Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Why do awk command line vars behave the way they do? Post 302793585 by hanson44 on Friday 12th of April 2013 03:49:56 PM
Old 04-12-2013
Thanks for the responses. It doesn't really answer my question as to "why" it's set up this particular way. But I'm perfectly willing to accept that's "the way it is", and make best use of it.

Continuing that thought, from the man page, related to setting variables on the command line:
Quote:
Command line variable assignment is most useful for dynamically
assigning values to the variables AWK uses to control how input
is broken into fields and records. It is also useful for controlling
state if multiple passes are needed over a single data file.
The first sentence is obviously true. For the second sentence, does anyone have experience doing multiple passes over a single data file? It sounds maybe useful, but I don't remember seeing multiple passes before, and using command line variables to control state for multiple passes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK -> getting "global" vars

Hello, presently, I'm calling nawk from my main script and have nawk defined in one file. So I call nawk like this nawk -f file input This file defines how to separate mails in /var/mail/$user and show 1 at a time. However, I would also like to do other actions (delete message, forward... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: petoSVK
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a command line argument and a unix command to awk variables

Hi , I have a piece of code ...wherein I need to assign the following ... 1) A command line argument to a variable e.g origCount=ARGV 2) A unix command to a variable e.g result=`wc -l testFile.txt` in my awk shell script When I do this : print "origCount" origCount --> I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta_doshi
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk operating with shell vars only

Hi all How do I use awk such that it does not require an input file? I have a situation where I need to process some shell vars within awk (passed into awk with "-v VAR1=$VALUE1, VAR2=$VALUE2" etc), but that processing does not require/use an input file. Any guidance? TIA JG (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgrogan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read 2 $vars from file line by line

Need some help with the following Bourne Shell script. The script is only looping one time and then stops. The script should loop as many times as there are entries in the input file = $FILE_LIST line by line. The file has the path to a source file and the destination directory where the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Muga801
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail command behave odd

hi, The following mail cmd executed successfully. mailx -s 'subject' user@company.com < testfile.dat However When i include this mail cmd in shell script it behave odd. Getting an error message mailx comand not found. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zooby
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using current line in a command in AWK

Hi, Im trying to get current line in the AGREP command I use in AWK. My script looks like this: list.txt car bus checklist.txt cer buss cat list.txt | awk -v mycmd="$(agrep -2 -i $0 checklist.txt)" '{print $mycmd}' It doesnt work. How can I get the current line in the $0... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: m4rty
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need an awk command to delete a line

Hi all, As of now am using an awk command to check the number of columns in a file that has 10 lakh rows. Is it possible to remove that particular line having an extra column and copy the remaining lines to a new file ? YOUR HELP IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED. THANKS IN ADVANCE (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahul619
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command line - awk, sed

My input file gfile values is CTRY=GM&PROJTYPE=SP&PROJECTTYPE=Small+Project If i am giving PROJECTTYPE then it must give Small Project awk -F"&" '{for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) if ($i ~ "^"PAT) {sub ("^"PAT"=", "", $i); sed 's/'+'/""/' $i ; print $i }}' PAT=$1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass awk field to a command line executed within awk

Hi, I am trying to pass awk field to a command line executed within awk (need to convert a timestamp into formatted date). All my attempts failed this far. Here's an example. It works fine with timestamp hard-codded into the command echo "1381653229 something" |awk 'BEGIN{cmd="date -d... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuxer
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk command not replacing in first line

As per requirement if column 2 is NULL then 'N' ELSE 'Y'. I have written below awk code. But it is not replacing values for first line. :confused: cat temp.txt 1|abc|3 1||4 1|11|c awk -F'|' '{if($2==""){$2="N"}else{$2="Y"} print $0 } {OFS="|"} ' < temp.txt 1 Y 3 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_hammer
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)