Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to put delimiters in text files after fix characters? Post 302783529 by hanson44 on Wednesday 20th of March 2013 03:10:09 PM
Old 03-20-2013
Would something like this work?
Code:
$ cat temp.sh
string=2250300367391697204050470053888472012100817
for len in 17 5 4 3; do
  string=`echo $string | sed "s/^\(.\{$len\}\)\(.*\)/\1,\2/"`
done
echo $string

$ ./temp.sh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Randomly appearing control characters in text files

Hi, From some time, we have noticed that our ascii files have started corrupting due to the presence of some random control characters (^@, ^M, ^H, ^D). The characters appear randomly on any file after the process that creates the file finishes. If we rerun the process, the files re creates... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aakashahuja
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need help to put pipe(|) in between characters

Hi, I need to put | bet ween every 3 characters in a string. InString = abcd12342 Out = abc|d12|342 Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
3 Replies

3. Programming

c program to extract text between two delimiters from some text file

needa c program to extract text between two delimiters from some text file. and then storing them in to diffrent variables ? text file like 0: abc.txt ========= aaaaaa|11111111|sssssssssss|333333|ddddddddd|34343454564|asass aaaaaa|11111111|sssssssssss|333333|ddddddddd|34343454564|asass... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kukretiabhi13
7 Replies

4. AIX

Print text between two delimiters

Hi, Can somebody help me with the below situation, Input File, ======== 2007_08_07_IA-0100-014_(MONTHLY).PDF 2007_08_07_IA-0100-031_(QUARTERLY)(RERUN).PDF 2008-02-28_KR-1022-003_(MONTH)(RERUN)(REC1).CSV Required output, ============ MONTHLY QUARTERLY MONTH ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravicha
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Order text by delimiters

I try order the content from file by delimiters. This is the text: interface Loopback0 description !!!RID RR_SLT ip address 172.31.128.19 255.255.255.255 interface GigabitEthernet0 description !!!P_SLT GI0/0/9 ip address 172.31.130.246 255.255.255.252 and the result that I need... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbasystem
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to fix file with more delimiters

Hi, gunius I have a post as following I use one of posted code resolved. code following. awk -F\, 'NF==5{$3=$3""$4;$4="";sub(/,,/,",")}1' OFS="," infile I got new problem, my file contains some null column, target should be 126,,shepperd street 203#, 23459 using current code, I got ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to fix line breaks format text for huge files?

Hi, I need to correct line breaks for huge files (more than 1MM records in a file) and then format it properly. Except the header and trailer, each record starts with 'D'. Requirement:Scan the whole file except the header and trailer records and see if any of the records start with... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikionline
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put words to fix position in a file

Hi all, There are several lines in my file as a=123,b=dene,c=2312,d=234234,g=vxcvxcv,h=44 a=3,b=dene,c=22,d=23422342334,g=vxcvxcv,h=4 a=123,b=dene,c=2312,d=234234,g=vxcvxcv,h=678 I take values with this command awk -F '' '{print $1,$2,$3}' a.txt I want to put values to a fix position... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bahadiraktan
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change a set of characters between delimiters?

Hi all, I am trying to write a script for renaming some files and I can't understand how to replace a set of characters between delimiters with sed. The current filename is: <ID1>_<ID2>_<DATE>_<ID3>.PDF And I need to get the following: <ID1>_<ID2>_<DATE>_X01<ID2>.PDF I have tried the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bartleby
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extended ASCII Characters keep on getting reintroduced to text files

I am working with a log file that I am trying to clean up by removing non-English ASCII characters. I am using Bash via Cygwin on Windows. Before I start I set: export LC_ALL=C I clean it up by removing all non-English ASCII characters with the following command; grep -v $''... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
4 Replies
paste(1)							   User Commands							  paste(1)

NAME
paste - merge corresponding or subsequent lines of files SYNOPSIS
paste [-s] [-d list] file... DESCRIPTION
The paste utility will concatenate the corresponding lines of the given input files, and write the resulting lines to standard output. The default operation of paste will concatenate the corresponding lines of the input files. The NEWLINE character of every line except the line from the last input file will be replaced with a TAB character. If an EOF (end-of-file) condition is detected on one or more input files, but not all input files, paste will behave as though empty lines were read from the files on which EOF was detected, unless the -s option is specified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d list Unless a backslash character () appears in list, each character in list is an element specifying a delimiter character. If a backslash character appears in list, the backslash character and one or more characters following it are an element specifying a delimiter character as described below. These elements specify one or more delimiters to use, instead of the default TAB charac- ter, to replace the NEWLINE character of the input lines. The elements in list are used circularly. That is, when the list is exhausted, the first element from the list is reused. When the -s option is specified: o The last newline character in a file will not be modified. o The delimiter will be reset to the first element of list after each file operand is processed. When the option is not specified: o The NEWLINE characters in the file specified by the last file will not be modified. o The delimiter will be reset to the first element of list each time a line is processed from each file. If a backslash character appears in list, it and the character following it will be used to represent the following delimiter characters: Newline character. Tab character. \ Backslash character. Empty string (not a null character). If is immediately followed by the character x, the character X, or any character defined by the LC_CTYPE digit keyword, the results are unspecified. If any other characters follow the backslash, the results are unspecified. -s Concatenate all of the lines of each separate input file in command line order. The NEWLINE character of every line except the last line in each input file will be replaced with the TAB character, unless otherwise specified by the -d option. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: file A path name of an input file. If - is specified for one or more of the files, the standard input will be used. The standard input will be read one line at a time, circularly, for each instance of -. Implementations support pasting of at least 12 file operands. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of paste when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Listing a directory in one column example% ls | paste -d" " - Example 2: Listing a directory in four columns example% ls | paste - - - - Example 3: Combining pairs of lines from a file into single lines example% paste -s -d" t n" file ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of paste: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cut(1), grep(1), pr(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
"line too long" Output lines are restricted to 511 characters. "too many files" Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified. "no delimiters" The -d option was specified with an empty list. "cannot open file" The specified file cannot be opened. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1996 paste(1)