Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Double Check my Cron Job
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Double Check my Cron Job Post 302788683 by mrm5102 on Tuesday 2nd of April 2013 10:45:37 AM
Old 04-02-2013
Hey bakunin, thanks for the reply.

Sorry I didn't put my actual path in there I was just throwing something in there as a placeholder more or less...

The script is actually located at "/usr/local/nagios/libexec/...."
Was the "Cron Problem Number One" page just saying don't use relative paths, use absolute? If that's the case then I'm ok there.

Also, my script doesn't have any real STDOUT. The script interacts with the Nagios' NSCA Daemon which works with the
Nagios Host Server, by sending some output in a specific format to the Nagios Server for processing.

What my script does is write its output to a txt file, then while still in the script I execute the "send_nsca" Command which
is what actually sends the contents of the txt file to the Nagios Server...

I put those cron jobs into effect yesterday before I left work and added a line in my script temporarily (which I removed this
morning)
that wrote the Date/Time and which option was used (because there a 5 commands in cron, same script for all,
but each with a different CLI Option)
to a makeshift log file to see if everything was executed at the correct times and what not,
and when I checked this morning the times and CLI Options matched perfectly with what I wanted it to do!

Thanks Again guys for all your tips, the info is much appreciated!

Thanks Again,
Matt

Last edited by mrm5102; 04-02-2013 at 12:01 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron job

Regarding Cron job, i want to execute a scriptevery 4 days once irrespective of a week or a month. Is it possible?Any help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santho
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron job

I believe that crob invokes command under bash. But most of our work are carried out using c shell. So what do I need to be aware of (or what precautions should I be taking) when I use cron. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CRON usage for CRON job

can anybody explain the usage of CRON for adding a cron job. please provide an example also for better understanding !!! Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
1 Replies

4. Solaris

cron job starts new cron proccess

I run cron in solaris 10 zone. One cron job which syncing files to nfs mounted on container, creates after finishing another cron proccess(/usr/sbin/cron), and after 100 existing cron proccesses next cron job will not start. It's too weird for me, I'm not able to solve this problem. Theoretically... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron76
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cron job

Hi, How to monitor whether a cron job is running or errored out..?other than checking the process using ps-aef how to enter the cron job which throws the output in 1 file and errors in other file. i remember it can be done using >1 and >2 ..but not sure.. any expert..please help!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rujus
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron Job help

I need to write the cron job for the following scenario, Please help me out The CRON job runs sometime at night on Saturday and checks if there are more than eight files in the /PROCESSED folder. Any files over and above eight are deleted based on ascending order of date (eight most recent... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep.dwivedi
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

check mail backup cron job

i have just installed a cron job to run at 3 in the morning once a week. It's difficult for me to test if it works because the email backup program takes the email service down before running the backup. I wondered if i could ask you gurus if this would work? 0 3 * * 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: timgolding
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Cron job running even after cron is removed

Hi , I have removed a cron for particular user , but cron job seems to be running even after the cron entry is removed. The purpose of the cron was to sendmail to user ( it uses mailx utility ) I have restarted cron and sendmail service still user is getting mail alerts from the cron job. And... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commented cron job -- cron monitoring

Hi I have a requirement to write a shell script,that will check the all commented job in cron job.Please help !! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job - Need to run Cron every quarter at particular time

Hi, 1) If some job supposed to run on 1st of every month at 7 AM In cron job when we have a blackout on the 1st ( i.e when 1st falls on a sunday ) how can we make the job run the next business day? 2) How can we run a job on 25th of every quarter 7 AM(jan,apr,jul,oct) And if 25th... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies
COLLECTD-NAGIOS(1)						     collectd							COLLECTD-NAGIOS(1)

NAME
collectd-nagios - Nagios plugin for querying collectd SYNOPSIS
collectd-nagios -s socket -n value_spec -H hostname [options] DESCRIPTION
This small program is the glue between collectd and nagios. collectd collects various performance statistics which it provides via the "unixsock plugin", see collectd-unixsock(5). This program is called by Nagios, connects to the UNIX socket and reads the values from collectd. It then returns OKAY, WARNING or CRITICAL depending on the values and the ranges provided by Nagios. ARGUMENTS AND OPTIONS
The following arguments and options are required and understood by collectd-nagios. The order of the arguments generally doesn't matter, as long as no argument is passed more than once. -s socket Path of the UNIX socket opened by collectd's "unixsock plugin". -n value_spec The value to read from collectd. The argument is in the form "plugin[-instance]/type[-instance]". -H hostname Hostname to query the values for. -d data_source Each value_spec may be made of multiple "data sources". With this option you can select one or more data sources. To select multiple data sources simply specify this option again. If multiple data sources are examined they are handled according to the consolidation function given with the -g option. -g none|average|sum When multiple data sources are selected from a value spec, they can be handled differently depending on this option. The values of the following meaning: none No consolidation if done and the warning and critical regions are applied to each value independently. average The warning and critical ranges are applied to the average of all values. sum The warning and critical ranges are applied to the sum of all values. percentage The warning and critical ranges are applied to the ratio (in percent) of the first value and the sum of all values. A warning is returned if the first value is not defined or if all values sum up to zero. -c range -w range Set the critical (-c) and warning (-w) ranges. These options mostly follow the normal syntax of Nagios plugins. The general format is "min:max". If a value is smaller than min or bigger than max, a warning or critical status is returned, otherwise the status is success. The tilde sign (~) can be used to explicitly specify infinity. If ~ is used as a min value, negative infinity is used. In case of max, it is interpreted as positive infinity. If the first character of the range is the at sign (@), the meaning of the range will be inverted. I. e. all values within the range will yield a warning or critical status, while all values outside the range will result in a success status. min (and the colon) may be omitted, min is then assumed to be zero. If max (but not the trailing colon) is omitted, max is assumed to be positive infinity. -m If this option is given, "Not a Number" (NaN) is treated as critical. By default, the none consolidation reports NaNs as warning. Other consolidations simply ignore NaN values. RETURN VALUE
As usual for Nagios plugins, this program writes a short, one line status message to STDOUT and signals success or failure with it's return value. It exits with a return value of 0 for success, 1 for warning and 2 for critical. If the values are not available or some other error occurred, it returns 3 for unknown. SEE ALSO
collectd(1), collectd.conf(5), collectd-unixsock(5), <http://nagios.org/> AUTHOR
Florian Forster <octo at verplant.org> 5.1.0 2012-04-02 COLLECTD-NAGIOS(1)