Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking number of commas in each line. Post 302789787 by PikK45 on Thursday 4th of April 2013 08:27:49 AM
Old 04-04-2013
Don't cat a very huge file.

Try like
Code:
awk -F"," -v l=$no_of_expected_fields '{if(NF != l){print "Error at line "NR; exit}}' $TEMPFILE

@guru:
You got me on this one Smilie

---------- Post updated at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruprasadpr
You can replace your whole code with one awk statement:

Code:
awk -F,  'NF!=3{print "Error at line "NF;exit}' $TEMP_FILE

In place of 3, put the count of your no. of expected fields.

Guru.
I guess NF should not be equal to a specified number. You can use
Code:
awk -F"," -v l=$no_of_expected_fields 'NF!=l{ print "Error at line "NR; exit}' TEMP_FILE

if you need a variable to be compared

Last edited by PikK45; 04-04-2013 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: Guru the great! :)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sequence number checking

Hi there, I'm wanting to produce a shell script that will check through some file names and identify a skip in sequence (four digit seq num in file name). I have played on the idea of havng a file that has a sorted list of file names which I can read line at a time and cut out the sequence... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nhatch
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending line number to each line and getting total number of lines

Hello, I need help in appending the line number of each line to the file and also to get the total number of lines. Can somebody please help me. I have a file say: abc def ccc ddd ffff The output should be: Instance1=abc Instance2=def Instance3=ccc Instance4=ddd Instance5=ffff ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a columnfrom a specifit line number to a specific line number

Hi, I have a huge file & I want to add a specific text in column. But I want to add this text from a specific line number to a specific line number & another text in to another range of line numbers. To be more specific: lets say my file has 1000 lines & 4 Columns. I want to add text "Hello"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ezy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get the data from line number 1 to line number 100 of a file

Hi Everybody, I am trying to write a script that will get some perticuler data from a file and redirect to a file. My Question is, I have a Very huge file,In that file I have my required data is started from 25th line and it will ends in 100th line. I know the line numbers, I need to get all... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anji
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting commas and replacing backslashes with commas

Hi, Newbie here. I have a file that consists of data that I want to convert to a csv file. For example: Jul 20 2008 1111 / visit home / BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLOC-1.1 VendorID/105 Jul 21 2008 22222 / add friend / BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kangaroo
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting number of commas(,) in a variable

Hi all, I am having problems counting commas (,) from a variable in shell scripting.. the variable contains similiar to: ID@NAME@DESCRIPTION,ID@NAME@DESCRIPTION, ..... It can go on and on.. So i need to count the number of sets i.e.( ID@NAME@DESCRIPTION is one set) and process the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faelric
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read contents of a file from a given line number upto line number again specified by user

Hello Everyone. I am trying to display contains of a file from a specific line to a specific line(let say, from line number 3 to line number 5). For this I got the shell script as shown below: if ; then if ; then tail +$1 $3 | head -n $2 else ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grc
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking a number

ok im trying to find out how many cars a user enters. Its giving me an error message of "integer expression expected" Basically if i enter any number over 0 (zero) it should continue read -p "How many cars:" carsn test $cars -ge 1 test $? -ne 0 && read -p "Invalid number.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gangsta
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write $line number into textfile and read from line number

Hello everyone, I don't really know anything about scripting, but I have to manage to make this script, out of necessity. #!/bin/bash while read -r line; do #I'm reading from a big wordlist instructions using $line done Is there a way to automatically write the $line number the script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobylapointe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting commas after the second occurrence in a line

Hello everyone, I am manipulating a large CSV file and am trying to read it into a program and started running into trouble. The have manually edited the file trying to make it correctly run through the program and have made progress. However, I am know stuck with an issue involving too many... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tastybrownies
3 Replies
fspec(4)							   File Formats 							  fspec(4)

NAME
fspec - format specification in text files DESCRIPTION
It is sometimes convenient to maintain text files on the system with non-standard tabs, (tabs that are not set at every eighth column). Such files must generally be converted to a standard format, frequently by replacing all tabs with the appropriate number of spaces, before they can be processed by system commands. A format specification occurring in the first line of a text file specifies how tabs are to be expanded in the remainder of the file. A format specification consists of a sequence of parameters separated by blanks and surrounded by the brackets <: and :>. Each parameter consists of a keyletter, possibly followed immediately by a value. The following parameters are recognized: ttabs The t parameter specifies the tab settings for the file. The value of tabs must be one of the following: o A list of column numbers separated by commas, indicating tabs set at the specified columns. o A '-' followed immediately by an integer n, indicating tabs at intervals of n columns. o A '-' followed by the name of a ``canned'' tab specification. Standard tabs are specified by t-8, or equivalently, t1,9,17,25, etc. The canned tabs that are recognized are defined by the tabs(1) command. ssize The s parameter specifies a maximum line size. The value of size must be an integer. Size checking is performed after tabs have been expanded, but before the margin is prepended. mmargin The m parameter specifies a number of spaces to be prepended to each line. The value of margin must be an integer. d The d parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the line containing the format specification is to be deleted from the converted file. e The e parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the current format is to prevail only until another format specifi- cation is encountered in the file. Default values, which are assumed for parameters not supplied, are t-8 and m0. If the s parameter is not specified, no size checking is performed. If the first line of a file does not contain a format specification, the above defaults are assumed for the entire file. The following is an example of a line containing a format specification: * <:t5,10,15 s72:> * If a format specification can be disguised as a comment, it is not necessary to code the d parameter. SEE ALSO
ed(1), newform(1), tabs(1) SunOS 5.11 3 Jul 1990 fspec(4)