Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to set the break point using dbx? Post 302793771 by hanson44 on Saturday 13th of April 2013 03:26:28 PM
Old 04-13-2013
I don't use dbx. But I use gdb a lot. It always works for me. I say "break out1.c:10784" which is equivalent to the dbx "stop at" syntax.

You're on the right direction. You're just making some kind of little mistake. Have you made dbx work anywhere? Has dbx ever worked for you? If not, I would suggest compiling a short test program, and making dbx work in that environment first, before you try with the complex program you are studying.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Set up apache to point at my homepage

I have just install apache 1.3.22 on my solaris 2.6 with virtualhost which is working fine but I want to configure my httpd.conf file so that when I type in my url on an internet browsers it goes straight to my home page. eg www.mydomain.com should display my home page at the monent when I type... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fibre connection Point to Point SUN

Anyone know of a guide or instructions for Solaris I got to configure a SBUS HBA to talk to a tape robot. I have done this on a switch but not point to point. just going HBA >>>>> TAPE Fibre simple two nodes Kie (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kie
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set start point in script

Does anyone know of a way to set up some sort of marker in a shell script, from which the script can be restarted.. e.g. MARKER1 check env variable MAX_RETRY if var not set then while true do check var if set go to MARKER1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
2 Replies

4. Programming

Dbx Debugger

I have tried lots of stuff but i can't get it working, i have also found a Thread in this Forum about it but it didn't describe how the program has to be run ect. My issue is that i want to run a program with multiple arguments eg. ./myprog arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4 arg5 with dbx, but i cant get... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alcatros
8 Replies

5. Programming

dbx - attach to process, break when crash

Hey everyone, I have a process that is crashing, and I'd like to have some way to see where it crashes. Is this possible? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctote
2 Replies

6. Programming

dbx - break on access violations

Hey everyone, Is there a way to make dbx break on access violations? (2 Replies)
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I set DBX to break on an Access Violation?

I'm trying to debug a service crash, and would like to break on an access violation - is this possible? (0 Replies)
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: Break line, read, break again, read again...

...when the lines use both a colon and commas to separate the parts you want read as information. The first version of this script used cut and other non-Bash-builtins, frequently, which made it nice and zippy with little more than average processor load in GNOME Terminal but, predictably, slow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to perform a hexdump using dd from start point to end point?

hi, I would like to ask or is it possible to dump a hex using dd from starting point to end point just like the "xxd -s 512 -l 512 <bin file>" I know the redirect hexdump -C but i can't figure it out the combination options of dd. Hope someone can share their knowledge.. Thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to create a new mount point with 600GB and add 350 GBexisting mount point? IN AIX

How to create a new mount point with 600GB and add 350 GBexisting mount point Best if there step that i can follow or execute before i mount or add diskspace IN AIX Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thilagarajan
2 Replies
BTRACEBACK(1)					     Network backup, recovery and verification					     BTRACEBACK(1)

NAME
btraceback - wrapper script around gdb and bsmtp SYNOPSIS
btraceback /path/to/binary pid DESCRIPTION
btraceback is a wrapper shell script around the gdb debugger (or dbx on Solaris systems) and bsmtp, provided for debugging purposes. USAGE
btraceback is called by the exception handlers of the Bacula daemons during a crash. It can also be called interactively to view the cur- rent state of the threads belonging to a process, but this is not recommended unless you are trying to debug a problem (see below). NOTES
In order to work properly, debugging symbols must be available to the debugger on the system, and gdb, or dbx (on Solaris systems) must be available in the $PATH. If the Director or Storage daemon runs under a non-root uid, you will probably need to be modify the btraceback script to elevate privi- leges for the call to gdb/dbx, to ensure it has the proper permissions to debug when called by the daemon. Although Bacula's use of btraceback within its exception handlers is always safe, manual or interactive use of btraceback is subject to the same risks than live debugging of any program, which means it could cause Bacula to crash under rare and abnormal circumstances. Conse- quently we do not recommend manual use of btraceback in production environments unless it is required for debugging a problem. ENVIRONMENT
btracback relies on $PATH to find the debugger. FILES
/usr/lib/bacula/btraceback The script itself. /usr/sbin/btraceback symbolic link to /usr/lib/bacula/btraceback /etc/bacula/scripts/btraceback.gdb the GDB command batch used to output a stack trace AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Lucas B. Cohen <lbc@members.fsf.org> SEE ALSO
bsmtp(1) Kern Sibbald 6 December 2009 BTRACEBACK(1)