Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tricky BASH quoting question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tricky BASH quoting question Post 302790639 by wisecracker on Saturday 6th of April 2013 06:10:05 AM
Old 04-06-2013
The terminal IS interactive, so why not experiment with it first!

Do you mean something like this:-

This lists all the files in my "Others" folder, shown here as "Oth*"

Note the inverted commas ARE important!

Note "Health and safety.txt" has spaces in it...

Code:
Last login: Sat Apr  6 11:04:17 on ttys000
Barrys-MacBook-Pro:~ barrywalker$ text="/Users/barrywalker/Desktop/Oth*"
Barrys-MacBook-Pro:~ barrywalker$ ls $text
1-8504-140043.pdf		Atheism.txt~			KEVIN.TXT			PyAudio.py.txt			Tesco-Net-Dump.txt
8outputDTMF.pdf			Atheism1.txt			KEVIN1.TXT			Python14.readme			The_Day.txt
AMIGA.TXT			Atheist-Quotes.txt		Kung-Fu.txt			Python3.html			The_Day.txt~
AMIGA_Peek_Mem.txt		BT-20-05-2012.html		LXF_POEM.TXT			Python3_files			URLs.txt
AMINET_INDEX			BT-20-05-2012_files		Limerick.txt			RF_Attenuator.txt		Upside-Down.txt
ANSI_Codes.txt			BWBASIC.TXT			Locate_Demo.py.txt		RF_Attenuator.txt~		Useful_commands.txt
AQOTD.txt			Backwards-compatibility.TXT	MMU-INFO.TXT			RF_PROBE_CALIB.pdf		Useful_commands.txt~
AQOTD_hymn.txt			DE737HJ.txt			MYAUDIO.TXT			Republican_Scandals.txt		V3.3Builtins.txt
ATHEIST.TXT			DEVICES.TXT			Mac_Forum_Insult.txt		Republicans.txt			Vertex_Sp_Mic.pdf
ATHEIST.TXT~			DSC_0534.jpg			Maths_Fuctions.txt		Rhetoric.rtf			Victims_of_Christianity.txt
ATHEIST_DONE.TXT		DV2036EA.PDF			Mullard-ValveData-1951.pdf	Root.txt			Web-Address.txt
ATHEIST_DONE.TXT~		DataLogger.txt			Newspaper-bias.txt		Root.txt~			Web-Host-Ad.txt
Agostino_reply.txt		Discussion.txt			Nursery_Rhymes.txt		SETH.txt			amigados_manual.pdf
AppleScript_For_Beginners.pdf	E-UAE_Shortcut_Keys.txt		Ode_To_The_AMIGA.TXT		SETH2.txt			hexdump
Apple_Licence_Xcode.rtf		EVENTS.TXT			PCI.TXT				SUDO.TXT			my_monthly_fix.txt
Atheism-02-02-2013		Enter_UEFI.txt			PEEKMEM.BAS			Scope_Info.txt			python1.pdf
Atheism-02-02-2013~		Foward_Compatibility_1.txt	PYGAME.TXT			Scope_Info.txt~			seth1.txt
Atheism-03-02-2013		God_Rap.txt			Park-Resorts-HQ.txt		Skype.pdf			seth4.txt
Atheism-03-02-2013~		HW.TXT				Patents.txt			Store				tkinter.pdf
Atheism.txt			Health and safety.txt		Pauls-number.txt		Tams_Work.txt			water.txt
Barrys-MacBook-Pro:~ barrywalker$

EDIT:

Code:
Last login: Sat Apr  6 12:02:55 on ttys000
Barrys-MacBook-Pro:~ barrywalker$ textone="/Users/barrywalker/"
Barrys-MacBook-Pro:~ barrywalker$ texttwo="Desk*/"
Barrys-MacBook-Pro:~ barrywalker$ ls $textone$texttwo
AppleScript Language	Code			Others
Barrys-MacBook-Pro:~ barrywalker$ textthree="*"
Barrys-MacBook-Pro:~ barrywalker$ ls $textone$texttwo$textthree
/Users/barrywalker/Desktop/AppleScript Language

