Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare files & extract column awk Post 302782105 by vaibhavvsk on Monday 18th of March 2013 09:03:06 AM
Old 03-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by panyam
Still it's not clear.

You want to do a line by comparison from file1 to file2?

something like the below sudo code?

Code:
for line1 in file1
do

file line2 in file2
do

if file1.fields <your comparison stuff> file2.fields --success
then
print file2 fields , file1 2nd column
else
print just file2 fields
fi

done

done

?
yes similar kind

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk compare column between 2 files

Hi, I would like to compare file1 and file2 file1 1 2 3 file2 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d The result should only print out "d" in file 2. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phamp008
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract a column from two different files in AWK?

Hi guys, I need help in extracting one column of numbers from two different files and display it in a output file. In specific, I want to extrac the column no.2 ($2) from each file, file1.txt, file2.txt. Then place both extracted columns in a one file, out.txt. the line command I use to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solracq
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compare two files using awk or sed, add values in a column if their previous fields are same

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yerruhari
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two files using awk or sed, add values in a column if their previous fields are same

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare & subtract lines in files by column using awk.

I have two files with similar column pattern as given below : 2 sample lines from file1 are given below. 18 12630 . G T 49.97 . AC=2;AF=1.00;AN=2;DP=3;Dels=0.00;FS=0.000;HRun=0;HaplotypeScore=0.0000;MQ=60.00;MQ0=0;NDA=1;QD=16.66;SB=-0.01 GT:AD:DP:GQ:PL ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaibhavvsk
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk command to compare files by column

So I have this issue. I have 4 files. the first one is the master file who has all possible combinations: file 1 - a - b - c - d - e the other three have some of the letters and a number instead of - for example file 2 34 a 5 c file 3 10 b 12 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quijotes
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files column values using awk

Judi # cat File1 judi /export/home 76 judi /usr 83 judi # judi # cat File2 judi /export/home 79 judi /usr 82 judi # if COLUMN3 of File2 is greater that COLUMN3 of File1, then print File2's lines juid /export/home 79 Code tags please (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: judi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 files and extract the data which is present in other file - awk is not working

file2 content f1file2 content f1,1,2,3,4,5 f1,2,4,6,8,10 f10,1,2,3,4,5 f10,2,4,6,8,10 f5,1,2,3,4,5 f5,2,4,6,8,10awk 'FNR==NR{a;next}; !($1 in a)' file2 file1output f10,1,2,3,4,5 f10,2,4,6,8,10 f5,1,2,3,4,5 f5,2,4,6,8,10awk 'FNR==NR{a;next}; ($1 in a)' file2 file1output nothing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gksenthilkumar
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need awk or Shell script to compare Column-1 of two different CSV files and print if column-1 matche

Example: I have files in below format file 1: zxc,133,joe@example.com cst,222,xyz@example1.com File 2 Contains: hxd hcd jws zxc cst File 1 has 50000 lines and file 2 has around 30000 lines : Expected Output has to be : hxd hcd jws (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestPractice
5 Replies
fspec(4)							   File Formats 							  fspec(4)

NAME
fspec - format specification in text files DESCRIPTION
It is sometimes convenient to maintain text files on the system with non-standard tabs, (tabs that are not set at every eighth column). Such files must generally be converted to a standard format, frequently by replacing all tabs with the appropriate number of spaces, before they can be processed by system commands. A format specification occurring in the first line of a text file specifies how tabs are to be expanded in the remainder of the file. A format specification consists of a sequence of parameters separated by blanks and surrounded by the brackets <: and :>. Each parameter consists of a keyletter, possibly followed immediately by a value. The following parameters are recognized: ttabs The t parameter specifies the tab settings for the file. The value of tabs must be one of the following: o A list of column numbers separated by commas, indicating tabs set at the specified columns. o A '-' followed immediately by an integer n, indicating tabs at intervals of n columns. o A '-' followed by the name of a ``canned'' tab specification. Standard tabs are specified by t-8, or equivalently, t1,9,17,25, etc. The canned tabs that are recognized are defined by the tabs(1) command. ssize The s parameter specifies a maximum line size. The value of size must be an integer. Size checking is performed after tabs have been expanded, but before the margin is prepended. mmargin The m parameter specifies a number of spaces to be prepended to each line. The value of margin must be an integer. d The d parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the line containing the format specification is to be deleted from the converted file. e The e parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the current format is to prevail only until another format specifi- cation is encountered in the file. Default values, which are assumed for parameters not supplied, are t-8 and m0. If the s parameter is not specified, no size checking is performed. If the first line of a file does not contain a format specification, the above defaults are assumed for the entire file. The following is an example of a line containing a format specification: * <:t5,10,15 s72:> * If a format specification can be disguised as a comment, it is not necessary to code the d parameter. SEE ALSO
ed(1), newform(1), tabs(1) SunOS 5.11 3 Jul 1990 fspec(4)