Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Arithmetic calculation in variable Post 302789515 by Yoda on Wednesday 3rd of April 2013 08:14:10 PM
Old 04-03-2013
Code:
echo $var1|cut -d " " -f1 | xargs echo "1 +" | bc

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arithmetic problem

i am used to making scripts for hp-ux. but lately i tried to make some for solaris. the problem is that when i tried to execute it it gave me an error the "let: not found". why is that? how can i perform an arithmetic function in the solaris shell script? thanks :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

arithmetic in tcsh

Yes I know tcsh sucks for scripting and arithmetic but I have to write a script for multiple users and they all use tcsh. I have this variable that I 'set' with but pulling numbers off of stings with set STUFF = `grep string file | awk command` Now I would like to add up the numbers that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gobi
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arithmetic: how to??

Hello all, I'd like to know how to perform arithmetic on multiple files. I have got many tab-delimited files. Each file contains about 2000 rows and 2000 columns. What I want to do is to to sum the values in each row & column in every file. The following explains what I want to do; ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Rahiz
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic calculation on real numbers in Bourne Shell Script

I am begining to learn bourne shell and as a practice I have written a script which when given the purchase price and percentage of discount calculates the savings. I somehow cannot figure out why my script fails to do arthimatic calculation on real numbers. Could anyone look at the script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic operation between columns using loop variable

Hi I have a file with 3 columns. say, infile: 1 50 68 34 3 23 23 4 56 ------- ------- I want to generate n files from this file using a loop so that 1st column in output file is (column1 of infile/(2*n+2.561)) I am doing like this: for ((i=1; i<=3; i++)) do a=`echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Surabhi_so_mh
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

arithmetic from csh variable passed to awk

I have the following code in a csh script I want to pass the value of the variable sigmasq to the awk script so that I can divide $0 by the value of sigmasq grep "Rms Value" $f.log \ | awk '{ sub(/*:*\.*/,x); \ print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo multiple variable with calculation

$total=500 echo "scale=2; $val1*100/$total" | bc echo "scale=2; $val2*100*100/$total" | bc echo "scale=2; $val3*100/$total" | bc I want to make the above code to be accomplish in a single echo line. For instance output:21.3, 44.2, 51.6 How to achieve that, some one please help, i just... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvin0618
5 Replies

8. Programming

arithmetic calculation using awk

hi there again, i need to do a simple division with my data with a number of rows. i think i wanted to have a simple output like this one: col1 col2 col3 val1 val2 val1/val2 valn valm valn/valm any suggestion is very much appreciated. thanks much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

BC calculation for floating (invalid arithmetic operator )

Hi, I wish to compare the CPU LOAD 1 min with 5mins and 15mins. If 1 min's CPU LOAd spike 3% compare to 5 mins or 15 mins CPU Load, it is warning. If 1 min's CPU LOAd spike 5% compare to 5 mins or 15 mins CPU Load, it is critical. However I received following code error, I google it and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvintiow
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic operation in variable

Hi, Here is the script i try to perform arithmetic operation in two variables . git branch -r | while read brname ; do REV_COMMITS=`git rev-list --count $brname` echo "$brname has $REV_COMMITS" (( TOTAL = TOTAL + REV_COMMITS )) echo "in loop" $TOTAL done echo "total is " $TOTAL ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
3 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)