Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Dealing with white spaces in bash scripts Post 302781589 by venmx on Sunday 17th of March 2013 07:40:12 AM
Old 03-17-2013
Quote:
If you only need to support GNU tools (I'm making the assumption that you're using GNU find), a simpler, more efficient solution presents itself:
Thanks alister! I'm learning something every day Smilie

So, your doing away with awk by using -printf option to format the output of find, then using read to set the variables that can be used by chgrp. Very nice.

But can you believe people actually have file/directory names of Windows paths?! And URL's and even ones with line breaks built-in! Special characters and spaces galore... amazing!

In the end, I had to set/reset the IFS variable and multiple sed substitution to bring most of them in line. But not all! I'm bored of it now, so I'll send the few offending names to their respective users to fix themselves.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

SAVEIFS=$IFS
IFS=$(echo -en "\n\b")

find /home -gid 200 \( -type f -o -type d -o -type l \) | sed -e 's/\\/\\\\/g;s/:/\\:/g;s/ /\\ /g;s/\n//g' |
while read i; do
  chgrp -vh `ls -lnd "${i}" | awk '{print $3}'` "${i}"
#  ls -lnd "${i}"
done

IFS=$SAVEIFS

Messy Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting white spaces

How would I delete white spaces in a specified file? Also, I'd like to know what command I would use to take something off a regular expression, and put it onto another. ie. . . . expression1 <take_off> . . . expression2 (put here) . . . Any help would be great, thanks! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cary530
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete white spaces

hi all... i have the next question: i have a flat file with a lot of records (lines). Each record has 10 fields, which are separated by pipe (|). My problem is what sometimes, in the first record, there are white spaces (no values, nothing) in the beginning of the record, like this: ws ws... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

trimming white spaces

I have a variable that calls in a string from txt file. Problem is the string comes with an abundance of white spaces trailing it. Is there any easy way to trim the tailing white spaces off at the end? Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: briskbaby
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two or more white spaces in string

Hi, Can anybody suggest me how to combine two strings with two or more white spaces and assign it to a variable? E.g. first=HAI second=HELLO third="$first $second" # appending strings with more than one white spaces echo $third this would print HAI HELLO Output appears... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish_oty
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with spaces in file names in a shell script

Hi, What's the best way to find all files under a directory - including ones with space - in order to apply a command to each of them. For instance I want get a list of files under a directory and generate a checksum for each file. Here's the csh script: #!/bin/csh set files = `find $1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: same1290
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

white spaces in bash autocompletion

Hello dear community! I've recently written a BASH function for auto completion of options. It works like following: if a user types a command and then an argument to this command which starts with "^-" and then presses TAB, then 'user_command --help (or -h)' is invoked and possible options are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidorenko
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with files with spaces in the name

Hello, I'm a computer science major and I'm having problems dealing with file names with spaces in them. Particularly I'm saving a file name in a variable and then using the variable in a compare function i.e. a='te xt.txt' b='file2.txt' cmp $a $b If anyone could help me with this particular... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakethegreycat
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Leading white spaces

Hi, I am having problem in deleting the leading spaces:- cat x.csv baseball,NULL,8798765,Most played baseball,NULL,8928192,Most played baseball,NULL,5678945,Most played cricket,NOTNULL,125782,Usually played cricket,NOTNULL,678921,Usually played $ nawk 'BEGIN{FS=","}!a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scripter12
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - read white spaces

Hello! I have one problem with my bash script - I would like to be able to read white space characters from stdin (for example single " ") - can I acomplish that somehow? I need to read only one character at the time, so I use read -s -n 1 var but it doesn't work for whitespaces apparently. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xqwzts
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with filename spaces in Perl

The following command to replace text in place in multiple files in a directory is tripping up on filename spaces (Windows environment). I really don't know Perl. find '\\server\directory' | xargs perl -pi -e 's/textA/textB/g'Mike (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
2 Replies
SETRESUID(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						      SETRESUID(2)

NAME
setresuid, setresgid - set real, effective and saved user or group ID SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE /* See feature_test_macros(7) */ #include <unistd.h> int setresuid(uid_t ruid, uid_t euid, uid_t suid); int setresgid(gid_t rgid, gid_t egid, gid_t sgid); DESCRIPTION
setresuid() sets the real user ID, the effective user ID, and the saved set-user-ID of the calling process. Unprivileged user processes may change the real UID, effective UID, and saved set-user-ID, each to one of: the current real UID, the cur- rent effective UID or the current saved set-user-ID. Privileged processes (on Linux, those having the CAP_SETUID capability) may set the real UID, effective UID, and saved set-user-ID to arbi- trary values. If one of the arguments equals -1, the corresponding value is not changed. Regardless of what changes are made to the real UID, effective UID, and saved set-user-ID, the file system UID is always set to the same value as the (possibly new) effective UID. Completely analogously, setresgid() sets the real GID, effective GID, and saved set-group-ID of the calling process (and always modifies the file system GID to be the same as the effective GID), with the same restrictions for unprivileged processes. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EAGAIN uid does not match the current UID and this call would bring that user ID over its RLIMIT_NPROC resource limit. EPERM The calling process is not privileged (did not have the CAP_SETUID capability) and tried to change the IDs to values that are not permitted. VERSIONS
These calls are available under Linux since Linux 2.1.44. CONFORMING TO
These calls are nonstandard; they also appear on HP-UX and some of the BSDs. NOTES
Under HP-UX and FreeBSD, the prototype is found in <unistd.h>. Under Linux the prototype is provided by glibc since version 2.3.2. The original Linux setresuid() and setresgid() system calls supported only 16-bit user and group IDs. Subsequently, Linux 2.4 added setre- suid32() and setresgid32(), supporting 32-bit IDs. The glibc setresuid() and setresgid() wrapper functions transparently deal with the variations across kernel versions. SEE ALSO
getresuid(2), getuid(2), setfsgid(2), setfsuid(2), setreuid(2), setuid(2), capabilities(7), credentials(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-11-22 SETRESUID(2)