Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Filtering out Non-Lingual characters Post 302778453 by RudiC on Monday 11th of March 2013 03:53:36 AM
Old 03-11-2013
You may want to consider character classes in regexes. man regex:
Quote:
Within a bracket expression, the name of a character class enclosed in "[:" and ":]" stands for the list of all characters belonging
to that class. Standard character class names are:

alnum digit punct
alpha graph space
blank lower upper
cntrl print xdigit

These stand for the character classes defined in wctype(3). A locale may provide others. A character class may not be used as an endpoint of a range.
Your locale may influence which chars are treated as e.g. alpha etc.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace characters with random characters

I've got a file (numbers.txt) filled with numbers and I want to replace each one of those numbers with a new random number between 0 and 9. This is my script so far: #!/bin/bash rand=$(($RANDOM % 9)) sed -i s//$rand/g numbers.txtThe problem that I have is that it replaces each number with just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellocatfood
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help me to do some filtering

I have to grep a pattern. scenario is like :- Suppose "/etc/sec/one" is a string, i need to check if this string contains "one" using any utility something like if /etc/sec/one | grep ; then Thanks in advance Renjesh Raju (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

5. AIX

Need help with filtering

Hi!! I have a bit of a task here and filtering/scripting not my strongest. I have to collect info of approx 1100 hdiskpower.so i have appended all the hdisk into a text file and i need it to run the command lscfg -vl to confirm if the drive is symmetrix. here's what i have so far at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpundit
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filtering

Hi I am interested in DNS resolving a set of sites and each time the output is different- $ host www.yahoo.com www.yahoo.com is an alias for fd-fp3.wg1.b.yahoo.com. fd-fp3.wg1.b.yahoo.com is an alias for ds-fp3.wg1.b.yahoo.com. ds-fp3.wg1.b.yahoo.com is an alias for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reducing multiple entries in a tri-lingual dictionary to single entries

Dear all, I am editing a tri-lingual dictionary for open source which has the following data structure English headwords <Tab>Devanagari Headwords<Tab>PersoArabic headwords as in the example below to mark, to number अंगणु (اَنگَڻُ) The English headword entry has at times more than one word,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help need to convert bi-lingual files in sub-title format

I have a large number of files in the standard subtitle format with the additional proviso that the files are bi-lingual i.e. English and a second language: in this case Hindi. A small sample is given below: 00 04 07 08 00 04 11 00 I mean very high fever... He even vomited. 00 04 07 08 00... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first 2 characters and last two characters of each line

here's what im trying to do. i have a file containing lines similar to this: data.txt: 1hsRmRsbHRiSFZNTTA1dlEyMWFkbU5wUW5CSlIyeDFTVU5SYjJOSFRuWmpia0ZuWXpKV2FHTnRU 1lKUnpWMldrZFZaMG95V25oYQpSelEyWTBka2QyRklhSHBrUjA1b1kwUkJkd3BOVXpWM1lVaG5k... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
ISWALPHA(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       ISWALPHA(3)

NAME
iswalpha - test for alphabetic wide character SYNOPSIS
#include <wctype.h> int iswalpha(wint_t wc); DESCRIPTION
The iswalpha() function is the wide-character equivalent of the isalpha(3) function. It tests whether wc is a wide character belonging to the wide-character class "alpha". The wide-character class "alpha" is a subclass of the wide-character class "alnum", and therefore also a subclass of the wide-character class "graph" and of the wide-character class "print". Being a subclass of the wide-character class "print", the wide-character class "alpha" is disjoint from the wide-character class "cntrl". Being a subclass of the wide-character class "graph", the wide-character class "alpha" is disjoint from the wide-character class "space" and its subclass "blank". Being a subclass of the wide-character class "alnum", the wide-character class "alpha" is disjoint from the wide-character class "punct". The wide-character class "alpha" is disjoint from the wide-character class "digit". The wide-character class "alpha" contains the wide-character classes "upper" and "lower". The wide-character class "alpha" always contains at least the letters 'A' to 'Z' and 'a' to 'z'. RETURN VALUE
The iswalpha() function returns nonzero if wc is a wide character belonging to the wide-character class "alpha". Otherwise it returns zero. CONFORMING TO
C99. NOTES
The behavior of iswalpha() depends on the LC_CTYPE category of the current locale. SEE ALSO
isalpha(3), iswctype(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
1999-07-25 ISWALPHA(3)