Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Convert a 3 column tab delimited file to a matrix Post 302779519 by mirni on Tuesday 12th of March 2013 11:02:00 PM
Old 03-13-2013
Try this:
Code:
awk '
{a[$1,$2]=$3; b[$1];}
END{
  for(i in b)   #print header
    printf("\t%s",i);  
  printf("\n");
  for(i in b) { #each row
     printf("%s\t",i); 
     for(j in b)  #each column
        printf("%d\t", a[i,j]);
     printf("\n");
   } 
}' SUBSEP="\t" input.txt

Not that the rows/columns are not sorted.

But honestly, for this kind of data-mangling job, you are better off using some other data processing tool. E.g. with GNU R and "reshape" package it's piece of cake:
Code:
 d = read.table("mydata.txt")
 library(reshape)
 cast(d, V1 ~ V2 )

Last edited by mirni; 03-13-2013 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: R addendum
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to mirni For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert tab delimited file to .csv file

Hi, Can any one please help me in converting a tab delimited file in .csv file. Records in my file are similar to mentioned below: DET 001 0201 AC032508970 01478E1X8 DET 002 0202 AC032508971 01478E1X8 Could any one please suggest me what approach would be more suitable for this or if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtidke
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert a text file into tab delimited format?

I have a text file that made using text editor in Ubuntu. However the text file is not being recognized as space or tab delimited, the formatting seems to be messed up. How can I convert the text file into tab delimited format? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract second column tab delimited file

I have a file which looks like this: 73450 articles and news developmental psychology 2006-03-30 16:22:40 1 http://www.usnews.com 73450 articles and news developmental psychology 2006-03-30 16:22:40 2 http://www.apa.org 73450 articles and news developmental psychology 2006-03-30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert comma delimited file to tab separator

Hi all, How can i convert comma delimited .csv file to tab separate using sed command or script. Thanks, Krupa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete an entire column from a tab delimited file

Hi, Can anyone please tell me about how we can delete an entire column from a tab delimited file? Mu input_file.txt looks like this: And I want the output as: I used the below code nawk -v d="1" 'BEGIN{FS=OFS="\t"}{$d=""}{print}' input_file.txtBut in the output, the first column is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampoorna
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert space&tab delimited file to CSV?

Hello, I have a text file with space and tab (mixed) delimited file and need to convert into CSV. # cat test.txt /dev/rmt/tsmmt32 HP Ultrium 6-SCSI J3LZ 50:03:08:c0:02:72:c0:b5 F00272C0B5 0/0/6/1/1.145.17.255.0.0.0 /dev/rmt/c102t0d0BEST /dev/rmt/tsmmt37 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to convert a pipe delimited text file to tab delimited

Hi, I have a rquirement in unix as below . I have a text file with me seperated by | symbol and i need to generate a excel file through unix commands/script so that each value will go to each column. ex: Input Text file: 1|A|apple 2|B|bottle excel file to be generated as output as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raja kakitapall
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Excel File (xls) to tab delimited text file on AIX

Hi i have a problem in my job i try to convert an excel file (xls extention) to text file (tab delimited), but no result with this comand cat xxx.xls > xxx.txt Do you have eny idea? PS: sorry for my english Thanks!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frisso
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert pipe demilited file to vertical tab delimited

Hi All, How can we convert pipe delimited ( or comma ) file to vertical tab (VT) delimited. Regards PK (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasson_ibm
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace a column in tab delimited file with column in other tab delimited file,based on match

Hello Everyone.. I want to replace the retail col from FileI with cstp1 col from FileP if the strpno matches in both files FileP.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: YogeshG
2 Replies
COLUMN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 COLUMN(1)

NAME
column -- columnate lists SYNOPSIS
column [-tx] [-c columns] [-s sep] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or, by default, from the standard input. Empty lines are ignored. The options are as follows: -c Output is formatted for a display columns wide. -s Specify a set of characters to be used to delimit columns for the -t option. -t Determine the number of columns the input contains and create a table. Columns are delimited with whitespace, by default, or with the characters supplied using the -s option. Useful for pretty-printing displays. -x Fill columns before filling rows. ENVIRONMENT
The COLUMNS, LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of column as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The column utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
(printf "PERM LINKS OWNER GROUP SIZE MONTH DAY " ; printf "HH:MM/YEAR NAME " ; ls -l | sed 1d) | column -t SEE ALSO
colrm(1), ls(1), paste(1), sort(1) HISTORY
The column command appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) bytes in length. BSD
July 29, 2004 BSD