Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Expect Script - Variables are Empty immediately after "Setting" Them? Post 302780065 by Corona688 on Wednesday 13th of March 2013 06:34:32 PM
Old 03-13-2013
Exactly right. The $ gets substituted first, otherwise.

There is also an alternative way:

Code:
<<"EOF"

This kind of here-doc will not substitute, at all.

Last edited by Corona688; 03-13-2013 at 07:40 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

check input = "empty" and "numeric"

Hi how to check input is "empty" and "numeric" in ksh? e.g: ./myscript.ksh k output show: invalid number input ./myscript.ksh output show: no input ./myscript.ksh 10 output show: input is numeric (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoffry
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting shell variables with ":" syntax

I nedd help on the below highlited one. can any one explain on this,How its work in shell scripting.. then that will be very great full... L_ABCD=${L_DBG:=N} Thanks Muddasas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muddasani
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

exec perl in expect script yields "invalid command"

I'm trying to execute something like this: exec perl -i -pe 's/\015/\012/g' '${file}' in my expect script and I get: error "invalid command name \"perl\". however, if I run perl -i -pe 's/\015/\012/g' "/Users/Shared/menu-items.txt" directly in my terminal, it runs fine. I'm an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dpouliot
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing username and password to a script running inside "expect" script

Hi I'm trying to run a script " abc.sh" which triggers "use.sh" . abc.sh is nothing but a "expect" script which provides username and password automatically to the use.sh script. Please find below the scripts: #abc.sh #!/usr/bin/expect -f exec /root/use.sh expect "*name*" send... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baddykam
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone please show me a very simple "expect" script to change password in Solaris please?

Ladies & Gents, Can one of you gurus please show me a very simple "expect" script to change the password in Solaris in a script, please? Nothing fancy, no error checking, no nothing. Just to change the password of a new user, it's all. Many thanks in advance. U guys have honestly earned my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" { send "sudo su -\r" }"

Hi All, i am trying to ssh to a remote machine and execute certain command to remote machine through script. i am able to ssh but after its getting hung at the promt and after pressing ctrl +d i am gettin the out put as expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddharth shivh
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
PMERR(1)						      General Commands Manual							  PMERR(1)

NAME
pmerr - translate Performance Co-Pilot error codes into error messages SYNOPSIS
pmerr code ... pmerr -l DESCRIPTION
pmerr accepts standard Performance Co-Pilot (PCP) error codes via the code argument(s) and generates the corresponding error text. Each code may be an integer, a hexadecimal value or a hexadecimal value prefixed by either ``0x'' or ``0X''. Error codes must be less than zero, so if code is a positive number, a warning message is produced, and the negated value is used. The alternative use of the -l option causes all known error codes to be listed, along with their symbolic names and error text. PCP ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables with the prefix PCP_ are used to parameterize the file and directory names used by PCP. On each installation, the file /etc/pcp.conf contains the local values for these variables. The $PCP_CONF variable may be used to specify an alternative configura- tion file, as described in pcp.conf(5). SEE ALSO
PMAPI(3), pmErrStr(3), pcp.conf(5) and pcp.env(5). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PMERR(1)