Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Number of files with *.something Post 302787195 by elixir_sinari on Thursday 28th of March 2013 11:42:29 PM
Old 03-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikK45
why do that?

use ls -ltr *.sas | wc -l
As an aside, the flags to ls serve no purpose here. And, a newline is a valid filename character. So, if any filename has one and since wc -l counts newlines, one might get wrong results.

Alister's solution (as always) is the most elegant:
Code:
find . -name '*.sas' -printf '\n'|wc -l

Last edited by elixir_sinari; 03-29-2013 at 01:10 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

total number of files which have "aaa" in files whose names are File*_bbb*

I am getting the list of all the files which have "aaa" from files whose name is File*_bbb*. grep -l "aaa" File*_bbb* But I want to count the number of files. That is I want the total number of files which have "aaa" in files File*_bbb* If I run the following for getting number of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudheshnaiyer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

split files into specified number of output files

Hi everyone, I have some large text files that I need to split into a specific number of files of equal size. As far as I know (and I don't really know that much :)) the split command only lets you specify the number of lines or bytes. The files are all of a different size, so the number of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Migrainegirl
4 Replies

3. AIX

Number of files

Hi, we have one monut point /u01/abc/ under this moumt point we have files generated from august 2008 now i need to send a report that everry months how many files are generated and there used space like august month 100 files got created and they occupy 3 Gb of space .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohitmathur11
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Number of files

Hi, we have one monut point /u01/abc/ under this moumt point we have files generated from august 2008 now i need to send a report that everry months how many files are generated and there used space like august month 100 files got created and they occupy 3 Gb of space . september... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohitmathur11
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to reduce multiple files into a specific number of files

Can anyone please let me know how do I reduce files into a specific number of files by cat'ing files? For example: 15 files must be reduced to 1 or 5 or 9 (possible values 1 to 14) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aryanbelank
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of files in directory excluding existing files

Hi, Please let me know how to find out number of files in a directory excluding existing files..The existing file format will be unknown..each time.. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files only when a certain number of files match

Hi, I have many files named CCR20110720011001.CTRD CCR20110720011501.CTRD CCR20110720012001.CTRD CCR20110720012501.CTRD CCR20110720021001.CTRD ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadyfright
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of files in directory and write to new file with number of files and their name?

Hi! I just want to count number of files in a directory, and write to new text file, with number of files and their name output should look like this,, assume that below one is a new file created by script Number of files in directory = 25 1. a.txt 2. abc.txt 3. asd.dat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
20 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with number to select based on number

Hi experts, I am using KSH and I am need to display file with number in front of file names and user can select it by entering the number. I am trying to use following command to display list with numbers. but I do not know how to capture number and identify what file it is to be used for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mysocks
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print number of lines for files in directory, also print number of unique lines

I have a directory of files, I can show the number of lines in each file and order them from lowest to highest with: wc -l *|sort 15263 Image.txt 16401 reference.txt 40459 richtexteditor.txt How can I also print the number of unique lines in each file? 15263 1401 Image.txt 16401... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
15 Replies
DOVEADM-LOG(1)							      Dovecot							    DOVEADM-LOG(1)

NAME
doveadm-log - Locate, test or reopen Dovecot's log files SYNOPSIS
doveadm [-Dv] log errors [-s min_timestamp] doveadm [-Dv] log find [directory] doveadm [-Dv] log reopen doveadm [-Dv] log test DESCRIPTION
The doveadm log commands are used to locate and reopen the log files of dovecot(1). It's also possible to test the configured targets of the *log_path settings. OPTIONS
Global doveadm(1) options: -D Enables verbosity and debug messages. -v Enables verbosity, including progress counter. COMMANDS
log errors doveadm log errors [-s min_timestamp] The log errors command is used to show the last - up to 1,000 - errors and warnings. If no output is generated, no errors have occurred since the last start. -s min_timestamp An integer value, representing seconds since the epoch - also known as Unix timestamp. When a min_timestamp was given, doveadm(1) will only show errors occurred since that point in time. log find doveadm log find [directory] The log find command is used to show the location of the log files, to which dovecot(1) sends its log messages. If dovecot(1) logs its messages through syslogd(8) and doveadm(1) could not find any log files, you can specify the directory where your syslogd writes its log files. log reopen doveadm log reopen This command causes doveadm to reopen all log files, configured in the log_path, info_log_path and debug_log_path settings. These settings are configured in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-logging.conf. This is for example useful after manually rotating the log files. log test doveadm log test This command causes doveadm to write the message "This is Dovecot's priority log (timestamp)" to the configured log files. The used prior- ities are: debug, info, warning, error and fatal. EXAMPLE
This example shows how to locate the log files used by dovecot(1). doveadm log find Looking for log files from /var/log Debug: /var/log/dovecot.debug Info: /var/log/mail.log Warning: /var/log/mail.log Error: /var/log/mail.log Fatal: /var/log/mail.log REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs, including doveconf -n output, to the Dovecot Mailing List <dovecot@dovecot.org>. Information about reporting bugs is avail- able at: http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html SEE ALSO
doveadm(1) Dovecot v2.2 2013-11-24 DOVEADM-LOG(1)