Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Error in eval eval command to print html tags Post 302787061 by Corona688 on Thursday 28th of March 2013 03:43:10 PM
Old 03-28-2013
You've just repeated the method you want, not the actual goal.

To template a bunch of text in shell, I'd put them in a here-document like this:

Code:
cat <<EOF
<th>Zone $zoneCounter </th><th align="left"> $optUsage$zoneCounter </th>
EOF

Much less escaping and doublethink.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Access to database/eval command

Hi i have the following code: if(($line!=1) and (@field!='\$')){ print ( "\nTRY TO CONNECT TO DATABASE................\n"); my $dbh = DBI->connect($dsn, $user, $pass); print ("CONNECTED TO DATABASE\n"); eval ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assignment to variable from eval command

Hi Gurus, I am having 2 parameters as below parm1=value1 parm2=parm1 I want to evaluate parm1 value using eval echo \$$parm2 and later i want to assign this value to other variable which i will be using in if statement like : if ]; then do this....... fi could you please suggest... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_vikash
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Eval command help

I have file called myfile which has the text "myserver" in it. I need to have a command to ping "myserver". How would I do that? I tried when I type at the terminal I get the output as . How do I do something like a ? thanks, Nick (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhilfake
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange result of eval, how does eval really work with ssh?

Hi all, some small script with eval turned me to crazy. my OS is linux Linux s10-1310 2.6.16.53-0.8.PTF.434477.3.TDC.0-smp #1 SMP Fri Aug 31 06:07:27 PDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux below script works well #!/bin/bash eval ssh remotehost date eval ssh remotehost ls below... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: summer_cherry
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with perl eval command .....

Hi All, I read the above written code (perl code) in another perl script and evaluates this code for each line of text file,but using exit statement in code make this not to work and i could not get the desired results. However if i use return it works fine. I just need to know why it doesn't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
1 Replies

6. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Error in eval man page

Hello, I believe that the following man page contains an error: <www dot unix dot com>/man-page/posix/1posix/eval/ In section "EXAMPLES", the fourth line should probably be: eval y='$'$x rather than: $fooeval y='$'$x Regards, Jérôme DUBOIS. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Unregistered
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in eval eval command to print html tags

anyone has any info on why this is complaining??? vivek@vivek-c5e55ef2e ~/TAC $ zoneCounter=1 vivek@vivek-c5e55ef2e ~/TAC $ optUsage1=23% vivek@vivek-c5e55ef2e ~/TAC $ eval eval echo "<th>Zone $zoneCounter </th><th align=\"left\"> \$optUsage$zoneCounter </th>" -bash: syntax error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of '-' in eval command.

Hi, I am trying to use eval command to evaluate a variable(HAPROXY_LISTENER_rabbitmq_project-test-BRHM_PORT) which consists of '-' but unfortunately the eval command is unable to interpret the value of variable and trims the variable name after '-' and produces the string output rather than the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kuldip
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Eval command with space, quote and bracket characters

Hi, I am Pradnya Gandhe trying to use in shell script. I want to use a bit complicated command using eval command in a shell script. <path to>\wsadmin.sh -lang jython -conntype NONE -c "AdminApp.install('war file path', '] -MapWebModToVH ] -MapRolesToUsers ] ]')" Works correctly as expected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradnya Gandhe
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

[BASH] eval command not expanding variables as expected.

Hi Guys, I wrote a collection of bash functions years ago and now need to use them again but I'm getting some error messages when eval tries to expand the variables names. I recollect that I used the shopt command to set one of the options but I can't quite remember the command that I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
8 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)