Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting variable from a query Post 302784177 by gary_w on Thursday 21st of March 2013 04:18:46 PM
Old 03-21-2013
Stating what database and shell you are using would help, but since that info is not here...

Here's a couple of ways. First, try putting put a TRIM( ) function call (or your system's equivalent) around
Code:
stp_ctr_fetch_module_tbl_id('ATTRIB', 'GET')

Or in the script try one of these:

Code:
$ cat x
a="  1234"
print "Before: [$a]"
typeset -i a   # make it an integer.
print "After: [$a]"

b="  1234"
print "Before: [$b]"
b=$(print $b)
print "After: [$b]"

$ ./x
Before: [  1234]
After: [1234]
Before: [  1234]
After: [1234]
$

Last edited by gary_w; 03-21-2013 at 05:23 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to gary_w For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sql query variable not exactly unix

I know htis isnt exactly unix.... but hopefully someone can help me or direct me someplace to get help. I can run sql queries in scripts against my informix db using: dbaccess mydb myquery.sql >> sql.output I need to write my script to select based on todays date. Its very... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing database query in a variable

I am executing a SQL query in Unix Server: select status,location from user_information where request_id='DS-43720' In shell script I am writing this query in the below manner: echo "select status,location from user_information where request_id='DS-43720' ;" >> $directory/info.sql ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: debu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script variable within a sql query

I created a script to read a csv file with four columns. The script also saved values of each col in a arry. In the script, i connected to db try to run a query to pull out data baisc on the values from the csv file. select Num from tableName where Sec_Num in ('${isin}') /*isin is an arry... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sherry_Run
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Query o/p to variable

Hi, I wanted to o/p the number of rows in a table to a variable in linux. How can i achieve this. I wrote the query and its settings like feedback, pagesize line size in a file and using this file as a parameter to the sqlplus command. now can i redirect the o/p of that query to a variable.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Swapna173
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

add the output of a query to a variable to be used in another query

I would like to use the result of a query in another query. How do I redirect/add the output to another variable? $result = odbc_exec($connect, $query); while ($row = odbc_fetch_array($result)) { echo $row,"\n"; } odbc_close($connect); ?> This will output hostnames: host1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hazno
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to - redirect query results to a variable

How can I send the results of a query to a unix variable. I basically want to run a query then do some logic on the results. Trying to redirect the result into a variable I define in the script. select count(*) as counter from table - nut to redirect the "count" returned from the query... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rstone
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use a variable in insert query?

My script contains as follows, VALUE=`sqlplus un/pwd <<EOF > OB.txt set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off select max(1) from table1; exit; EOF` insert into table2 values(1, 'The max value is $value',...); i need the value of VALUE to be inserted after 'The max... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: savithavijay
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formating of query variable in perl

Hi , I am facing error in perl when I assign a below query in a varibale $query because of new line charchters $query= SELECT XYZ , ABC , c2 , c3 , c4 FROM t1 how can i get rid of new line charchters with out changing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvk25
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query on fetching a value of variable in script

I have below 3 files in a directory : oktest.txt okcode.txt okfun.txt I was writing a small shell script to just print the names of three files where I took a variable a and assigned it a value ok. a=ok echo "Three files are : $atest.txt $acode.txt $afun.txt" But when I run... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpltyansh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass variable to a query?

Hi All, How to pass date variable to a query? I have tried the below one , but it's not working. ost.ksh #!/bin/ksh v_date=$1 var=$(sqlplus -s $ORACON <<ENDOFSQL SELECT TO_DATE('$v_date','DD-MON-YYYY'),-1) FROM DUAL; exit; ENDOFSQL ) #End I have executed as below. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
7 Replies
INGRES_UNBUFFERED_QUERY(3)						 1						INGRES_UNBUFFERED_QUERY(3)

ingres_unbuffered_query - Send an unbuffered SQL query to Ingres

SYNOPSIS
mixed ingres_unbuffered_query (resource $link, string $query, [array $params], [string $types]) DESCRIPTION
ingres_unbuffered_query(3) sends the given $query to the Ingres server. The query becomes part of the currently open transaction. If there is no open transaction, ingres_unbuffered_query(3) opens a new transac- tion. To close the transaction, you can call either ingres_commit(3) to commit the changes made to the database or ingres_rollback(3) to cancel these changes. When the script ends, any open transaction is rolled back (by calling ingres_rollback(3)). You can also use ingres_autocommit(3) before opening a new transaction to have every SQL query immediately committed. Ingres allows only a single unbuffered statement to be active at any one time. The extension will close any active unbuffered statements before executing any SQL. In addition you cannot use ingres_result_seek(3) to position the row before fetching. Note Related Configurations See also the ingres.describe and ingres.utf8 directives in Runtime Configuration. PARAMETERS
o $link - The connection link identifier o $query - A valid SQL query (see the Ingres SQL reference guide) in the Ingres documentation. See the query parameter in ingres_query(3) for a list of SQL statements that cannot be executed via ingres_unbuffered_query(3). Data inside the query should be properly escaped. o $params - An array of parameter values to be used with the query o $types - A string containing a sequence of types for the parameter values passed. See the types parameter in ingres_query(3) for the list of type codes. RETURN VALUES
ingres_unbuffered_query(3) returns a query result identifier when there are rows to fetch; else it returns FALSE when there are no rows, as is the case of an INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE statement. To see if an error occurred, use ingres_errno(3), ingres_error(3), or ingres_errsql- state(3). EXAMPLES
Example #1 Issue a simple un-buffered select <?php $link = ingres_connect("demodb"); $result = ingres_unbuffered_query($link, "select * from user_profile"); while ($row = ingres_fetch_row($result)) { echo $row[1]; echo $row[2]; } ?> Example #2 Passing query parameters to ingres_unbuffered_query(3) <?php $link = ingres_connect("demodb"); $params[] = "Emma"; $query = "select * from user_profile where up_first = ?"; $result = ingres_unbuffered_query($link, $query, $params); while ($row = ingres_fetch_row($result)) { echo $row[1]; echo $row[2]; } ?> Example #3 Inserting a BLOB with parameter types <?php $link = ingres_connect("demodb"); //Open a photo $fh = fopen("photo.jpg","r"); $blob_data = stream_get_contents($fh); fclose($fh); //Prepare parameters $params[] = $blob_data; $params[] = 1201; //Define parameter types $param_types = "Bi"; $query = "update user_profile set up_image = ? where up_id = ?"; $result = ingres_unbuffered_query($link, $query , $params, $param_types); if (ingres_errno()) { echo ingres_errno() . "-" . ingres_error() . " "; } ?> SEE ALSO
ingres_query(3), ingres_fetch_array(3), ingres_fetch_assoc(3), ingres_fetch_object(3), ingres_fetch_row(3), ingres_commit(3), ingres_roll- back(3), ingres_autocommit(3), ingres_set_environment(3), ingres_errno(3), ingres_error(3). PHP Documentation Group INGRES_UNBUFFERED_QUERY(3)