Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can someone please help me translate this UNIX script to English? Post 302797173 by RudiC on Monday 22nd of April 2013 02:28:40 AM
Old 04-22-2013
Please use code tags, not quote tags, for code!

Code:
cd /DATA/CSV_FILES                      # change dir
for i in *.csv                          # loop for all files with .csv extension
  do if [ -f "$i" ]                     # if regular file
       then sed "s/^/$i,/" "$i" > temp  # prefix every line with respective file name
            sed 's/.*/&,/' temp >temp2  # suffix every line with comma
     fi
  cat temp2                             # list the file to stdout
  done > output.txt                     # redirect all above (= every .csv prefixed) to file 
rm -f temp*                             # remove tmp files

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please decode in English

Hello: Can anyone please decode this script in English. I have also made some comments which I know.. The actual script does not have one comment also.. #! /bin/ksh . odbmsprd_env.ksh #setting the env.. echo $0 Started at : `date '+%d-%m-%Y %H:%M:%S'` # what's echo $0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ST2000
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

describe unix commands in english

the following unix command ls | grep'?cw1' | wc -l converting it to english is it going to be like list the result of the search '?cw1' in number of lines is that correct ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: props
4 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Cannot translate Unix executable files

Help!! I loaded OS X Panther on my Mac G4 and found that many files previously saved as txt files were inadventently converted to Unix executable files. When I try to read these in Word, the Word filters cannot recognize or translate the file properly. Does anyone know how to translate these files?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Steven Greenber
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble with UNIX tr (translate) function

UNIX script - problem. I want the spaces in my Item variable to be replaced with a question mark. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong? This is the whole code line. Item | tr -s " " "?" Why is this not making any changes to the Item value? Thanks for any help you can give! tg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: by_tg
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to achicve translate in unix

hi, i have file with 4 columns, the first column contains 10 numbers. i want to replace t the numbers (u can say i want to use cryptography). i want to replace 1 with 4, 2 with 5, 3 with 9..... how can i achieve this in unix. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: javeed7
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

translate to normal english

lnode * head = temp; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rickym2626
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

translate a short csh script to bash

Hi, I have a csh: set NODES = `cat $HOST_FILE` set NODELIST = $TMPDIR/namd2.nodelist echo group main >! $NODELIST foreach node ( $NODES ) echo host $node >> $NODELIST end @ NUMPROCS = 2 * $#NODES I am very frustrated to translate it to bash: NODES = `cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Translate from english to french

Hi, I wrote a script to convert a given word from English to French. But I am not able to figure out what I am missing here. I am not able to get the translated word Below is my script: French=/root/dict/entofr.txt for i in $* do word="echo $word $i" done while: do cat <<... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinky7630
1 Replies