Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Extract IP from logs and
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract IP from logs and Post 302783583 by Chubler_XL on Wednesday 20th of March 2013 04:40:22 PM
Old 03-20-2013
You will probably need to write a perl script to convert the date to epoch time
like this (name it strepoch.pl):
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
my @months = ("JAN", "FEB", "MAR", "APR", "MAY",
"JUN","JUL", "AUG", "SEP", "OCT", "NOV", "DEC");
use Time::Local 'timelocal';

my $mname, $month, $year, $month, $day, $hour, $min, $sec, $pm;

my $ln = $ARGV[0];
if($ln =~ /([A-z]{3}) (\d+), (\d{4}) (\d+):(\d\d):(\d\d) ([PA]M)/) {
  $ln =~ s/([A-z]{3}) (\d+), (\d{4}) (\d+):(\d\d):(\d\d) ([PA]M)/\1 \2 \3 \4 \5 \6 \7/;
  ($mname, $day, $year, $hour, $min, $sec, $pm) = split(/\s/, $ln);
  $hour += 12 if ($pm eq "PM" && $hour lt 12);
  ($month)=grep { $months[$_] eq uc($mname) } 0..$#months;
  printf "%d\n", timelocal($sec,$min,$hour,$day,$month,$year);
  exit(0);
} else {
  print { *STDERR } "Invalid date must be \"mmm dd, YYYY HH:MM:SS PM\"\n";
  exit(1);
}

Then in the script I posted before replace $(date -d"$TM" +%s) with $(./strepoch.pl "$TM")

---------- Post updated at 06:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:38 AM ----------

Don't forget to chmod 755 strepoch.pl, to test it try:

Code:
$ ./strepoch.pl "Mar 9, 2013 11:59:59 AM"

Last edited by Chubler_XL; 03-20-2013 at 05:53 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

logs

can i include this command into my crontab file > /var/adm/wtmp to clear the contents on a regular basis ? what about file permissions ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubicle^dweller
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logs

Hey Guys, i am new into shell programming and i have to do one script which have to record all the commands entered by a specific user. Example of that, i have a system running on unix, several users are using this system, i have to create like a databse which will record every user entered that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: charbel
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

logs

Hy, I have a question I have a directory in a unix server, Some of my files have a diffrent access time, from the time i accessed them last, I think some one has copied it,it's not an important file,but none the less,it is my file,It mistakenly had a 777 permission( yes ,I know it is a noob's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lordmod
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep yesterday logs from weblogic logs

Hi, I am trying to write a script which would go search and get the info from the logs based on yesterday timestamp and write yesterday logs in new file. The log file format is as follows: """"""""""""""""""""""""""... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish.parker
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed to extract distinct logs from a Log File

Hi, I urgently need some help how to extract distinct entries from a Log file. The Log File may have same error occuring many times so how do i count the occurance of an error in file and also extract out distinct errors in a file. Eg:- I have a file name A.log it contains entries as below:-... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: roro
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern,extract value(s) from next line, extract lines having those extracted value(s)

I have hundreds of files to process. In each file I need to look for a pattern then extract value(s) from next line and then search for value(s) selected from point (2) in the same file at a specific position. HEADER ELECTRON TRANSPORT 18-MAR-98 1A7V TITLE CYTOCHROME... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with extract application logs through shell script in performance testing

Hi Experts, I am new to shell.How to extract logs (Web,APP,Database) using shell in performance testing? Need for webserver logs,app server logs and d/b logs code. Thanks in advance Sree (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sree vasu
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to extract last 24 hrs logs from cronlog

Hi Friends, Can anybody help me to create a perl script to generate log file for last 24 hrs from cron log file ?? Thank You (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syamji.vm
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract logs between the current time and the last 15 minutes ?

