Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: LSF Job Routing Algorithm
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users LSF Job Routing Algorithm Post 302782631 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 19th of March 2013 08:30:36 AM
Old 03-19-2013
Assume you know the load profile your jobs generate e.g., low cpu, lots of I/O, some network traffic.

In this case I/O would be the determining factor. When you have no clue what some job will consume you try to balance cpu usage. Sometimes load balancing larger jobs means waiting for resources. If you know that job is a hog ahead of time.

The reason load balancing network site requests is usually attainable without too many issues -- they mostly have similar profiles, some db access, a small amount of I/O.

Since you are asking an extremely general question, you got an extremely general answer. What you are doing is playing "OS" in a sense - you are doing what the OS does - try to schedule jobs. In such a way that "everybody is happy". There are round-robin schedulers, fair share schedulers - as examples. google for each of those to see what is entailed.-----

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

killing unix job after the job process completes

Hi, Thanks in advance. i need to kill a unix background running job after that job process completes. i can kill a job by giving the following unix command kill -9 processid how to kill the job after the current process run gets completed ? Appreciate your valuable help. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dtazv
1 Replies

2. Solaris

killing a unix job after the job process gets completed

Hi, Thanks in advance. i need to kill a unix background running job after that job process completes. i can kill a job by giving the following unix command kill -9 processid how to kill the job after the current process run gets completed ? Appreciate your valuable help. Thanks... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtazv
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

algorithm

PID USERNAME SIZE RSS STATE PRI NICE TIME CPU PROCESS/NLWP 21444 tomusr 213M 61M sleep 29 10 1:20:46 0.1% java/43 21249 root 93M 44M sleep 29 10 1:07:19 0.2% java/56 is there anyway i can use a command to get the total of the SIZE? 306M (Derive from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filthymonk
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to insert child job under a box job?

I have this box job and it contains only one job under it which is to load a file. I want to insert a "File Watcher", "Copy File" to it? Have no clue how to do that...any help plzzz... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xejatt
4 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

LSF Server: could not load license

Hi All, Please help me to solve the problem when i submit a job on the client: #bsub -q normal -(blah blah....) I got the error messages: #batch system daemon not responding ... still trying #batch system daemon not responding ... still trying #batch system daemon not responding ... still... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: teppyvn
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Start a Job after finding the Old job completed

Hi Experts, I need a script advice to schedule 12 jobs ( SAS Codes execute back ground ). Algorithem: 1. Script checks first job. 2. Finds first job is done; invoke second job. 3. finds second job is done; invoke third job. .. Request you to please assist. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jerald Nathan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

autosys job configuration for job failure.

We need to configure autosys that when a job fails continously for 3 times, we need to call another job. Is this possible in Autosys, or can anyone advice on the alternative. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sangea
2 Replies

8. Programming

Please help me to develop algorithm

Hi guys , in my study book from which I re-learn C is task to generate all possible characters combination from numbers entered by the user. I know this algorithm must use combinatorics to calculate all permutations. Problem is how to implement algortihm. // This program reads the four numbers... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable to #BSUB -n in a LSF file

Hi There! I'm writing this LSF script to make it easier to send jobs to a cluster when varying certain parameters. At one point I'd like to do something like: set NPROC = 10 and later on call BSUB using something like: #BSUB -n $NPROC unfortunately for me, this throws an error: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lrayo
4 Replies
INET6_RTHDR_SPACE(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 				      INET6_RTHDR_SPACE(3)

NAME
inet6_rthdr_space, inet6_rthdr_init, inet6_rthdr_add, inet6_rthdr_lasthop, inet6_rthdr_reverse, inet6_rthdr_segments, inet6_rthdr_getaddr, inet6_rthdr_getflags -- IPv6 Routing Header Options manipulation LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <netinet/in.h> size_t inet6_rthdr_space(int type, int segments); struct cmsghdr * inet6_rthdr_init(void *bp, int type); int inet6_rthdr_add(struct cmsghdr *cmsg, const struct in6_addr *addr, unsigned int flags); int inet6_rthdr_lasthop(struct cmsghdr *cmsg, unsigned int flags); int inet6_rthdr_reverse(const struct cmsghdr *in, struct cmsghdr *out); int inet6_rthdr_segments(const struct cmsghdr *cmsg); struct in6_addr * inet6_rthdr_getaddr(struct cmsghdr *cmsg, int index); int inet6_rthdr_getflags(const struct cmsghdr *cmsg, int index); DESCRIPTION
RFC2292 IPv6 advanced API defines eight functions that the application calls to build and examine a Routing header. Four functions build a Routing header: inet6_rthdr_space() return #bytes required for ancillary data inet6_rthdr_init() initialize ancillary data for Routing header inet6_rthdr_add() add IPv6 address & flags to Routing header inet6_rthdr_lasthop() specify the flags for the final hop Four functions deal with a returned Routing header: inet6_rthdr_reverse() reverse a Routing header inet6_rthdr_segments() return #segments in a Routing header inet6_rthdr_getaddr() fetch one address from a Routing header inet6_rthdr_getflags() fetch one flag from a Routing header The function prototypes for these functions are all in the <netinet/in.h> header. The full description of these functions is available in RFC2292. DIAGNOSTICS
inet6_rthdr_space() returns 0 on errors. inet6_rthdr_add(), inet6_rthdr_lasthop() and inet6_rthdr_reverse() return 0 on success, and returns -1 on error. inet6_rthdr_init() and inet6_rthdr_getaddr() return NULL on error. inet6_rthdr_segments() and inet6_rthdr_getflags() return -1 on error. EXAMPLES
RFC2292 gives comprehensive examples in chapter 8. SEE ALSO
W. Stevens and M. Thomas, Advanced Sockets API for IPv6, RFC2292, February 1998. S. Deering and R. Hinden, Internet Protocol, Version 6 (IPv6) Specification, RFC2460, December 1998. HISTORY
The implementation first appeared in KAME advanced networking kit. STANDARDS
The functions are documented in ``Advanced Sockets API for IPv6'' (RFC2292). BUGS
The text was shamelessly copied from RFC2292. inet6_rthdr_reverse() is not implemented yet. BSD
December 10, 1999 BSD