Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications I can't get sendmail to stop considering itself as localhost.localdomain Post 302777065 by davidm123SED on Thursday 7th of March 2013 10:15:58 AM
Old 03-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInGermany
I think sendmail gets a domain name (or first item in search list) from /etc/resolv.conf,
and a hostname from /etc/hosts, where the hosts: line in /etc/nsswitch.conf matters.
It will certainly succeed when
Code:
getent hosts `hostname`

returns a FQDN.
Maybe you should not override that with localhost.localdomain...
Sorry to get back to you so late. Nope, the box is still sending e-mails as 'localhost.localdomain', despite the fact that there is not a single instance of that word anywhere in /etc/mail.

HELP!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

apache@localhost.localdomain

Hello, I am ltrying to find the config file to modify a parameter for apache (I guess). Here, when sending mail using php web form I get a copy of all mail sent from that form, but here is a sample of what I get : From : apache@localhost.localdomain To : myemail@host.com Subject : Mail ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to stop others users to stop viewing what i am doing ?

Hi , I have one question, suppose i am a normal user and when i use 'w' command , it shows who is logged on and what they are doing . Now i want to stop others users to know what i am doing accept the root ? can i do this ? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobile01
5 Replies

3. Solaris

solaris 8/9 sendmail stop

Hi All, I need to stop sendmail from running on boot-up. How can I do this on Solaris 8 and 9 sparc? Please help and that you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

4. Solaris

stop solaris 8 sendmail from running on startup

sorry i got this already... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

5. Solaris

stop sendmail srvice

dear all does any one know how to stop send mail in solaris (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: murad.jaber
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DIG uses localhost

Hi, I have these entries in the /etc/esolv.conf: ------------ domain xxxxxx search yyyyyy nameserver 127.0.0.1 nameserver aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa nameserver bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb ------------- When I use 'dig' or 'nslookup' command, like 'dig yahoo.com' it uses the localhost as the server. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaandana
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Delay in sending email to-from localhost in Sendmail

Hi Friends, I am very much new to sendmail or any other mta. I just installed sendmail 8.14 on my rhel6 machine. I was trying to send email to local user but after entering the message when i press CTRL-D it simply hangs. I also tried sending email via mutt but again mutt also hangs. It sends... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohit Bhanot
0 Replies

8. Debian

Waiting for localhost.

I am getting the message - waiting for localhost. Here are some diagnostic steps I have tried .... root@meow:/home/ethan# cat /var/www/cgi-bin/httpd.conf ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/jkj ServerName 127.0.0.1:80 Listen xx.xx.xx.xx:80 Listen 127.0.0.1:80 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Meow613
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Clarifying sendmail configuration - sendmail-client offline

Hi all, I have read about sendmail running as 2 separate process. 1 as a MSP, and the other as the real daemon or MTA. In my current configuration, the sendmail-client is disabled. Both submit.cf and sendmail.cf are left as default untouch I do not specified any mailhost... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot find localhost

I get a "not found" error from this localhost/choice.php ethan@meow:~$ ping 127.0.0.1 PING 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.025 ms 64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.036 m and this ethan@meow:~$ mysql -u... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
4 Replies
getent(1M)																getent(1M)

NAME
getent - get entries from administrative database SYNOPSIS
getent database [key...] getent gets a list of entries from the administrative database specified by database. The information generally comes from one or more of the sources that are specified for the database in /etc/nsswitch.conf. database is the name of the database to be examined. This can be passwd, group, hosts, ipnodes, services, protocols, ethers, project, net- works, or netmasks. For each of these databases, getent uses the appropriate library routines described in getpwnam(3C), getgrnam(3C), gethostbyaddr(3NSL), gethostbyname(3NSL), getipnodebyaddr(3SOCKET), getipnodebyname(3SOCKET), getservbyname(3SOCKET), getprotoby- name(3SOCKET), ethers(3SOCKET), getprojbyname(3PROJECT) and getnetbyname(3SOCKET), respectively. Each key must be in a format appropriate for searching on the respective database. For example, it can be a username or numeric-uid for passwd; hostname or IP address for hosts; or service, service/protocol, port, or port/proto for services. getent prints out the database entries that match each of the supplied keys, one per line, in the format of the matching administrative file: passwd(4), group(4), project(4), hosts(4), ipnodes(4), services(4), protocols(4), ethers(3SOCKET), networks(4), or netmasks(4). If no key is given, all entries returned by the corresponding enumeration library routine, for example, getpwent() or gethostent(), are printed. Enumeration is not supported on ipnodes. The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 Command syntax was incorrect, an invalid option was used, or an internal error occurred. 2 At least one of the specified entry names was not found in the database. 3 There is no support for enumeration on this database. /etc/nsswitch.conf name service switch configuration file /etc/passwd password file /etc/group group file /etc/inet/hosts IPv4 host name database /etc/inet/ipnodes IPv4 and IPv6 host name database /etc/services Internet services and aliases /etc/project project file /etc/protocols protocol name database /etc/ethers Ethernet address to hostname database or domain /etc/networks network name database /etc/netmasks network mask database See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ ethers(3SOCKET), getgrnam(3C), gethostbyaddr(3NSL), gethostbyname(3NSL), gethostent(3NSL), getipnodebyaddr(3SOCKET), getipnodeby- name(3SOCKET), getnetbyname(3SOCKET), getprojbyname(3PROJECT), getprotobyname(3SOCKET), getpwnam(3C), getservbyname(3SOCKET), group(4), hosts(4), ipnodes(4), netmasks(4), networks(4), nsswitch.conf(4), passwd(4), project(4), protocols(4), services(4), attributes(5) 1 Feb 2005 getent(1M)