Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Play sound
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Play sound Post 302787135 by wisecracker on Thursday 28th of March 2013 05:15:11 PM
Old 03-28-2013
Hi tukuyomi...

IIRC aplay is part of ALSA...
Never make assumptions unless stating them.
Macbook Pro, 13 inch, OSX 10.7.5...
Code:
Last login: Thu Mar 28 21:02:56 on ttys000
Barrys-MacBook-Pro:~ barrywalker$ aplay
-bash: aplay: command not found
Barrys-MacBook-Pro:~ barrywalker$

Alternatively...
Code:
Last login: Thu Mar 28 21:04:40 on ttys000
Barrys-MacBook-Pro:~ barrywalker$ afplay
Usage:
afplay [option...] audio_file

Options: (may appear before or after arguments)
  {-v | --volume} VOLUME
    set the volume for playback of the file
  {-h | --help}
    print help
  { --leaks}
    run leaks analysis
  {-t | --time} TIME
    play for TIME seconds
  {-r | --rate} RATE
    play at playback rate
  {-q | --rQuality} QUALITY
    set the quality used for rate-scaled playback (default is 0 - low quality, 1 - high quality)
  {-d | --debug}
    debug print output
Barrys-MacBook-Pro:~ barrywalker$

<WINK>

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

play cd? how?

hi all, How do I set up my cdrom to play some regular audio cd (not cd-r or cd-rw). I know that my cdrom has been mounted as it does pop up the file manager if I put in, e.g., the office52 cd. Thanks in advance. Andre (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrec
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need something new to play with

I posted this question in the dummies forums, but I would like to get a more expert opinion... I am looking for a new OS to play with. I have a celron 450 running slackware linux, a powermac G4 450 running Mac OS X (Which by the way has 81 days of uptime as of this moment), a PowerBook G3 running... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dewhite04
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Can I Play A Cd On Unix

HI I AM A FRESH NEW USER ...I MEAN I JUST GOT A COMPUTER ALMOST FOR FREE AND IT RUNS UNIX WHICH I DIDN'T EXPECT AND DONT KNOW HOW TO WORK ON IT I THOUGHT IT'LL BE WITH WINDOWS ..YOU KNOW SO HOW DO I PLAY A CD IN IT. REMEMBER I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT UNIX , BUT I THINK I'LL GET OVER IT... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IMOTEB
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

play

dear friends, i have linux system . can i play songs in linux system. like winamp player in windows. let me know. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
2 Replies

5. Linux

how can i play the gam

can some1 tell me how to start playing? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 123456
2 Replies

6. Linux

Can not play sound in Linux RHEL5.

Hi All, Recently I installed Linux RHEL5 on my machine. It seems that I can not play sound on RHEL5. I have real player installed along with RHEL5 but, when I try to play any song, the error message comes up saying "Can not open the audio device.Another application may be using it." Does any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gydave
2 Replies

7. Slackware

Can't play sound files with aplay or cat to /dev/dsp

I am having problems using soundes. Until a few moments ago the following commands produced errors and no sound: cat /usr/share/apps/kolf/sounds/blackhole.wav/ > /dev/dsp yielded: /dev/dsp: Invalid argument cat /usr/share/apps/kolf/sounds/blackhole.wav > /dev/audio yelded: /dev/audio:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slak0
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a play-list

approximately the same question as the last time, but unfortunately I didn't get a working answer. I made a script with bash and gtkdialog that create a play-list. The output is for example : gtk-media-pause | CB60471-05 - Gilbert, Brantley - Country Must Be Country Wide.zip | 28897 |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkfloris
3 Replies
ASMC(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   ASMC(4)

NAME
asmc -- device driver for the Apple System Management Console (SMC) SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: device asmc Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): asmc_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The asmc driver controls the Apple System Management Console (SMC for short) found on Intel Apple systems. The SMC is known to be found on the following systems: o MacBook o MacBook Pro o Intel MacMini o Mac Pro o MacBook Air o Intel iMac With this driver, you can configure your keyboard backlight brightness, check temperatures of several sensors, check the speed of the inter- nal fans and check the status of the Sudden Motion Sensor. Variables related to the SMC control and inspection are exported via sysctl(3) under the device tree dev.asmc. KEYBOARD BACKLIGHT
On MacBook Pro systems, you can control the keyboard brightness by writing a value to the dev.asmc.%d.light.control sysctl MIB. The following sysctl MIBs contains the raw value returned by the left and right light sensors: dev.asmc.%d.light.left or dev.asmc.%d.light.right. TEMPERATURES
The number of temperature sensors and their description varies among systems. You can inspect the temperature sensors on your system by traversing the dev.asmc.temp sysctl MIB. All values are in degrees celsius. SYSTEM FANS
The dev.asmc.fan.%d sysctl tree contains the leaf nodes speed, safespeed, minspeed, maxspeed and targetspeed. Each of these leaf nodes rep- resent the current fan speed, the safest minimum fan speed, the minimum speed and the maximum speed respectively. All values are in RPM. SUDDEN MOTION SENSOR
The Sudden Motion Sensor (SMS for short) is a device that detects laptop movement and notifies the operating system via an interrupt. The sysctl MIBs present under dev.asmc.sms all relate to the SMS. The most interesting usage of this device is to park the disk heads when the laptop is moved harshly. First, you need to install ataidle(8) (ports/sysutils/ataidle) and then configure devd(8) the following way: notify 0 { match "system" "ACPI"; match "subsystem" "asmc"; action "/usr/local/sbin/ataidle -s X Y"; }; Do not forget to change the X and Y values in the command above. Also, please note that parking the disk heads too many times can dramatically reduce your hard drive's life span. Do not rely solely on the SMS to protect your hard drive: good care and common sense can increase your hard drive's life. SEE ALSO
ataidle(8) (ports/sysutils/ataidle), devd(8), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The asmc driver first appeared in FreeBSD 8.0. AUTHORS
Rui Paulo <rpaulo@FreeBSD.org> (Google Summer of Code project) BUGS
Support for the latest models was never tested and is most likely not fully working. BSD
July 27, 2009 BSD