Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Not able to create a link in /etc/rc3.d in Solaris 10 Post 302782561 by muraliinfy04 on Tuesday 19th of March 2013 05:45:57 AM
Old 03-19-2013
Not able to create a link in /etc/rc3.d in Solaris 10

HI I am using solaris 10.We are doing some failover testing and checking whether services are starting up when we reboot the server.

As part of process i have moved scripts to /etc/init.d directory and trying to create a link /etc/rc3.d like this.

But strangely it is giving an error eventhough there is no file or directoy exists with the samename.

Code:

Code:
root@dcwipvmvom002:/etc/rc3.d # ls -rl
total 24
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          17 Mar 14 06:14 S98gmdid -> /etc/init.d/gmdid
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          15 Mar 14 06:13 S97vma -> /etc/init.d/vma
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          15 Mar 14 06:13 S86spa -> /etc/init.d/spa
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          18 Mar 14 06:13 S85orderg -> /etc/init.d/orderg
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          18 Mar 14 06:12 S84orderm -> /etc/init.d/orderm
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          17 Mar 14 06:12 S83specs -> /etc/init.d/specs
-rwxr--r--   6 root     sys         2452 Apr  3  2012 S50apache
-rwxr--r--   6 root     sys          474 Jan 21  2005 S16boot.server
root@dcwipvmvom002:/etc/rc3.d # pwd
/etc/rc3.d

ln /etc/init.d/ingres* S82ingres
ln: S82ingres not found

Appreciate your quick help on this.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 03-19-2013 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: icode tags -> code tags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create Symbolic Link

I am Solaris korn shell. I want to create a symbolic link. I have a directory /u01/ftp01/db I want to reference it as /u05/swe/my (this is not a real directory) I tried a symbolic link but it does not work ln -s /u01/ftp01/db /u05/swe/my ln: cannot create //u05/swe/my: No such... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to create symbolic link between folders.....

hi champs, i have folders structure up to log is there , which is as below, app | |---version-4.1 | |----bin | | | | | |-----a.sh | | |-----b.sh | | | |----log | | \---version (symbolic link to version-4.1) but i want to create another folder... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to create a link

Hi All, I have a problem to writing a shell script to create a soft link in some other directory For eg: /opt/Shreedhar/Naik is directory now i need to write shell script in the path /opt/Shreedhar/Naik which should create a soft link in /opt/Shreedhar. I have tried to write the script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shreedhar Naik
3 Replies

4. AIX

How to create a sym link pointing a changing name.

Hello A new file is created every day with the date appended to the end of a name. We are using Autosys to run jobs which watches for the file and runs jobs. But Autosys does not have the capability to figure out the current date. I tried creating a symlink like this ln -s... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vra5107
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Create sym-link into /dev (zone)

Hi i need to install a software into a zone, and this kind of software needs to have a file who is linked into /dev. But it is not possible to create a link into /dev nor create a file into it. -bash-3.00# ln -s /tmp/testfile /dev/ ln: cannot create /dev//testfile: Permission denied... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beta17
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - Create mailto: link

Help! I am using sed to convert text files into easily viewed html tables. I have managed all except converting the email addresses to mailto: links. Multiple email addresses exist within the files, either preceded by a space or > (as part of HTML tag), and followed by either space or < I've... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nigel_R
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Create a Link for a directory

Hi, I need to create a link as stagein01 for the /p11/prod/stagein01/. Please let me know the procedure for the same. Regards, VN (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: narayanv
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cannot create a link with the same name

Hi - Our system admin cannot create a link to NAS with one particular name but he can create with other names. What might be the cause? Regards ---------- Post updated at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:29 AM ---------- It says permission denied. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: w020637
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to create variables to pass into a bash loop to create a download link

I have created one file that contains all the necessary info in it to create a download link. In each of the lines /results/analysis/output/Home/Auto_user_S5-00580-6-Medexome_67_032/plugin_out/FileExporter_out.67... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies
PIVOT_ROOT(8)						       Maintenance Commands						     PIVOT_ROOT(8)

NAME
pivot_root - change the root file system SYNOPSIS
pivot_root new_root put_old DESCRIPTION
pivot_root moves the root file system of the current process to the directory put_old and makes new_root the new root file system. Since pivot_root(8) simply calls pivot_root(2), we refer to the man page of the latter for further details. Note that, depending on the implementation of pivot_root, root and cwd of the caller may or may not change. The following is a sequence for invoking pivot_root that works in either case, assuming that pivot_root and chroot are in the current PATH: cd new_root pivot_root . put_old exec chroot . command Note that chroot must be available under the old root and under the new root, because pivot_root may or may not have implicitly changed the root directory of the shell. Note that exec chroot changes the running executable, which is necessary if the old root directory should be unmounted afterwards. Also note that standard input, output, and error may still point to a device on the old root file system, keeping it busy. They can easily be changed when invoking chroot (see below; note the absence of leading slashes to make it work whether pivot_root has changed the shell's root or not). EXAMPLES
Change the root file system to /dev/hda1 from an interactive shell: mount /dev/hda1 /new-root cd /new-root pivot_root . old-root exec chroot . sh <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 umount /old-root Mount the new root file system over NFS from 10.0.0.1:/my_root and run init: ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up # for portmap # configure Ethernet or such portmap # for lockd (implicitly started by mount) mount -o ro 10.0.0.1:/my_root /mnt killall portmap # portmap keeps old root busy cd /mnt pivot_root . old_root exec chroot . sh -c 'umount /old_root; exec /sbin/init' <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 SEE ALSO
chroot(1), mount(8), pivot_root(2), umount(8) Linux Feb 23, 2000 PIVOT_ROOT(8)