Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Serial programming using termios Post 302781587 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 17th of March 2013 07:35:39 AM
Old 03-17-2013
First off, consider compiling with all warnings enabled. Example: void *read will trigger lots of problems. read, write are standard names for UNIX syscalls.

Next -
Code:
    pthread_create(&threads[0], NULL, write, NULL);
    pthread_create(&threads[1], NULL, read, NULL);
    pthread_exit(NULL);

means that as soon as the two threads are created (assuming they were since you do not check return codes), ALL threads will exit - when you call pthread_exit() from main() it shuts down everything. So if and why your code runs - I cannot see? check out pthread_join().

There are many other issues with your code. There is a concept in programming: 'not even wrong'. Code can be wrong for lots of reasons. But when code goes off into undefined behavior - which yours is doing - it then does not have actual meaning. No offense. Your write function is doing reads -getchar() is a read.

First step: turn on compiler warnings, example:
Code:
gcc -Wall myfile.c

Fix your code until there are ZERO warnings.

Check and obey your return codes.

After you get that organized, please come back with more questions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

c programming or unix programming!?

i would like advice on the usbject of c programming (in the middle of reading a book on C). could i benefit more if i apply that knowledge in the unix format if i were able to, or would that take the point out of learning C, basically I want to stay away from strying too far away from unix and use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
1 Replies

2. Programming

Serial port programming

I am developing an application in c with Linux OS, where a radio modem working at baud rate 9600 will be attached to PC on serial port. More than four such units will be communicating at one time, so there may be jamming or data corruption. Each module will be transmitting Data packets less than... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj8109
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Carreer:Networking Programming in Unix (C programming Language)

Hello, I am trying to learn Networking Programming in C in unix enviorment. I want to know how good it is to become a network programmer. i am crazy about Network programming but i also want to opt for the best carreer options. Anybody experienced Network Programmer, please tell me is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
5 Replies

4. Programming

Programming serial port

Hello! Can someone advice me which method I will use if I want to communicate with device via RS232 serial port with this requirements: 1. Serial port is opened in non-canonical mode. 2. All the time I need to check is there something to read. 3. If I have to write something I need to write it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvrlic
6 Replies

5. Programming

C Programming - Hardware Programming

Can someone help me on suggesting some ways to access the memory content in RAM directly from C/C++ source code. Please provide me any book name or any URL so that I can get an exhaustive knowledge over it. If possible please give me some tips on interacting with hardwares directly through... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nandumishra
3 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Ubuntu 9.04 Serial application to telnet to serial device

Hello! I am working on an application which reads environmental instruments which have serial ports. The application requires a serial port to be present to talk to the device (i.e. /dev/ttyS0 ). In some instances the environmental devices will be 100's of yards away from the computer, so a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvona
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

Help with serial ports.

Hi, This is my first post here. I would like to ask: how to connect the barcode scanner to the serial port? What are the names in the system (in / dev) and serialport1 serialport0? Please help with this. Regards. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ftwojtek
2 Replies

9. Programming

[ERROR:Resource temporarily unavailable!] Serial writing by termios library

Hello, I am using the termios library to write data that I get from a Bluetooth device to a modem via serial. The data arrive from the Bluetooth device correctly every 50ms and I have to bypass them on the serial ttyUSB3 where it is connected to a modem connected to a socket with static IP. The... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: enaud
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

From iOS programming to Linux system programming

Hello. I like Linux and C programming language. Allways wanted to understand kernel and become a Linux system programmer. And I also like Objective-C and iOS. These two programming areas have relations: 1. Linux and iOS are UNIX-like systems, POSIX compliant. 2. It is useful to know C language... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rockatansky
2 Replies
PTHREAD_CREATE(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					 PTHREAD_CREATE(3)

NAME
pthread_create -- create a new thread LIBRARY
POSIX Threads Library (libpthread, -lpthread) SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_create(pthread_t *thread, const pthread_attr_t *attr, void *(*start_routine)(void *), void *arg); DESCRIPTION
The pthread_create() function is used to create a new thread, with attributes specified by attr, within a process. If attr is NULL, the default attributes are used. If the attributes specified by attr are modified later, the thread's attributes are not affected. Upon suc- cessful completion pthread_create() will store the ID of the created thread in the location specified by thread. The thread is created executing start_routine with arg as its sole argument. If the start_routine returns, the effect is as if there was an implicit call to pthread_exit() using the return value of start_routine as the exit status. Note that the thread in which main() was origi- nally invoked differs from this. When it returns from main(), the effect is as if there was an implicit call to exit() using the return value of main() as the exit status. The signal state of the new thread is initialized as: o The signal mask is inherited from the creating thread. o The set of signals pending for the new thread is empty. RETURN VALUES
If successful, the pthread_create() function will return zero. Otherwise an error number will be returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
The pthread_create() function will fail if: [EAGAIN] The system lacked the necessary resources to create another thread, or the system-imposed limit on the total number of threads in a process [PTHREAD_THREADS_MAX] would be exceeded. [EPERM] The caller does not have appropriate permission to set the required scheduling parameters or scheduling policy. [EINVAL] The value specified by attr is invalid. SEE ALSO
fork(2), pthread_attr(3), pthread_cancel(3), pthread_cleanup_pop(3), pthread_cleanup_push(3), pthread_exit(3), pthread_join(3) STANDARDS
The pthread_create() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1996 (``POSIX.1''). BSD
March 15, 2014 BSD