Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Dealing with white spaces in bash scripts Post 302781519 by alister on Saturday 16th of March 2013 08:47:41 PM
Old 03-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by venmx
And due to the nature of the find command, I had to expand it into 3 parts ... <snip> ...
Code:
#!/bin/sh

find /dump -type f -gid 200 |
while read i; do
  chgrp `ls -ln "${i}" | awk '{print $3}'` "${i}"
done

find /dump -type d -gid 200 |
while read i; do
  chgrp `ls -lnd "${i}" | awk '{print $3}'` "${i}"
done

find /dump -type l -gid 200 |
while read i; do
  chgrp -h `ls -lnd "${i}" | awk '{print $3}'` "${i}"
done

There's no reason to resort to three different traversals of /dump. Regular files, directories, and softlinks can be visited and modified simultaneously:
Code:
find /dump -gid 200 \( -type f -o -type d -o -type l \) |
while read i; do
  chgrp -h `ls -lnd "${i}" | awk '{print $3}'` "${i}"
done

If you only need to support GNU tools (I'm making the assumption that you're using GNU find), a simpler, more efficient solution presents itself:
Code:
find /dump -gid 200 \( -type f -o -type d -o -type l \) -printf '%U:%p\n' |
while IFS=: read -r uid fname; do
  chgrp -h "$uid" "$i"
done

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting white spaces

How would I delete white spaces in a specified file? Also, I'd like to know what command I would use to take something off a regular expression, and put it onto another. ie. . . . expression1 <take_off> . . . expression2 (put here) . . . Any help would be great, thanks! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cary530
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete white spaces

hi all... i have the next question: i have a flat file with a lot of records (lines). Each record has 10 fields, which are separated by pipe (|). My problem is what sometimes, in the first record, there are white spaces (no values, nothing) in the beginning of the record, like this: ws ws... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

trimming white spaces

I have a variable that calls in a string from txt file. Problem is the string comes with an abundance of white spaces trailing it. Is there any easy way to trim the tailing white spaces off at the end? Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: briskbaby
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two or more white spaces in string

Hi, Can anybody suggest me how to combine two strings with two or more white spaces and assign it to a variable? E.g. first=HAI second=HELLO third="$first $second" # appending strings with more than one white spaces echo $third this would print HAI HELLO Output appears... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish_oty
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with spaces in file names in a shell script

Hi, What's the best way to find all files under a directory - including ones with space - in order to apply a command to each of them. For instance I want get a list of files under a directory and generate a checksum for each file. Here's the csh script: #!/bin/csh set files = `find $1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: same1290
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

white spaces in bash autocompletion

Hello dear community! I've recently written a BASH function for auto completion of options. It works like following: if a user types a command and then an argument to this command which starts with "^-" and then presses TAB, then 'user_command --help (or -h)' is invoked and possible options are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidorenko
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with files with spaces in the name

Hello, I'm a computer science major and I'm having problems dealing with file names with spaces in them. Particularly I'm saving a file name in a variable and then using the variable in a compare function i.e. a='te xt.txt' b='file2.txt' cmp $a $b If anyone could help me with this particular... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakethegreycat
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Leading white spaces

Hi, I am having problem in deleting the leading spaces:- cat x.csv baseball,NULL,8798765,Most played baseball,NULL,8928192,Most played baseball,NULL,5678945,Most played cricket,NOTNULL,125782,Usually played cricket,NOTNULL,678921,Usually played $ nawk 'BEGIN{FS=","}!a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scripter12
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - read white spaces

Hello! I have one problem with my bash script - I would like to be able to read white space characters from stdin (for example single " ") - can I acomplish that somehow? I need to read only one character at the time, so I use read -s -n 1 var but it doesn't work for whitespaces apparently. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xqwzts
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with filename spaces in Perl

The following command to replace text in place in multiple files in a directory is tripping up on filename spaces (Windows environment). I really don't know Perl. find '\\server\directory' | xargs perl -pi -e 's/textA/textB/g'Mike (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
2 Replies
FIND(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   FIND(1)

NAME
find - find files meeting a given condition SYNOPSIS
find directory expression EXAMPLES
find / -name a.out -print # Print all a.out paths find /usr/ast ! -newer f -ok rm {} ; # Ask before removing find /usr -size +20 -exec mv {} /big ; # move files > 20 blks find / -name a.out -o -name '*.o' -exec rm {}; # 2 conds DESCRIPTION
Find descends the file tree starting at the given directory checking each file in that directory and its subdirectories against a predi- cate. If the predicate is true, an action is taken. The predicates may be connected by -a (Boolean and), -o (Boolean or) and ! (Boolean negation). Each predicate is true under the conditions specified below. The integer n may also be +n to mean any value greater than n, -n to mean any value less than n, or just n for exactly n. -name s true if current filename is s (include shell wild cards) -size n true if file size is n blocks -inum n true if the current file's i-node number is n -mtime ntrue if modification time relative to today (in days) is n -links ntrue if the number of links to the file is n -newer ftrue if the file is newer than f -perm n true if the file's permission bits = n (n is in octal) -user u true if the uid = u (a numerical value, not a login name) -group gtrue if the gid = g (a numerical value, not a group name) -type x where x is bcdfug (block, char, dir, regular file, setuid, setgid) -xdev do not cross devices to search mounted file systems Following the expression can be one of the following, telling what to do when a file is found: -print print the file name on standard output -exec execute a MINIX command, {} stands for the file name -ok prompts before executing the command SEE ALSO
test(1), xargs(1). FIND(1)