Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Logrotate - I am not able to rotate files using logrotate Post 302793375 by VSom007 on Friday 12th of April 2013 08:12:05 AM
Old 04-12-2013
Linux Logrotate - I am not able to rotate files using logrotate

I have written script which is working in Home directory perfectly and also compressing log files and rotating correctly. But, when i try to run script for /var/log/ i am able to get compressed log files but not able to get rotation of compressed log files. Please suggest.
I am using below command to rotate the the cpmpressed files.
Code:
/usr/sbin/logrotate -s filepath/test.status filepath/test.conf

Note : I guess I don't have access related issue because i can move, delete compressed log file with same ID.
The files i am compressing and script stored have completely different paths. is it creating problem? please suggest.

Last edited by Franklin52; 04-16-2013 at 03:08 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for code and data samples

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

logrotate isn't rotating files any longer

I have been using logrotate for quite awhile now. Most logs are rotated daily, using /etc/cron.daily. I noticed that the logs in question have not been rotated since April 6, but daily up to that point. I have logrotate in /etc/cron.daily. The basic command is: /usr/sbin/logrotate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manouche
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

logrotate with /etc/logrotate.conf file

Hi there, I want to rotate the logfiles which are located in /var/log/jboss/tomcat* so I have created a file named as 'tomat' in /etc/logrotate.d/tomcat with the following content. # cat /etc/logrotate.d/tomcat /var/log/jboss/tomcat_access_log*.log { daily nocreate ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skmdu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to logrotate log files

Hi, I have written a script that runs every five minutes in cron schedular. The Operating system is Fedora core 9. This script generates 2 log files, these log file size is increasing as some log data is being dumped into these 2 log files every five minutes. I need to logrotate these 2 files.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: renuka
1 Replies

4. Linux

Using logrotate to trim files that are created every 15 mins

I have an application (puppet) that generates report files every 15 minutes in the format: /var/lib/puppet/reports/hostname.fqdn/report-201007221515.yaml /var/lib/puppet/reports/hostname.fqdn/report-201007221530.yaml .. I only really need to keep one days worth of these reports and am trying... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aussieos
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

logrotate ignore 'rotate' setting.

the 'rotate' setting in my logrotate configurations is being ignored when run from the crontab. I have tested my configurations using the "-d" option, the rotation count is working when I do the test. Here are my configuration settings, is there anything I am doing wrong? # cat -n... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkoenen
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

Logrotate not removing old files

Hi Guys, Need some help with the logrotate for one of our servers. I had setup a logrotation so that all files that go under old/ folder should be removed after one week. The log files are rotated daily from the main folder to old/ folder. (everything on one server) Below is the sample I am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rotate modsec log with logrotate in the global configuration

Hello Experts, I have an apache 2.2.17 on solaris 10 that I am not sure if I, could list the following in the global settings in httpd.conf. I tested it in the Virtual host section of httpd.conf and, it works but, not sure if I can do it in the global settings. Any help would be greatly... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: afadaghi
0 Replies

8. Debian

Logrotate truncated my log files to 0 bytes and no logs are written

Hi, Yesterday I installed and configured logrotate on my Debian machine. I was expecting this to run at 06:25 in the morning and it actually did. All my old logs were compressed and zipped but the new logs were all with size equal to 0 bytes. Processes, while still running ok, they were not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmatsinopoulos
2 Replies

9. AIX

Logrotate - /etc/logrotate.conf does't exist

Hi Admins. I have installed logrotate rpm on Aix 6.1. After the installation of rpm, I don't find /etc/logrotate.conf file and /etc/logrotate.d dir . The config file is located in /opt/freeware/etc/logrotate.conf. When I ran logrotate -v /opt/freeware/etc/logrotate.conf I get below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Logrotate and Compressing only yesterdays files

Hello, I have a syslog server at home and am currently experiencing an issue where my logs will rotate and compress however it will rotate and compress yesterdays file and the newly created log file for the current day. When it does this however it will also create another new file for today... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyUserName7000
9 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files. By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info, usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files, and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath usr/share/fonts/X11/ FILES
debian/package.compress These files are deprecated. If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to. OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from compression. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. -A, --all Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. file ... Add these files to the list of files to compress. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.0 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 8.9.0ubuntu2.1 2012-06-12 DH_COMPRESS(1)