Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How To Use sed To Remove Text Between '/*'? Post 302783877 by hanson44 on Thursday 21st of March 2013 06:04:52 AM
Old 03-21-2013
Yes, you are probably right, a tool that understands the language is needed.

Code:
$ cat temp.x
Before /* with ** in middle */ After /* Another comment */
Before /* with ** in middle */ After
Before /* with / in middle */ After /* Another comment */
Before /* with / in middle */ After
Before /* nothing weird in middle */ After
Before /* nothing weird in middle */ After /* Another comment */

$ cpp temp.x | grep -v "^#"
Before After
Before After
Before After
Before After
Before After
Before After

Of course, cpp expands macros, so that's a flaw. But at least cpp handles comments perfectly, which is what the original poster wanted.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to remove html tags including text between them

How to use sed to remove html tags including text between them? Example: User <b> rolvak </b> is stupid. It does not using <b>OOP</b>! and should output: User is stupid. It does not using ! Thank you.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alphagon
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed over writes my original file (using sed to remove leading spaces)

Hello and thx for reading this I'm using sed to remove only the leading spaces in a file bash-280R# cat foofile some text some text some text some text some text bash-280R# bash-280R# sed 's/^ *//' foofile > foofile.use bash-280R# cat foofile.use some text some text some text... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laser
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text from a csv file using sed

I am trying to remove the ita from this file: "1234ita","john","smith" "56789ita","jim","thomas" the command i am using is: sed '/^ita/d' infile.csv > outfile.csv it is running but doing nothing, very rarely use sed so trying to learn it any help would be appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove 1st two characters every line of text file

what is the sed command to remove the first two characters of every line of a text file? each line of the text file has the same amount of characters, and they are ALL NUMERIC. there are hundreds of lines though. for example, >cat file1.txt 10081551 10081599 10082234 10082259 20081134... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
20 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or awk script to remove text / or perform calculations from large CSV files

I have a large CSV files (e.g. 2 million records) and am hoping to do one of two things. I have been trying to use awk and sed but am a newbie and can't figure out how to get it to work. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated - I'm stuck trying to remove the colon and wildcards in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: metronomadic
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text from n position to n position sed/awk

I want to remove text from nth position to nth position couple of times in same line my line is "hello is there anyone can help me with this question" I need like this ello is there anyone can help me with question 'h' is removed and 'this' removed from the line. I want to do this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove partial text in one line only

I have test.xml XML file like <Report account="123456" start_time="2014-09-08T00:00:00+00:00" end_time="2014-09-10T23:59:59+00:00" user="Dollar Tree" limit="1000000" more_sessions="some text "> <Session ......rest of xml............... I need output like <Report> <Session ......rest of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumars1331@gmai
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text with sed or anything?

Hi there, my first post, so you might find my noobness ;) I need help to fix a thing, find /mnt/fs01/gfx/ -iname "*.rar" > gfx.txt Gives this contained textfile: /mnt/fs01/gfx/toba/toba.rar /mnt/fs01/gfx/zeta/zimba.rar /mnt/fs01/gfx/brashe/getha.rar And now the tricky part (for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yabbah
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove text from file

Trying to use sed to, in-place, remove specific text from a file. Since there are / in the text I use | to escape that character. Thank you :). sed -i -e 's|xxxx://www.xxx.com/xx/xx/xxx/.*/|' /home/cmccabe/list sed: -e expression #1, char 51: unterminated `s' command (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove bracket including text inside with sed

Hello, I could not remove brackets with text contents myfile: Please remove the bracket with text I wish to remove: I tried: sed 's/\//' myfile It gives: Please remove the bracket with text A1 I expect: Please remove the bracket with text Many thanks Boris (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies
UNIFDEF(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						UNIFDEF(1)

