Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Create a program illustrating SUID Post 302787879 by MadeInGermany on Sunday 31st of March 2013 09:41:28 AM
Old 03-31-2013
Linux ignores SUID bit in scripts at all. You need a SUID binary program as a helper, e.g. sudo.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Using a C program to create directories in UNIX

Aloha, I'm attempting to use a C program to create directories and then use a system call to have another program write .dat files into that directory. I understand that I could use the "system("mkdir directory_name")" function however, I would like my program to create a new directory each time... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aloha_boi
3 Replies

2. Programming

How to create a new unix user in through a c program

Hi , I want to create a new user using c program not with unix adduser command . is it possible to write a cprogram to create a new user account , it should accept username , grouid , group name and all other privilages . i can use system calls inside c program to do this . i will... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naren_chella
5 Replies

3. Programming

Create a lib from a c program

I have a function in a c program that I want to to share with other programs. How do I create a lib using the cc compiler ? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: npires
9 Replies

4. Programming

create sound using C program

I could not recall the function in C to generate diff type of sounds. Can somebody help me out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Program to create a RPM name

Hi Guru,s/Geek,s I need help to create RPM names from rpms. Example : a2ps-4.14-6.fc10.i386 perl-Email-Find-0.10-2.fc10.noarch directfb-1.2.7-2.fc10.i386 libid3tag-0.15.1b-7.fc10.i386 apr-util-1.3.7-1.fc10.i386 libquicktime-1.0.3-4.fc10.i386 The Desired Output is : a2ps... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.linux1984
2 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

create a program that runs two processes linked oven

I need help program in C... :create a program that runs two processes linked oven (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gizmo16
1 Replies

7. AIX

How to create core through program at the time of crash by handling signals?

I am in process of writing a library which can make any application of my product capable of creating core in the application's log folder with a product friendly core file name programatically. In my library I am registering for certain signals e.g. SIGILL, SIGFPE, SIGBUS, SIGSEGV, SIGSYS, SIGABRT... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajeev_ks
1 Replies

8. Solaris

How to create core through program at the time of crash by handling signals?

I am in process of writing a library which can make any application of my product capable of creating core in the application's log folder with a product friendly core file name programatically. In my library I am registering for certain signals e.g. SIGILL, SIGFPE, SIGBUS, SIGSEGV, SIGSYS, SIGABRT... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeev_ks
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between inbuilt suid programs and user defined root suid programs under bash shell?

Hey guys, Suppose i run passwd via bash shell. It is a suid program, which temporarily runs as root(owner) and modifies the user entries. However, when i write a C file and give 4755 permission and root ownership to the 'a.out' file , it doesn't run as root in bash shell. I verified this by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can you gain root privileges if the suid program does not belong to root?

I had a question in my test which asked where suppose user B has a program with 's' bit set. Can user A run this program and gain root privileges in any way? I suppose not as the suid program run with privileges of owner and this program will run with B's privileges and not root. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies
0STORE-SECURE-ADD(1)													      0STORE-SECURE-ADD(1)

NAME
0store-secure-add -- add an implementation to the system cache SYNOPSIS
0store-secure-add DIGEST DESCRIPTION
This command imports the current directory into the system-wide shared Zero Install cache, as /var/cache/0install.net/implementa- tions/DIGEST. This allows a program downloaded by one user to be shared with other users. The current directory must contain a file called '.manifest' listing all the files to be added (in the format required by DIGEST), and this file must have the given digest. If not, the import is refused. Therefore, it is only possible to add a directory to the cache if its name matches its contents. It is intended that it be safe to grant untrusted users permission to call this command with elevated privileges. To set this up, see below. SETTING UP SHARING
To enable sharing, the system administrator should follow these steps: Create a new system user to own the cache: adduser --system zeroinst Create the shared directory, owned by this new user: mkdir /var/cache/0install.net chown zeroinst /var/cache/0install.net Use visudo(8) to add these lines to /etc/sudoers: Defaults>zeroinst env_reset,always_set_home ALL ALL=(zeroinst) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/0store-secure-add Create a script called 0store-secure-add-helper in PATH to call it. This script must be executable and contain these two lines: #!/bin/sh exec sudo -S -u zeroinst /usr/bin/0store-secure-add "$@" < /dev/null The other Zero Install programs will call this helper script automatically. FILES
/var/cache/0install.net/implementations System-wide Zero Install cache. LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2009 Thomas Leonard. You may redistribute copies of this program under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License. BUGS
This program is EXPERIMENTAL. It has not been audited. Do not use it yet in security-critial environments. The env_reset line in sudoers may not be required. sudo(1) seems to do it automatically. If sudo let us check whether we could call a command then we could switch to using it automatically, instead of needing to add the helper script. Currently, sudo delays for one second and writes to auth.log if we try to use this system when it hasn't been set up. Please report bugs to the developer mailing list: http://0install.net/support.html AUTHOR
Zero Install was created by Thomas Leonard. SEE ALSO
0store(1) The Zero Install web-site: http://0install.net Thomas Leonard 2010 0STORE-SECURE-ADD(1)