Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 9 - Unable to ping a particular server, traceroute also displays * * * Post 302782555 by Sanjay255 on Tuesday 19th of March 2013 05:34:40 AM
Old 03-19-2013
Hi All,

Please find the below details

Server A wants to communicate to server B
Server A is unable to even ping server B

We have a server C which is able to communicate with both server A and B and vice versa

All these servers are of Solaris 9

Server A details:-
Code:
lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
bcme1: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 3
        inet 172.21.87.148 netmask ffff0000 broadcast 172.21.255.255
        ether 0:16:35:6b:a4:14

netstat o/p:-
TCP: IPv4
   Local Address        Remote Address    Swind Send-Q Rwind Recv-Q  State
-------------------- -------------------- ----- ------ ----- ------ -------
Server A.telnet 10.242.137.197.61650 65792      1 66346      0 ESTABLISHED

Server B details:-

ifconfig -a
o0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
bcme0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
        inet 172.21.36.202 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 172.21.36.255

netstat 

TCP: IPv4
   Local Address        Remote Address    Swind Send-Q Rwind Recv-Q  State
-------------------- -------------------- ----- ------ ----- ------ -------
Server B.telnet         10.242.137.197.61733 65024      1 66346      0 ESTABLISHED

All the ftp and telnet services are up and running

Server A is able to communicate with other solaris server

The snoop output is huge do let me know if I need to paste the whole output

Please let me know if any further information is required

Thanks & Regards,
Sanjay
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 03-22-2013 at 08:52 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ping/traceroute setuid programs

This may be a dumb question, but I've been wondering why programs such as ping and traceroute must be setuid? Are there some restrictions which prevent normal users from accessing the world via sockets? $ pwd /bin $ ls -l ping traceroute -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 35616 Apr 7 2005 ping... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nathan
1 Replies

2. Solaris

unable to ping server

hi, I setup a Solaris machine in my server room and my client cannot access it. Can anyone advise? Test that i have done: -My client pc cannot ping the server. -My solaris server cannot ping client -My solaris server can ping it's gateway -Another NT machine 1 (10.179.30.26) in the server... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skiturn
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

unable to ping to my server

hi, I setup a Solaris machine in my server room and my client cannot access it. Can anyone advise? Test that i have done: -My client pc cannot ping the server. -My solaris server cannot ping client -My solaris server can ping it's gateway -Another NT machine 1 (10.179.30.26) in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: skiturn
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ping,telnet, traceroute

can you provide the command in solaris8 if I wanted to ping,telnet, traceroute an IP address with a port? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help in PING and traceroute command

i cannot find a usefull ping and traceroute command from TCP to another TCP server with port. I usually do only traceroute IP and ping IP..is that enough? I wanted to check its connectivity to an IP address with port.. example: from ip 1.1.1.1 (TCP port 1234) destination 2.2.2.2 (TCP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Unable to ping New server

Hi ALL, I Have installed NEW v240 server through hyper terminal, After installation i unable to ping the server from out side server... i can see no entry in resolve.conf file.. but the server has DNS.. willl that issue.. please guide me ping the server from outside within the same network bk (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suresh_krish
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to ping Solaris VM from Xp host

Hi All, I am using Vmware Workstation 6.0.3 build-80004. Guest OS: Solaris 10 Host OS : Win XP I am getting request time out when i am trying to ping from XP ( cmd line) to Solaris VM - I have assigned IP 192.168.50.5 in Solaris VM ( Hostname: Tower1) and it is in UP status. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Windows vista unable to ping to Solaris 10 on VM

Hi all, I have a VM on Solaris 10 setup on a windows vista host machine. 1) Vista host i configure VMnet 1: 10.1.1.10 Mask : 255.255.255.0 Subnet : 10.1.1.2 DNS : 10.1.1.100 2) Solaris on VM Network device is on Custom(VMNET1) IP : 10.1.1.4 Mask : 255.255.255.0 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: JuveZzZ
8 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Unable to ping Solaris from several Windows installations

Hello All, I have searched and searched, but I am not finding any answers. Any help would be very welcome. I have a home LAN centered around an Untangle gateway (up to date). I have a Windows 7 PC and a Snow Leopard Mac I also have two virtualized instances of windows (xp and 7) running... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: toadtilley
1 Replies

10. Solaris

able to ping all hosts but not able to traceroute any host

i am using solaris 10 and i am able to ping all the hosts but i am not able to traceroute any of them. how to fix this? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
9 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)