Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Tail command issue in Linux Post 302790255 by anbu23 on Friday 5th of April 2013 04:54:25 AM
Old 04-05-2013
+ may not be available in your tail command.Check man tail

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue Filtering Tail

Hi Folks, I have a log that contains data as shown below: 11:59:43,144 (1,850) Signal : .... 11:59:44,109 (1850) Bps : ..... I wish to remove "" from all lines and it is on the start of every line. I have achieved that successfully using the command: tail -f imp.log | sed 's/\... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: umairrahman
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Find command on Linux

Hi, I am issuing find command below mentioned ways but it givs different count. I don't understand the behaviour. Could any one have any clue? $ find . -mtime -5 -maxdepth 1 -exec ls -lrt {} \; | wc -l 169 $ find . -mtime -5 -maxdepth 1 | wc -l 47 $ find . -mtime -5 -maxdepth 1 | wc -l... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Help piping tail to read STDIN

Hello everybody, I need some help here. I have a log file that gets updated every hour approximately. I want to make some processing on each line which is added in the log file with a program written in PERL. The problem is that I don't see anything when a line is added in the log file. I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samb95
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail issue!

Hi, I had few scripts which were running fine on linux: uname -a Linux ######### 2.6.9-89.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Apr 20 10:33:05 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux from some front end application. Recently there was a migration of this application on some other linux m/c: uname -a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK / tail Issue

Hello, I am using a tail command to fetch the line before last in a log file. the two last lines are as followed: 11-01-16 11:55:45.174 | CClientObject::InitTraceLevelInCache Starting CClientObject::InitTraceLevelInCache End I am doing a awk statement to gather only the numeric... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command issue in linux

I ran one the script in debug mode in linux and have a problem ret='$prmAttunityUser=ais' Now i need to remove $ from this '$prmAttunityUser=ais' so i had added a sed command like this sed 's/$//g' but its not working could you all please help me with an alternate command I want the output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vee_789
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Issue in Linux Command

Hi, :wall: I am not able to run any utility command in Redat, Please see the below example and suggest me how I shall run this type of command. $ su Password: # ifconfig bash: ifconfig: command not found # which ifconfig /usr/bin/which: no ifconfig in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradipta_pks
3 Replies

8. Solaris

[SOLVED] Issue with hostname command

Hi, i'm having issues with one of my db servers, each time i run the hostname command i get "-a" as result this is the only zone on this server where i have this issue. could any one help me with this issue (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EduardoDiaz
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Issue in tmadmin command in Linux

Hi , I am trying to execute the below command, i got error msg.. Please advice me how to solve this See, When i raised psr cmd., then i got error like above , Please help on this THanks Mani (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mani_apr08
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple sed command not working; could be a Mac/Linux vs. PC/Linux issue

Hello, I am on a Mac and trying to clean up some monthly files with a very simple SED: sed '3,10d;/<ACROSS>/,$d' input.txt > output.txt (from the input, delete lines 3 - 10; then delete from the line containing <ACROSS> to the end of the file) then output to output.txt Even when I try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verbatim
2 Replies
MOTD.TAIL(5)						   Debian Administrator's Manual					      MOTD.TAIL(5)

NAME
motd.tail - Template for building the system message of the day DESCRIPTION
On Debian systems, the system message of the day is rebuilt at each startup, in order to display an accurate information. /etc/motd.tail is the file to edit permanent changes to the message of the day. OVERVIEW
The initiation script /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh prepends a line containing information about the system to /etc/motd.tail and stores the resulting file in /var/run/motd. /etc/motd is a symbolic link to /var/run/motd. This is done to prevent changes to /etc as the system can not assume /etc to be writable. Changes to /etc/motd effectively end up in a file under /var/run which will be regenerated upon reboot. A symbolic link to a different file, such as /etc/motd.static disables this behaviour. FILES
/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh The initiation script which builds /var/run/motd /etc/motd Symbolic link to the system message of the day at /var/run/motd /etc/motd.tail Template for building the system message of the day /var/run/motd System message of the day file rebuilt at each computer start SEE ALSO
login(1), issue(5), motd(5). Debian 2007-04-28 MOTD.TAIL(5)