/Users/barrywalker/Desktop/Code:
1KHz_Function_Generator_OSX.py		MCG2x.py
1KHz_Function_Generator_OSX.py~		MCG3x.py
1KHz_Sine_Generator_OSX.py		MPO.b
1KHz_Sine_Generator_OSX.py~		MPO2x.py
1KHz_Sine_Wave.py			MPO3x.py
1KHz_Sine_Wave.py~			MagicEye1.py
4BitVerticalBargraph2x.py		MagicEye3x.py
4BitVerticalBargraph3x.py		MagicEye_AMIGA.py
4BitVerticalBargraph3x_1.py		MagicEye_AMIGA.py~
8bitaccess.py				Magic_Eye.py
8bitaccess.py~				Max_Freq.py
AC2DC.py				Max_Freq.py~
AC2DC_OSX.py				Metronome2x.py
AC2DC_OSX.py~				Metronome3x.py

Last edited by wisecracker; 04-06-2013 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: Adding wildcards in drawers and files!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky script question

Hi, I'm in the midst of writing a UNIX script that sftp's files to an external host and am stuck with a problem. The problem is that the files created on my server as a order number that correlates to a sequence of directories on the remote host which is where the file should be ftp'ed. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: budrito
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tricky Quotation Question

Hi, I am at a point in my script where I defined the number of the command line parameter I would like to set a variable equal to: parameter_number=14 I would then like to set a variable equal to the correct parameter: variable=$parameter_number The issue here is that {} is required... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH quoting behavior

The block below isn't a surprise:$ ls file1 file2 file3 $ x=* $ echo $x file1 file2 file3 $ echo '$x' $x $ echo "$x" * $But I found this block a bit bewildering:$ echo $x' >' * $I'm wondering why substitution wasn't performed on the $x, since it was unquoted (as far as I can tell).... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: na5m
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

quoting question

hi guys, i have a question related to quoting but i am not sure how to formulate it... lets say we want to simulate the following shell actions cd ~/project-dir ctags /home/work/folder1/*.sh /home/work/folder2/*.sh /home/work/folder3/*.sh so i make the following script buidtags.sh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aegis
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quoting issue: Trouble with bash strings in script

I can do this on the command line: sqsh -S 192.168.x.x -o tmp -U user -P fakepass -D horizon -C "\ select second_id from borrower where btype like '%wsd%' " I can also just leave the SQL at the end intact on one line .... ... However, when I throw this in a script like: $SQSH -o... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubnoff
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another tricky sed or awk question

This post is in reference to https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/137977-tricky-sed-awk-question-post302428154.html#post302428154 I am trying to go the opposite direction now: I have the following file: a,b,C,f,g a,b,D,f,g a,b,E,f,g h,i,J,k,l m,n,O,t,u m,n,P,t,u m,n,Q,t,u... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: awayand
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: correct quoting with find and exiv2?

Hi, I need to embed a metatag to image files which contain qrcodes, i usually do this with exiv -M "set Exif.Image.DocumentName `zbarimg -q -Sdisable -Sqrcode.enable --raw image.tif`" image.tif which works fine. However I need to do this recursivly for whole directory and subdiretory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcframe
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tricky GREP question..

I have some large login files that I need to extract (user)@(server) from. Where it gets tricky is that there is usually more than one '@' sign on each line(although it does have a leading space if it's not part of the (user)@(server) string), I need only the (user)@(server) section, I need only... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mordaris
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quoting / interface question

Hi, My first shell script is one that prints the five largest directories in a given directory. My current effort is as follows, it gives me the output I'd like, but I have to quote a globbed pathname, which seems wrong: #!/bin/sh du -hs $1 | sort -rn | head -n 5 And I must invoke... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aardymir
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash quoting

I am trying to write a BASH script that will prompt a user to enter a number of days, then calculate the date. My problem is the date command uses single or double quotes. For Example.. date -d "7 days" Here is an example of some same code I am trying to work through. echo "when do you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: javajockey
4 Replies