Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming [Perl] Different printf formating for different print options Post 302777157 by DGPickett on Thursday 7th of March 2013 11:58:54 AM
Old 03-07-2013
I'm just saying that for good code structure, especially in printf situaitons where a template bit matches a data argument, doing one at a time give you a virtual array of lines where the template is right by the data and any comment, one field a line, give or take the occasional adjacent series of constants.

At a higher level, put all or minority record types in separate subroutines, so the flow is simple to follow: writeHeader, while ... writeData, writeTrailer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

formating array file output using perl

Hello, I am trying to output the values in an array to a file. The output needs to be formated such that each array value is left jusified in a field 8 character spaces long. Also, no more than 6 fields on a line. For example: @array= 1..14; Needs to be output to the file like so: 1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seismic_willy
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print a % within a printf() function using awk

Here is the code I'm using { printf("%11d %4.2f\% %4.2f\%\n", $1,$2,$3); } I want the output to look something like 1235415234 12.24% 52.46% Instead it looks something like 319203842 42.27\%4.2f\% How do I just print a "%" without awk or printf thinking I'm trying to do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Awanka
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Formating in Perl

Hi All, Can anybody tell me why is there a "0" in my output of $date_today ? #!/usr/local/bin/perl $date_today = system "date '+%y%m%d'"; print "$date_today\n"; Output: $ perl test4 080908 0 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: formating number without printf

Hello, I wrote a script that does lot of things, and I would like to change the format of a number but without printing it now (so I don't want to use printf as it will print the value immediately). Schematically here is what I have: awk 'BEGIN{number=0.01234567} $1==$2{$3=number}... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

file formating in Perl

Hi, I am new to unix , I have a requirement for formating the input file and generate the output file as per the downstream requirement .. My application receiving a text input file having 4 field and my application need to check each field and if some value of a field is blank ..then it need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: julirani
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print a string using printf?

I want to print a string say "str1 str2 str3 str4" using printf. If I try printing it using printf it is printing as follows. output ------- str1 str2 str3 str4 btw I'm working in AIX. This is my first post in this forum :) regards, rakesh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: enigmatrix
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remove print formating from printer output file

I have a print file taken from the print spooler and I want to delete all the formatting leaving only the text. If you vi the file it shows "\304\304 ...." which translates into a printed line on print output. I need to be able to edit and pass this file to another process Thnaks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: petercp
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formating of query variable in perl

Hi , I am facing error in perl when I assign a below query in a varibale $query because of new line charchters $query= SELECT XYZ , ABC , c2 , c3 , c4 FROM t1 how can i get rid of new line charchters with out changing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvk25
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's the difference between print and printf in command?

For example, in this command: ls /etc/rc0.d/ -print ls /etc/rc0.d/ -printfThe outputs are quite different, why? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Henryyy
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combine print and printf on awk

# cat t.txt 2,3,4,5,A,2012-01-01 00:00:28 2,6,4,5,A,2012-01-02 00:00:28 2,7,4,5,A,2012-01-02 02:00:28 # awk -F"," '{OFS=",";print $2,"";printf("%s", strftime("%m%d%y",$6));printf("%s", strftime("%H%M%S \n",$6));print ("",$1)}' t.txt 3, 010170073332 ,2 6, 010170073332 ,2 7,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: before4
3 Replies
MboxParser::Mail::Body(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       MboxParser::Mail::Body(3pm)

NAME
Mail::MboxParser::Mail::Body - rudimentary mail-body object SYNOPSIS
use Mail::MboxParser; [...] # $msg is a Mail::MboxParser::Mail my $body = $msg->body(0); # or preferably my $body = $msg->body($msg->find_body); for my $line ($body->signature) { print $line, " " } for my $url ($body->extract_urls(unique => 1)) { print $url->{url}, " "; print $url->{context}, " "; } DESCRIPTION
This class represents the body of an email-message. Since emails can have multiple MIME-parts and each of these parts has a body it is not always easy to say which part actually holds the text of the message (if there is any at all). Mail::MboxParser::Mail::find_body will help and suggest a part. METHODS
as_string ([strip_sig => 1]) Returns the textual representation of the body as one string. Decoding takes place when the mailbox has been opened using the decode => 'BODY' | 'ALL' option. If 'strip_sig' is set to a true value, the signature is stripped from the string. as_lines ([strip_sig => 1]) Sames as as_string() just that you get an array of lines with newlines attached to each line. NOTE: When the body is actually some encoded binary data (most commonly such a body is base64-encoded), you can still use this method. Then you wont really get proper lines. Instead you get chunks of binary data that you should concatenate as in my $binary = join "", $body->as_lines; If 'strip_sig' is set to a true value, the signature is stripped from the string. signature Returns the signature of a message as an array of lines. Trailing newlines are already removed. $body->error returns a string if no signature has been found. extract_urls extract_urls (unique => 1) Returns an array of hash-refs. Each hash-ref has two fields: 'url' and 'context' where context is the line in which the 'url' appeared. When calling it like $mail->extract_urls(unique => 1), duplicate URLs will be filtered out regardless of the 'context'. That's useful if you just want a list of all URLs that can be found in your mails. $body->error() will return a string if no URLs could be found within the body. quotes Returns a hash-ref of array-refs where the hash-keys are the several levels of quotation. Each array-element contains the paragraphs of this quotation-level as one string. Example: my $quotes = $msg->body($msg->find_body)->quotes; print $quotes->{1}->[0], " "; print $quotes->{0}->[0], " "; This should print the first paragraph of the mail-body that has been quoted once and below that the paragraph that supposedly is the reply to this paragraph. Perhaps thus: > I had been trying to work with the CGI module > but I didn't yet fully understand it. Ah, it is tricky. Have you read the CGI-FAQ that comes with the module? Mark that empty lines will not be ignored and are part of the lines contained in the array of $quotes->{0}. So below is a little code-snippet that should, in most cases, restore the first 5 paragraphs (containing quote-level 0 and 1) of an email: for (0 .. 4) { print $quotes->{0}->[$_]; print $quotes->{1}->[$_]; } Since quotes() considers an empty line between two quotes paragraphs as a paragraph in $quotes->{0}, the paragraphs with one quote and those with zero are balanced. That means: scalar @{$quotes->{0}} - DIFF == scalar @{$quotes->{1}} where DIFF is element of {-1, 0, 1}. Unfortunately, quotes() can up to now only deal with '>' as quotation-marks. VERSION
This is version 0.55. AUTHOR AND COPYRIGHT
Tassilo von Parseval <tassilo.von.parseval@rwth-aachen.de> Copyright (c) 2001-2005 Tassilo von Parseval. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl v5.12.3 2005-12-08 MboxParser::Mail::Body(3pm)