Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Basic doubt in UNIX
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Basic doubt in UNIX Post 302795483 by Pranaveen on Thursday 18th of April 2013 12:25:46 AM
Old 04-18-2013
Basic doubt in UNIX

Hi,

I'm new to this and very much interested to learn unix.
Can any one explain me the symbols y we use this is scripting(~ and $).
It would be great if some one explain with the eg.

Thanks
Naveen A

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic unix

okay, im having some trouble. Go ahead, call me a retard, but i keep getting stuck. Suppose i want to open a Picture of Jesus(for the sake of simplicity) using unix. I type: open Desktop/Pictures/Jesus.jpg It opens, and its all well and good. But, suppose i want to open a picture called Joe... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HipCracka
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Certainly basic doubt about IF

On the below "IF" i test if the user have put the first argument. I also would like to test if the user have written a second argument. So, my doubt is: - How can i evaluate 2 conditions on a if statement? How is the OR created? - How can i to verify if the second argument is non... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tmxps
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting basic doubt

Hi, I have a script called sam.sh which consists of a single echo statement like this #/usr/bin/ksh echo "Mani" I changed the mode for the script by giving chmod a+x sam.sh. If I want to execute the scrpt by just giving the name at the command line "sam.sh", what should I necessarily do?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhilmani123
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix basic help

What command would I use to list the first lines of all text files within my Unix directory or within any directory inside there? I was using "find" , "head" and "-exec" commands like this: find ~/Unix -name "*.txt" -exec head {} \; But its not perfectly working, please help me.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carrera911
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

got a basic doubt on cat-file permissions

Hi all, Today I was just fooling around with directories and faced this. I create a directory 'testdir' and create a file 'myfile' inside it. gandalf@gondor:~$ mkdir testdir gandalf@gondor:~$ cd testdir gandalf@gondor:~/testdir$ touch myfile Then I set the following permissions for the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj@chn
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Doubt

What is Primary Group & Secondary group and what is the difference between them. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishankar
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic SED doubt

Hi Friends!! I want to add a / at the end of a number. for example i have CQ65758 /, in this case i want to shift that backspace one space to the left so the my result becomes CQ65758/. How can i do that with sed. Thanks Adi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script basic doubt

hi, I am new script learner, so my basic doubt is , how to store value of any command in a variable example $ ls | wc -l i want to stote the output of this in a variable c. so that i can use c in if else loop. and when do we use " ` " symbol in script.. can anyone also tell for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hi2_t
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed basic doubt

Hi , what is the equivalent of below awk in sed. awk '$1=="ABC"&&$2=="XYZ" {print $0}' infile Thanks, Shruthi (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt in Unix ??

Is it possible to create unix or linux commands ? if it is then how to create ?:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Santhosh Raju
1 Replies
EDOS-RPMCHECK(1)					      General Commands Manual						  EDOS-RPMCHECK(1)

NAME
Edos-rpmcheck - Check satisfiability of rpm package dependencies SYNOPSIS
edos-rpmcheck [option] ... [package] ... DESCRIPTION
edos-rpmcheck reads from standard input a set of rpm package descriptions. Packages may appear with multiple versions in this set. For instance, an uncompressed hdlist.cz is suitable as input. We say that a package is identified in this set by the pair consisting of the package name and of the package version. A package (called goal) is called installable with respect to a set of packages if there exists a subset of the packages that - contains at most one version for each package name - contains the goal package (in any version, or a specific version) - all packages of the subset have their dependencies and conflicts satisfied in this subset. Edos-rpmcheck checks whether every package given as argument is installable with respect to the input set of packages. Specific versions can be specified by following the package name with the sign '=' and the version of the package (for instance, 'xemacs21=21.4.17-1'). If no package name is given as argument then all packages of the input set are checked for satisfiability. The constraint solving algorithm is complete, that is it finds a solution whenever there exists one, even for multiple disjunctive depen- dencies and deep package conflicts. This problem is computationally infeasible in theory (that is, NP-complete), but can in practice be solved very efficiently. OPTIONS
-explain Explain the results -rules Print generated rules -failures Only show failures -successes Only show successes -base file Specifiy an additional file providing packages that are not checked but used for resolving dependencies -quiet Supress warnings and progress/timing messages -xml Output results in XML format -help, --help Display this list of options EXAMPLE
Check which packages in a particular distribution are not installable and why: gunzip -c hdlist.cz | edos-rpmcheck -failures -explain where hdlist.cz is the file pertaining to that distribution. Check whether version 21.4.17-1 of the xemacs21 package is installable in a distribution described by the file Packages: gunzip -c hdlist.cz | edos-rpmcheck -explain xemacs=21.4.17-1 AUTHOR
Edos-rpmcheck has been written by Jerome Vouillon for the EDOS project. This man-page has been compiled by Ralf Treinen. SEE ALSO
<http://www.edos-project.org> is the home page of the EDOS project. edos-debcheck(1) is the analogous tool for debian packages. EDOS
2006-05-20 EDOS-RPMCHECK(1)