Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to detect empty field in awk ? Post 302793501 by Yoda on Friday 12th of April 2013 12:52:11 PM
Old 04-12-2013
To conserve space, programmers normally use '1' instead of '{print}' to print each line. Either one will work.

1 means true (1 == true), so the default action for awk is to print current record.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk scrip to remove empty field

Hi I have a file which looks like this name: Sally group: Group4 name: Tim group: Group1 name: Dan group: Group2 name: Chris group: Group3 name: Peter group: name: Fred group: name: Mary group: Group2 Well I want to get rid of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bombcan
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count of Field for Non-Empty

Hi Guys, I wanted to count the number of records for a particular field of a file. whose fields are separated by comma"," I fI use this command. cat "filename" cut -sd "," -f13 | wc -l This shows all the lines count including the blank values for the field number 13. I wanted to count... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Swapna173
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - if field is empty, move line to new file

I have a script with this statement: /usr/xpg4/bin/awk -F"" 'NR==FNR{s=$2;next}{printf "%s\"%s\"\n", $0, s}' LOOKUP.TXT finallistnew.txt >test.txt I want to include logic or an additional step that says if there is no data in field 3, move the whole line out of test.txt into an additional... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptr2be
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

use awk to replace empty fields with the latest nonempty field

Hi suppose I have a csv file like this count,1977,1978,1979 usa, , , blue japan, red, yellow,green india, , yellow,blue china, blue, yellow, green I want the output to be(replace everything, including empty data, with the most recent data): ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grossgermany
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format the file by deleting empty field

I have the test data with 10 column separated by comma and each column has more than 1000000 rows. Can anyone help me to find empty field in all columns and delete that empty field alone and lift that column up by one row. Data with empty field: A74203XYZ,A21718XYZ,A72011XYZ,A41095XYZ,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zooby
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - remove row if specific field is empty/blank

I have this text.filecharles darwin sam delight george washington johnson culper darwin sam delight micheal jackson penny lite and would like to remove the row, if the first field is blank. so the result would be: result.filecharles darwin sam ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: charles33
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove empty field

Hi all ! I'm sure it is a basic question but I didn't find any threads that fit my need. How to remove empty fields with awk? Or in other words, how to shift all the fields after an empty field on the left? input: 1|2||3|4|5||6 wanted: 1|2|3|4|5|6 I tried: awk '{for(i=1; i<=NF;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

print non empty column/field value

I have below file 25-09-2012 24-09-2012 19-09-2012 31-07-2012 30-04-2012 30-03-2012 ASIAEXFVNV N/A CEU 4 DMIRSOA N/A CAS 2 2 2 DMIRSOA N/A MIDMT 2 NFIAL22 N/A HVNY 11 11 11 NFIAL22 N/A NYAL3 11 11 11 NFIAL22 N/A NYCN 11 11 11 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
4 Replies

9. Web Development

Php help to copy form field if empty

I have an input form with several fields. What I would like to achieve is to auto populate or copy certain fields if they are empty when the form is submitted. I would like to use php if not then javascript but not jquery if possible - I have sort of had a go but I really have no idea... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using awk to remove duplicate line if field is empty

Hi all, I've got a file that has 12 fields. I've merged 2 files and there will be some duplicates in the following: FILE: 1. ABC, 12345, TEST1, BILLING, GV, 20/10/2012, C, 8, 100, AA, TT, 100 2. ABC, 12345, TEST1, BILLING, GV, 20/10/2012, C, 8, 100, AA, TT, (EMPTY) 3. CDC, 54321, TEST3,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tugar
4 Replies
cancel(1)																 cancel(1)

NAME
cancel - cancel print request SYNOPSIS
cancel [ request-ID...] [destination...] cancel -u user... [destination...] The cancel utility cancels print requests. There are two forms of the cancel command. The first form of cancel has two optional arguments: print requests (request-ID) and destinations (destination). Specifying request-ID with destination cancels request-ID on destination. Specifying only the destination cancels the current print request on destination. If desti- nation is not specified, cancel cancels the requested print request on all destinations. The second form of cancel cancels a user's print requests on specific destinations. Users can only cancel print requests associated with their username. By default, users can only cancel print requests on the host from which the print request was submitted. If a super-user has set user-equivalence=true in /etc/printers.conf on the print server, users can cancel print requests associated with their username on any host. Super-users can cancel print requests on the host from which the print request was submitted. Superusers can also cancel print requests from the print server. The print client commands locate destination information using the printers database in the name service switch. See nsswitch.conf(4), printers(4), and printers.conf(4) for details. The following options are supported: -u user The name of the user for which print requests are to be cancelled. Specify user as a username. The following operands are supported: destination The destination on which the print requests are to be canceled. destination is the name of a printer or class of printers (see lpadmin(1M)). If destination is not specified, cancel cancels the requested print request on all destinations. Specify destination using atomic or POSIX-style (server:destination), names. See for information regarding using POSIX-style des- tination names with cancel. See standards(5) for information regarding POSIX. request-ID The print request to be canceled. Specify request-ID using LP-style request IDs (destination-number). user The name of the user for which the print requests are to be cancelled. Specify user as a username. The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. non-zero An error occurred. /var/spool/print/* LP print queue. $HOME/.printers User-configurable printer database. /etc/printers.conf System printer configuration database. printers.conf.byname NIS version of /etc/printers.conf. printers.org_dir NIS+ version of /etc/printers.conf. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWpcu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ lp(1), lpq(1B), lpr(1B), lprm(1B), lpstat(1), lpadmin( 1M), nsswitch.conf(4), printers(4), printers.conf(4), attributes(5), standards(5) POSIX-style destination names (server:destination) are treated as print requests if destination has the same format as an LP-style request- ID. See standards(5). Some print servers send cancelation notification to job owners when their print jobs have been cancelled. This notification usually comes in the form of an email message. Cancelation notices cannot be disabled on a Solaris server. 23 Feb 2005 cancel(1)