NAME
unifdef, unifdefall -- remove preprocessor conditionals from code SYNOPSIS
unifdef [-ceklst] [-Ipath] [-Dsym[=val]] [-Usym] [-iDsym[=val]] [-iUsym] ... [-o output] [file] unifdefall [-Ipath] ... file DESCRIPTION
The unifdef utility selectively processes conditional cpp(1) directives. It removes from a file both the directives and any additional text that they specify should be removed, while otherwise leaving the file alone. The unifdef utility acts on #if, #ifdef, #ifndef, #elif, #else, and #endif lines, and it understands only the commonly-used subset of the expression syntax for #if and #elif lines. It handles integer values of symbols defined on the command line, the defined() operator applied to symbols defined or undefined on the command line, the operators !, <, >, <=, >=, ==, !=, &&, ||, and parenthesized expressions. Anything that it does not understand is passed through unharmed. It only processes #ifdef and #ifndef directives if the symbol is specified on the command line, otherwise they are also passed through unchanged. By default, it ignores #if and #elif lines with constant expressions, or they may be processed by specifying the -k flag on the command line. The unifdef utility also understands just enough about C to know when one of the directives is inactive because it is inside a comment, or affected by a backslash-continued line. It spots unusually-formatted preprocessor directives and knows when the layout is too odd to handle. A script called unifdefall can be used to remove all conditional cpp(1) directives from a file. It uses unifdef -s and cpp -dM to get lists of all the controlling symbols and their definitions (or lack thereof), then invokes unifdef with appropriate arguments to process the file. Available options: -Dsym[=val] Specify that a symbol is defined, and optionally specify what value to give it for the purpose of handling #if and #elif directives. -Usym Specify that a symbol is undefined. If the same symbol appears in more than one argument, the last occurrence dominates. -c If the -c flag is specified, then the operation of unifdef is complemented, i.e., the lines that would have been removed or blanked are retained and vice versa. -e Because unifdef processes its input one line at a time, it cannot remove preprocessor directives that span more than one line. The most common example of this is a directive with a multi-line comment hanging off its right hand end. By default, if unifdef has to process such a directive, it will complain that the line is too obfuscated. The -e option changes the behaviour so that, where pos- sible, such lines are left unprocessed instead of reporting an error. -k Process #if and #elif lines with constant expressions. By default, sections controlled by such lines are passed through unchanged because they typically start ``#if 0'' and are used as a kind of comment to sketch out future or past development. It would be rude to strip them out, just as it would be for normal comments. -l Replace removed lines with blank lines instead of deleting them. -o output The argument given is the name of an output file to be used instead of the standard output. This file can be the same as the input file. -s Instead of processing the input file as usual, this option causes unifdef to produce a list of symbols that appear in expressions that unifdef understands. It is useful in conjunction with the -dM option of cpp(1) for creating unifdef command lines. -t Disables parsing for C comments and line continuations, which is useful for plain text. -iDsym[=val] -iUsym Ignore #ifdefs. If your C code uses #ifdefs to delimit non-C lines, such as comments or code which is under construction, then you must tell unifdef which symbols are used for that purpose so that it will not try to parse comments and line continuations inside those #ifdefs. One specifies ignored symbols with -iDsym[=val] and -iUsym similar to -Dsym[=val] and -Usym above. -Ipath Specifies to unifdefall an additional place to look for #include files. This option is ignored by unifdef for compatibility with cpp(1) and to simplify the implementation of unifdefall. The unifdef utility copies its output to stdout and will take its input from stdin if no file argument is given. The unifdef utility works nicely with the -Dsym option of diff(1). DIAGNOSTICS
Too many levels of nesting. Inappropriate #elif, #else or #endif. Obfuscated preprocessor control line. Premature EOF (with the line number of the most recent unterminated #if). EOF in comment. The unifdef utility exits 0 if the output is an exact copy of the input, 1 if not, and 2 if in trouble. SEE ALSO
cpp(1), diff(1) HISTORY
The unifdef command appeared in 4.3BSD. ANSI C support was added in FreeBSD 4.7. BUGS
Expression evaluation is very limited. Preprocessor control lines split across more than one physical line (because of comments or backslash-newline) cannot be handled in every situation. Trigraphs are not recognized. There is no support for symbols with different definitions at different points in the source file. The text-mode and ignore functionality does not correspond to modern cpp(1) behaviour. BSD
June 5, 2009 BSD