Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Why regex pattern doesn't work in find? Post 302789929 by Corona688 on Thursday 4th of April 2013 12:26:08 PM
Old 04-04-2013
You forgot to quote it, so the shell ate all your backslashes, turning it into (.*rvlogs.*|.*main.*)

I wouldn't trust the -regex option though, if it considers the entire path, because how do you know you're matching 'main' in the folder name itself and not something like /opt/data_main/folder_you_do_not_want ? I'd stick with -name.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find size of each subdirect? du -sk | ls doesn't work

Using solaris 2.5.1, and how can I get a summary of the size of each subdirectory, say for /export/home, all the users? usually I do a du -sk dirname but I have to manually type in each name, is there a better way? Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why doesn't this work?

cat .servers | while read LINE; do ssh jason@$LINE $1 done exit 1 ./command.ksh "ls -l ~jason" Why does this ONLY iterate on the first server in the list? It's not doing the command on all the servers in the list, what am I missing? Thanks! JP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpeery
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash pattern matching echo *[! '/' ] doesn't work

without using ls, just using echo so purely pattern matching I can say echo */ <-- lists directories but how would I match files? surely something like *!/ or * but neither work ? it seems like there isn't much that I can put in but surely i should be able to put any ascii... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: james hanley
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - how do i find out if a file doesn't contain a pattern?

how do i check a file for a pattern and perform an action if it doesn't exist? i know how to search a file for a pattern. you just place it in an array like so. #!/usr/bin/perl my $data_file = "file.txt"; open DATA, "$data_file"; my @array_of_data = <DATA>; if ($_ =~ m/pattern/i) {... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command in shell script doesn't work

Hello all, Something strange going on with a shell script I'm writing. It's trying to write a list of files that it finds in a given directory to another file. But I also have a skip list so matching files that are in that skip list should be, well uhm, skipped :) Here's the code of my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: StijnV
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find -exec with 2 commands doesn't work (error incomplete staement)

Hi Gurues, I need to modify an existing script that uses find to search a folder, and then move its contents to a folder. What I need to do is run gzip on each file after it's moved. So, I ran this little test: Put a ls.tar file on my $HOME, mkdir tmp, and then: virtuo@tnpmprd01: find .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: llagos
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why doesn't this work?

find . -name "05_scripts" -type d -exec mv -f {}/'*.aep\ Logs' {}/.LogFiles \; Returns this failure: mv: rename ./019_0120_WS_WH_gate_insideTEST/05_scripts/*.aep\ Logs to ./019_0120_WS_WH_gate_insideTEST/05_scripts/.LogFiles/*.aep\ Logs: No such file or directory I don't know why it's trying... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex in sed to find specific pattern and assign to variable

(5 Replies)
Discussion started by: radioactive9
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP - Regex for matching string containing pattern but without pattern itself

The sample file: dept1: user1,user2,user3 dept2: user4,user5,user6 dept3: user7,user8,user9 I want to match by '/^dept2.*/' but don't want to have substring 'dept2:' in output. How to compose such regex? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
8 Replies
readmail(1)						      General Commands Manual						       readmail(1)

NAME
readmail - read mail from a mail folder or incoming mailbox SYNOPSIS
folder] [number-list|pattern] DESCRIPTION
The program displays messages from your incoming mailbox or a specified mail folder. Within the mail system (see elm(1) with no operands and optionally the or option, displays the appropriate headers and the body of the cur- rent message. With the number-list operand and no options, displays the corresponding messages and a summary of the headers from your incoming mailbox. With the pattern operand and no options, displays the first message that matches the pattern and a summary of the headers from your incom- ing mailbox. Options supports the following options. Print all messages that match pattern. If no pattern was specified, this option is ignored. Use file folder for the operations instead of the incoming mailbox. Include the entire header of the matched message or messages when displaying their text. The default is to display the and lines only. Exclude all headers. Put form feeds ( between message headers. This is useful when printing sets of messages. Operands supports the following operands. number-list A blank-separated list of the ordinal locations of messages in the mail file (i.e., their "message numbers"), up to 25 at a time. The character means the last message in the mail file. Similarly, represents every message in the file (i.e., The message numbers are sorted into ascending order. Thus, produces the same output as pattern A string that is present in one of the messages. This pattern can be typed in directly (no quotes) if the words are separated by a single space in the actual message. The pattern matching is case sensitive, so and are not equiva- lent. Leading digits (on the first word) are not permitted; however, you can precede them with a space and quote the entire string, if the space occurs in the message, as in . EXAMPLES
If you are using to reply to a message from within the mail system, you can insert the text of the current message with the command: If you define an alias similar to: you can use it with a program such to peruse mail as it arrives, without needing to start a mail system (see newmail(1)). AUTHOR
was developed by HP. FILES
Incoming mailbox Temporary file for SEE ALSO
elm(1), newmail(1), vi(1). readmail(1)