Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX & TAR related stuff
Operating Systems AIX AIX & TAR related stuff Post 302790981 by filosophizer on Sunday 7th of April 2013 02:03:54 PM
Old 04-07-2013
13. Tar and ZIP -- multiple directories in one command

we have directories
/oracle
/oracle1
/oracle2

Code:
tar -cvf -  /oracle /oracle1 /oracle2 | gzip > /backup/oracle_backup.tgz

14. unTar and unZIP -- one specific directory from the tar archive in one command

Can someone help with this one. How to untar unzip from oracle_backup.tgz one specific folder which is oracle2 ?

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & tar execution problem

I'm trying to set up a stanard sh script that will find all the files that have been changed within the last day and then tar them up. I think the command line should be something like : find /home/bob -atime +0 -exec \ tar cvf /home/bob/files.tar {}\; Help please ... Thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ianf
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/hd* ?? & HTFS .... What is this stuff?

# grep "Jul 3" syslog.messages | more Jul 3 00:16:03 www3 CPU3: NOTICE: HTFS: No space on dev hd (1/42) Jul 3 00:16:08 www3 CPU3: NOTICE: HTFS: No space on dev hd (1/42) Jul 3 00:17:01 www3 CPU2: NOTICE: HTFS: No space on dev hd (1/42) Jul 3 00:17:06 www3 syslogd: /usr/adm/debug: No space... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cameron
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

disaster recover w/tar & find

Hi, I am creating a disaster recovery plan for my Linux 7.2 machine. I have two backups from my current machine. One created using the command tar -cvpf /dev/st0 --exclude=/proc --directory / . and one created with the command find / /boot /home -mount -path '/proc' -prune -o -print |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeremiebarber
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar & Grep together

Hi, I've got dozens of tar's with two files in each one, live_access_log & live_error_log (one tar for each day, backups). The probelm is i need to match a pattern in all of the archive_access_log files and output the line to a seperate file (All_access.log). I.e. I need to get details... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: tom123
21 Replies

5. Solaris

Tar & Tape drive without media

Hi all, I would like to know what would happen if the tape (media) is not placed on the drive and a tar command is executed to backup on the tape. My problem is that tar command hanged for multiple days instead of throwing the error, Is it valid behaviour? I was unable to test the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmsathish
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare 2 files & get only few columns based on a condition related to both files?

Hiiiii friends I have 2 files which contains huge data & few lines of it are as shown below File1: b.dat(which has 21 columns) SSR 1976 8 12 13 10 44.00 39.0700 70.7800 7.0 0 0.00 0 2.78 0.00 0.00 0 0.00 2.78 0 NULL ISC 1976 8 12 22 32 37.39 36.2942 70.7338... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: reva
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Few things related to HBA port & fcinfo command

Hi Gurus I need to know few things related to HBA port & fcinfo command I have a server where there are 4 HBA ports cards are their. Out of 4 ports 2 are in use & 2 are not in use when I check it physicall. Now I want to know the command through which I can get information about all above... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
6 Replies

8. AIX

How to upgrade AIX Firmware & TL Maintenance Level in AIX

Steps to upgrade AIX TL ( technology Level ) / Maintenance Level in AIX ( including Firmware HMC VIOS ) This article or post covers upgrades for - Hardware Management Console ( HMC ) - Firmware ( also known as microcode ) - VIO ( Virtual I/O Server = PowerVM ) - AIX Version, Technology... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with tar & zip only last months(say,Sep) files

Need to 1. archive all the files in a directory from the previous month into a tar/gz file, ignoring all already archived 'tar.gz' files 2. Check created .tar.gz file isnt corrupted and has all the required files in it. and then remove the original files. I am using a function to get the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prev
1 Replies

10. AIX

GNU TAR vs NATIVE AIX TAR

Hello, Getting this very strange error, made tar/zip through gnu tar GNU Tar ( successful tar and zip without any errors ) /opt/freeware/bin/tar cvf - /oraapp| gzip > /backup/bkp_15_6_16_oraapp.tgz GNU unTar error root@test8:/>gunzip < /config1/bkp_15_6_16_oraapp.tgz |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies
FUNZIP(1L)																FUNZIP(1L)

NAME
funzip - filter for extracting from a ZIP archive in a pipe SYNOPSIS
funzip [-password] [input[.zip|.gz]] ARGUMENTS
[-password] Optional password to be used if ZIP archive is encrypted. Decryption may not be supported at some sites. See DESCRIPTION for more details. [input[.zip|.gz]] Optional input archive file specification. See DESCRIPTION for details. DESCRIPTION
funzip without a file argument acts as a filter; that is, it assumes that a ZIP archive (or a gzip'd(1) file) is being piped into standard input, and it extracts the first member from the archive to stdout. When stdin comes from a tty device, funzip assumes that this cannot be a stream of (binary) compressed data and shows a short help text, instead. If there is a file argument, then input is read from the speci- fied file instead of from stdin. A password for encrypted zip files can be specified on the command line (preceding the file name, if any) by prefixing the password with a dash. Note that this constitutes a security risk on many systems; currently running processes are often visible via simple commands (e.g., ps(1) under Unix), and command-line histories can be read. If the first entry of the zip file is encrypted and no password is specified on the command line, then the user is prompted for a password and the password is not echoed on the console. Given the limitation on single-member extraction, funzip is most useful in conjunction with a secondary archiver program such as tar(1). The following section includes an example illustrating this usage in the case of disk backups to tape. EXAMPLES
To use funzip to extract the first member file of the archive test.zip and to pipe it into more(1): funzip test.zip | more To use funzip to test the first member file of test.zip (any errors will be reported on standard error): funzip test.zip > /dev/null To use zip and funzip in place of compress(1) and zcat(1) (or gzip(1L) and gzcat(1L)) for tape backups: tar cf - . | zip -7 | dd of=/dev/nrst0 obs=8k dd if=/dev/nrst0 ibs=8k | funzip | tar xf - (where, for example, nrst0 is a SCSI tape drive). BUGS
When piping an encrypted file into more and allowing funzip to prompt for password, the terminal may sometimes be reset to a non-echo mode. This is apparently due to a race condition between the two programs; funzip changes the terminal mode to non-echo before more reads its state, and more then ``restores'' the terminal to this mode before exiting. To recover, run funzip on the same file but redirect to /dev/null rather than piping into more; after prompting again for the password, funzip will reset the terminal properly. There is presently no way to extract any member but the first from a ZIP archive. This would be useful in the case where a ZIP archive is included within another archive. In the case where the first member is a directory, funzip simply creates the directory and exits. The functionality of funzip should be incorporated into unzip itself (future release). SEE ALSO
gzip(1L), unzip(1L), unzipsfx(1L), zip(1L), zipcloak(1L), zipinfo(1L), zipnote(1L), zipsplit(1L) URL
The Info-ZIP home page is currently at http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ or ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ . AUTHOR
Mark Adler (Info-ZIP) Info-ZIP 28 February 2005 (v3.94) FUNZIP(1L)