Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Understanding C++ template partial specialization with pointer datatype arguments Post 302790337 by royalibrahim on Friday 5th of April 2013 07:28:40 AM
Old 04-05-2013
Understanding C++ template partial specialization with pointer datatype arguments

When I compile the below code, I am getting error as

Code:
template<typename T> T AddFun(T i, T j) {
    return i + j;
}

template<> T* AddFun<T*>(T* i, T* j) {
    return new T(*i + *j);
}

int main() {
    int n = AddFun<int>(10, 20);
    int i = 10, j = 20;
    int* p = AddFun<int*>(&i, &j);
}

9: error: ‘T’ does not name a type
13: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘int’

If I change the prototype to
Code:
template<typename T> T* AddFun<T*>(T* i, T* j)

then I get the error as 9: error: function template partial specialization ‘AddFun<T*>’ is not allowed.

Kindly help me to correct this problem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

2. Programming

Help understanding pointer assignment in c

after some years of pause, im returning to c. char *varname = "asd"; int *number = 4; the above code is wrong, because its assigning a value to an unreserved space, or because its changing the address the pointer is pointing ? thanks for the replys!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
3 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

Understanding Functions, sh, and arguments

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: So I have to write a Bourne script that will add two numbers, taking only two arguments and informs the user when it is used incorrectly. 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: It has to be done in sh. I think overall,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lee.n.doan
3 Replies

4. Programming

How to get the size of the datatype passed as the command line argumet?

#include <stdio.h> int main(int argc, char *argv) { printf("%d\n", sizeof(argv)); return 0; } when I run the executable a.out after compiling the above program as: a.out short (or) a.out "long double", I expected to get the output as 2 and 12, but I am always getting the size of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - Print partial line/partial field

Hello, this is probably a simple request but I've been toying with it for a while. I have a large list of devices and commands that were run with a script, now I have lines such as: a-router-hostname-C#show ver I want to print everything up to (and excluding) the # and everything after it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ippy98
3 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

trouble understanding file option and command line arguments

Hi, I am creating a program with the C language that simulates the WC command in Unix. My program needs to count lines, bytes and words. I have not added the code to count bytes and words yet. I am having trouble understanding what the file option/flag '-' does. I can not visualize how it moves... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heywoodfloyd
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with separating datatype, column name

Hi All, I am new to unix but have a requirement wherein I need to separate datatype,length, and column name from input file which is of below format -- record integer(10) empid; string(25) name; date("YYYY-MM-DD") dob; decimal(10) salary; end now after getting datatype,its length and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoenix09
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Datatype file validation

I have a sourcefile which contains data as below.I want to check whether datatype,structure and date format looks good as mentioned. Data is delemited by cydila . Source file-Emp.txt sno name phoneno dept joineddate 1 vivek 0861 CSE 2013-05-29 00:00:00 2 dinesh 123456 ECE ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: katakamvivek
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Datatype and length validation

I have sourcefile and structure of source file,i want to check whether datatype and length mention in emp.txt is same as source file. Example: in emp.txt first row contains sno number so in source file also first column should contain only number if data is other than number then that... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Datatype,structure and dateformat checking.

I have a sourcefile which contains data as below.I want to check whether datatype,structure and date format looks good as mentioned. Data is delemited by cydila Ç. Source file-Emp.txt snoÇnameÇphonenoÇdeptÇjoineddate 1ÇvivekÇ0861ÇCSEÇ2013-05-29 00:00:00 2ÇdineshÇ123456ÇECEÇ2013-05-29 00:00:00... (8 Replies)
8 Replies
mktemp(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						mktemp(3C)

NAME
mktemp - make a unique file name from a template SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> char *mktemp(char *template); DESCRIPTION
The mktemp() function replaces the contents of the string pointed to by template with a unique file name, and returns template. The string in template should look like a file name with six trailing 'X's; mktemp() will replace the 'X's with a character string that can be used to create a unique file name. Only 26 unique file names per thread can be created for each unique template. RETURN VALUES
The mktemp() function returns the pointer template. If a unique name cannot be created, template points to a null string. ERRORS
No errors are defined. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Generate a filename. The following example replaces the contents of the "template" string with a 10-character filename beginning with the characters "file" and returns a pointer to the "template" string that contains the new filename. #include <stdlib.h> ... char *template = "/tmp/fileXXXXXX"; char *ptr; ptr = mktemp(template); USAGE
Between the time a pathname is created and the file opened, it is possible for some other process to create a file with the same name. The mkstemp(3C) function avoids this problem and is preferred over this function. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mkstemp(3C), tmpfile(3C), tmpnam(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Sep 2004 mktemp(3C)