I want to extract the logs between the current time stamp and 15 minutes before and sent an email to the people configured. I developed the below script but it's not working properly; can someone help me?? I have a log file containing this pattern: Constructor QuartzJob ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: puneetkhullar
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies
Time::Local(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					  Time::Local(3pm)

NAME
Time::Local - efficiently compute time from local and GMT time SYNOPSIS
$time = timelocal($sec,$min,$hour,$mday,$mon,$year); $time = timegm($sec,$min,$hour,$mday,$mon,$year); DESCRIPTION
This module provides functions that are the inverse of built-in perl functions "localtime()" and "gmtime()". They accept a date as a six- element array, and return the corresponding time(2) value in seconds since the system epoch (Midnight, January 1, 1970 GMT on Unix, for example). This value can be positive or negative, though POSIX only requires support for positive values, so dates before the system's epoch may not work on all operating systems. It is worth drawing particular attention to the expected ranges for the values provided. The value for the day of the month is the actual day (ie 1..31), while the month is the number of months since January (0..11). This is consistent with the values returned from "localtime()" and "gmtime()". FUNCTIONS
"timelocal()" and "timegm()" This module exports two functions by default, "timelocal()" and "timegm()". The "timelocal()" and "timegm()" functions perform range checking on the input $sec, $min, $hour, $mday, and $mon values by default. "timelocal_nocheck()" and "timegm_nocheck()" If you are working with data you know to be valid, you can speed your code up by using the "nocheck" variants, "timelocal_nocheck()" and "timegm_nocheck()". These variants must be explicitly imported. use Time::Local 'timelocal_nocheck'; # The 365th day of 1999 print scalar localtime timelocal_nocheck 0,0,0,365,0,99; If you supply data which is not valid (month 27, second 1,000) the results will be unpredictable (so don't do that). Year Value Interpretation Strictly speaking, the year should be specified in a form consistent with "localtime()", i.e. the offset from 1900. In order to make the interpretation of the year easier for humans, however, who are more accustomed to seeing years as two-digit or four-digit values, the following conventions are followed: o Years greater than 999 are interpreted as being the actual year, rather than the offset from 1900. Thus, 1964 would indicate the year Martin Luther King won the Nobel prize, not the year 3864. o Years in the range 100..999 are interpreted as offset from 1900, so that 112 indicates 2012. This rule also applies to years less than zero (but see note below regarding date range). o Years in the range 0..99 are interpreted as shorthand for years in the rolling "current century," defined as 50 years on either side of the current year. Thus, today, in 1999, 0 would refer to 2000, and 45 to 2045, but 55 would refer to 1955. Twenty years from now, 55 would instead refer to 2055. This is messy, but matches the way people currently think about two digit dates. Whenever possible, use an absolute four digit year instead. The scheme above allows interpretation of a wide range of dates, particularly if 4-digit years are used. Ambiguous Local Times (DST) Because of DST changes, there are many time zones where the same local time occurs for two different GMT times on the same day. For example, in the "Europe/Paris" time zone, the local time of 2001-10-28 02:30:00 can represent either 2001-10-28 00:30:00 GMT, or 2001-10-28 01:30:00 GMT. When given an ambiguous local time, the timelocal() function should always return the epoch for the earlier of the two possible GMT times. Non-Existent Local Times (DST) When a DST change causes a locale clock to skip one hour forward, there will be an hour's worth of local times that don't exist. Again, for the "Europe/Paris" time zone, the local clock jumped from 2001-03-25 01:59:59 to 2001-03-25 03:00:00. If the "timelocal()" function is given a non-existent local time, it will simply return an epoch value for the time one hour later. IMPLEMENTATION
These routines are quite efficient and yet are always guaranteed to agree with "localtime()" and "gmtime()". We manage this by caching the start times of any months we've seen before. If we know the start time of the month, we can always calculate any time within the month. The start times are calculated using a mathematical formula. Unlike other algorithms that do multiple calls to "gmtime()". The "timelocal()" function is implemented using the same cache. We just assume that we're translating a GMT time, and then fudge it when we're done for the timezone and daylight savings arguments. Note that the timezone is evaluated for each date because countries occasionally change their official timezones. Assuming that "localtime()" corrects for these changes, this routine will also be correct. BUGS
The whole scheme for interpreting two-digit years can be considered a bug. SUPPORT
Support for this module is provided via the datetime@perl.org email list. See http://lists.perl.org/ for more details. Please submit bugs to the CPAN RT system at http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Time-Local or via email at bug-time-local@rt.cpan.org. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2003 Graham Barr, 2003-2007 David Rolsky. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. AUTHOR
This module is based on a Perl 4 library, timelocal.pl, that was included with Perl 4.036, and was most likely written by Tom Christiansen. The current version was written by Graham Barr. It is now being maintained separately from the Perl core by Dave Rolsky, <autarch@urth.org>. perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 Time::Local(3pm)