Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can someone please help me translate this UNIX script to English? Post 302797169 by thedunnyman on Monday 22nd of April 2013 02:13:53 AM
Old 04-22-2013
Question Can someone please help me translate this UNIX script to English?

Hi guys,

I'm trying to create a DataStage job and I'm basing it off an existing similar project.

The 'Input' value of the job is:

Quote:
cd /DATA/CSV_FILES; for i in *.csv ; do if [ -f "$i" ]; then sed "s/^/$i,/" "$i" > temp ; sed 's/.*/&,/' temp >temp2 ; fi ; cat temp2 ; done > output.txt; rm -f temp*
(where "/DATA/CSV_FILES" is where all the files were located)

My understanding is that for each CSV, it added the 'filename' as Column A. And then it joined all the CSV files together and created a single output.txt file.

I've copied everything that this job did - only that my CSVs are slightly different. Unfortunately when I run the job, it does not work and tells me that 'output.txt' is not in the folder. So I'm guessing I need to tweak this UNIX code a bit to suit my needs.

Problem is I don't understand it. Is anyone out there possible to give me some guidance on how to do this? (or better yet, translate it to English please? Smilie )

Kind regards

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please decode in English

Hello: Can anyone please decode this script in English. I have also made some comments which I know.. The actual script does not have one comment also.. #! /bin/ksh . odbmsprd_env.ksh #setting the env.. echo $0 Started at : `date '+%d-%m-%Y %H:%M:%S'` # what's echo $0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ST2000
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

describe unix commands in english

the following unix command ls | grep'?cw1' | wc -l converting it to english is it going to be like list the result of the search '?cw1' in number of lines is that correct ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: props
4 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Cannot translate Unix executable files

Help!! I loaded OS X Panther on my Mac G4 and found that many files previously saved as txt files were inadventently converted to Unix executable files. When I try to read these in Word, the Word filters cannot recognize or translate the file properly. Does anyone know how to translate these files?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Steven Greenber
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble with UNIX tr (translate) function

UNIX script - problem. I want the spaces in my Item variable to be replaced with a question mark. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong? This is the whole code line. Item | tr -s " " "?" Why is this not making any changes to the Item value? Thanks for any help you can give! tg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: by_tg
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to achicve translate in unix

hi, i have file with 4 columns, the first column contains 10 numbers. i want to replace t the numbers (u can say i want to use cryptography). i want to replace 1 with 4, 2 with 5, 3 with 9..... how can i achieve this in unix. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: javeed7
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

translate to normal english

lnode * head = temp; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rickym2626
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

translate a short csh script to bash

Hi, I have a csh: set NODES = `cat $HOST_FILE` set NODELIST = $TMPDIR/namd2.nodelist echo group main >! $NODELIST foreach node ( $NODES ) echo host $node >> $NODELIST end @ NUMPROCS = 2 * $#NODES I am very frustrated to translate it to bash: NODES = `cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Translate from english to french

Hi, I wrote a script to convert a given word from English to French. But I am not able to figure out what I am missing here. I am not able to get the translated word Below is my script: French=/root/dict/entofr.txt for i in $* do word="echo $word $i" done while: do cat <<... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinky7630
1 Replies
qmsg(1B)								PBS								  qmsg(1B)

NAME
qmsg - send message to pbs batch jobs SYNOPSIS
qmsg [-E] [-O] message_string job_identifier ... DESCRIPTION
To send a message to a job is to write a message string into one or more output files of the job. Typically this is done to leave an informative message in the output of the job. The qmsg command writes messages into the files of jobs by sending a Message Job batch request to the batch server that owns the job. The qmsg command does not directly write the message into the files of the job. OPTIONS
-E Specifies that the message is written to the standard error of each job. -O Specifies that the message is written to the standard output of each job. If neither the -E nor the -O option is specified, the message will be written to the standard error of the job. OPERANDS
The first operand, message_string, is the message to be written. If the string contains blanks, the string must be quoted. If the final character of the string is not a newline, a newline character will be added when written to the job's file. All following operands are job_identifiers which specify the jobs to receive the message string. The qmsg command accepts one or more job_identifier operands of the form: sequence_number[.server_name][@server] STANDARD ERROR
The qmsg command will write a diagnostic message to standard error for each error occurrence. EXIT STATUS
Upon successful processing of all the operands presented to the qmsg command, the exit status will be a value of zero. If the qmsg command fails to process any operand, the command exits with a value greater than zero. SEE ALSO
qsub(1B), pbs_msgjob(3B) Local qmsg(1B)