Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with sort word followed by exponential number and numeric number at the same time Post 302786335 by cpp_beginner on Wednesday 27th of March 2013 08:57:52 AM
Old 03-27-2013
Thanks RudiC.
It worked based on the input file.
Do you mind to explain what is the meaning of "sort -k1.4n" ?
I can't really understand it.

Thanks first Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to numeric sort on field time

i want to sort time field given by who command as a whole i have tried like this who|sort -n +4 -5 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulspatil_111
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion of Exponential to numeric in awk- not correct output

Hi All, I have 1 million records file. Using awk, I am counting the number of records. But as the number is huge, after crossing a number, awk is displaying it in exponential format. At the end, I need to verify this count given by awk with expected count. But as it is in exponential format,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssunda6
3 Replies

3. Linux

How to sort the number of occurrences

file:///C:/Users/TSHEPI%7E1.LEB/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngATM@ubuntu:~$ cat numbers2 | sort -n | uniq -c 1 7 1 11 2 10 3 the 1st numbers are the counts from the command "uniq -c", which represent the number of occurrences of each in the file. The "sort -n"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lebogot
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

query display number lines or records present in file only numeric value -without filename

Hi all Thanks in advance........... Please help me for this issue............ I have a file it has 11 records . I used the command like .... >$ wc -l file 11 file I'm getting output like 11 file (no.of records along with filename) here my requirement is, I want to display only... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksrivani
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I sort by n number is like words?

I want to sort a file with a list of words, in order of most occuring words to least occurring words as well as alphabetically. ex: file1: cat 3 cat 7 cat 1 dog 3 dog 5 dog 9 dog 1 ape 4 ape 2 I want the outcome to be: file1.sorted: dog 1 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: castrojc
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort the files according to the number?

Hi Everyone, I have a question: I have a lot of file named like or10000.dat, or9100.dat, or100.dat, or3100.dat... I want to deal with these files according to the number in the name. So I want to deal with or100.dat first and then or3100.dat and so on. I used : for i in `ls or*.dat |... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxuyec
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sort word and general numeric sort at the same time

Input file: 100%ABC2 3.44E-12 USA A2M%H02579 0E0 UK 100%ABC2 5.34E-8 UK 100%ABC2 3.25E-12 USA A2M%H02579 5E-45 UK Output file: 100%ABC2 3.44E-12 USA 100%ABC2 3.25E-12 USA 100%ABC2 5.34E-8 UK A2M%H02579 0E0 UK A2M%H02579 5E-45 UK Code try: sort -k1,1 -g -k2 -r input.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print only word not number

Hi, Need to extract only words not numbers #cat test.txt 123456 oracle web 56789 s21adm Required output #grep <options> test.txt oracle web s21adm Note, in between integer "s21adm" is required but not with full integer "123456" and "56789" (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgnathan
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort by alpha then by number

I have a file like the following: /vol/release /vol/listing /vol/trees7 /vol/toperforce /vol/trees10 /vol/trees2 /vol/wtrain I have tried the following: cat file | sort -t/ -dfk3.1 -t/ -k3.6n That did not work. What I want to do is have the file sorted so that the first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a word and increment the number in the word & save into new files

Hi All, I am looking for a perl/awk/sed command to auto-increment the numbers line in file, P1.tcl: run_build_model sparc_ifu_dec run_drc set_faults -model path_delay -atpg_effectiveness -fault_coverage add_delay_paths P1 set_atpg -abort_limit 1000 run_atpg -ndetects 1000 I would like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jypark22
6 Replies
SORT(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   SORT(1)

NAME
sort - sort a file of ASCII lines SYNOPSIS
sort [-bcdfimnru] [-tc] [-o name] [+pos1] [-pos2] file ... OPTIONS
-b Skip leading blanks when making comparisons -c Check to see if a file is sorted -d Dictionary order: ignore punctuation -f Fold upper case onto lower case -i Ignore nonASCII characters -m Merge presorted files -n Numeric sort order -o Next argument is output file -r Reverse the sort order -t Following character is field separator -u Unique mode (delete duplicate lines) EXAMPLES
sort -nr file # Sort keys numerically, reversed sort +2 -4 file # Sort using fields 2 and 3 as key sort +2 -t: -o out # Field separator is : sort +.3 -.6 # Characters 3 through 5 form the key DESCRIPTION
Sort sorts one or more files. If no files are specified, stdin is sorted. Output is written on standard output, unless -o is specified. The options +pos1 -pos2 use only fields pos1 up to but not including pos2 as the sort key, where a field is a string of characters delim- ited by spaces and tabs, unless a different field delimiter is specified with -t. Both pos1 and pos2 have the form m.n where m tells the number of fields and n tells the number of characters. Either m or n may be omitted. SEE ALSO
comm(1), grep(1), uniq(1). SORT(1)