Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need a REGEX to increment the file number of a pdf file Post 302787163 by Don Cragun on Thursday 28th of March 2013 06:41:10 PM
Old 03-28-2013
The following script seems to do what you want, but no regular expressions are involved:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
low=286
low_found=0
ls [0-9][0-9][0-9]_*.pdf|sort -r|while [ $low_found -eq 0 ] && IFS="" read -r fn
do      n=${fn%%_*}
        if [ $n -eq $low ]
        then    low_found=1
        fi
        if [ $n -lt $low ]
        then    break
        fi
        echo mv "$fn" $((n + 1))"${fn#???}"
done

I use (and tested this using) the Korn shell but this will work with any shell that recognizes the parameter expansions required by the POSIX standards. As written it will just list the mv commands that need to be run to do what you requested. If it does what you want remove the echo that appears before the mv command and it rerun it to actually rename the files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting .ps file to .pdf file from where it is broken

In my folder Testing I have 5 files. 1.ps 2.ps 3.ps 4.ps 5.ps Now When I am converting this .ps file to .pdf file then it is broken at the 2.ps file. And I created one status.txt file where this broken file 2.ps is stored. Now How shell I start to convert .ps file to .pdf file from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunitachoudhury
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get number of pages in a PDF file

Hello, Can anyone please help me providing script to get the number of pages in a PDF file? TIA Prvn (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text file + image/form/overlay file to PDF

Hi, We have an app specific legacy environment running SCO Openserver 5.0.7. I need to be able to (1) scan a pre-existing “form” consisting of logo/boxes/lines/static text as an image , (2) lay a print file from the app "on top of the image" and (3) output the "merge" as a PDF file. Scanning... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 65bit
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Convert csv file into pdf file from putty

Hi, My requirement is that i have to convenrt a csv file inyo a pdf file . So is there any command which will do that ??? thanks Sambuddha (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sambuddha
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read regex from ID file, print regex and line below from source file

I have a file of protein sequences with headers (my source file). Based on a list of IDs (which are included in some of the headers), I'd like to print out only the specified sequences, with only the ID as header. In other words, I'd like to search source.txt for the terms in IDs.txt, and print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to increment number in data file

Hello, I have an Excel spreadsheet with the following data: Refntns3_1 char 30 Ref H77 nt codon 1 Reference H77 Nucleotide Codon 1 -- Codns3_1 char 30 Obs Nucleotides codon 1 Observed Nucleotides Codon 1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deneuve01
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment value in text file

Hi Guys, I am new to shell programing, I have a csv file which has 50k records and I have got the requirement to increment the value in second column after each 5000 records. for example below A,B,C,D //Header 1,1,London,UK 1,1,Manchester,UK 1,1,Glasgow,UK . . . 1,1,Newyork,USA... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rizzu1555
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Dynamically Extract file content based on Parameters from a pdf file

Hi Guru's, I am new to shell scripting. I have a unique requirement: The system generates a single pdf(/tmp/ABC.pdf) file with Invoices for Multiple Customers, the format is something like this: Page1 >> Customer 1 >>Invoice1 + invoice 2 >> Page1 end Page2 >> Customer 2 >>Invoice 3 + Invoice 4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DIps
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert excel file to PDF file using shell script

Hi All, Is it possible to convert the excel file to PDF file(Without loosing any format) using unix shell scripting ??? If yes Kindly help me on the code Thanks in advance!!! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balasankar
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a text file and a pdf file from Linux command results.

Hello. The task : Using multiple commands like : gdisk -l $SOME_DISK >> $SOME_FILEI generate some text file. For readiness I must insert page break. When the program is finished I want to convert the final text file to a pdf file. When finished, I got two files : One text file and One pdf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
SHCOMP(1)						    User Environment Utilities							 SHCOMP(1)

NAME
shcomp - compile a ksh93 shell script SYNOPSIS
shcomp [ options ] [infile] [outfile]] ORIGIN OF THIS MAN PAGE
This man page was written by Christophe Martin <Schplurtz@free.fr> for the Debian GNU/Linux system. It is based on "shcomp --man" output. DESCRIPTION
Unless -D is specified, shcomp takes a shell script, infile, and creates a binary format file, outfile, that ksh93 can read and execute with the same effect as the original script. Since aliases are processed as the script is read, alias definitions whose value requires variable expansion will not work correctly. If -D is specified, all double quoted strings that are preceded by $ are output. These are the messages that need to be translated to locale specific versions for internationalization. If outfile is omitted, then the results will be written to standard output. If infile is also omitted, the shell script will be read from standard input. OPTIONS
-D, --dictionary Generate a list of strings that need to be placed in a message catalog for internationalization. -n, --noexec Displays warning messages for obsolete or non-conforming constructs. -v, --verbose Displays input from infile onto standard error as it reads it. --man Displays this man page on standard error and exits. --help Shows a short help message and exits. EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. DEBIAN WARNING
On a Debian GNU/Linux system, more than one package may provide ksh. the output of shcomp can only be used by ksh93. Any other ksh will be unable to run the compiled script. EXAMPLE
( echo '#! /bin/ksh93' ; shcomp myscript ) > myscript.bin && chmod 755 myscript.bin ./myscript.bin SEE ALSO
ksh(1) IMPLEMENTATION
version shcomp (AT&T Labs Research) 2003-03-02 author David Korn <dgk@research.att.com> copyright Copyright (c) 1982-2005 AT&T Corp. license http://www.opensource.org/licenses/cpl1.0.txt KSH93 Fri Jun 3 2005 SHCOMP(1)