Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Determining Values for NIce and Priority items in limits.conf file Post 302776597 by DGPickett on Wednesday 6th of March 2013 02:25:15 PM
Old 03-06-2013
Yes, it's a bit short sighted that UNIX ts mode login goes to the highest allowed priority, rather than somewhere in the middle, like 30. Then, users could tweak their background or other-terminal processes up or down using nice and renice. It's all relative, after all. I guess the real trick is to get out of time sharing into real time mode, like Windows' Realtime!

They even put a 'bgnice' option in ksh at some point, so you could make all background processes nicer by default.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

limits.conf

Hello! How do make the limits.conf parameters work for a normal user. Ive changed both the hard and soft parameter for the specific user. It used to be 4096 and i changed it to 16384. But when i use the ulimit -n, all i got is permissen denied. Witch i can understand. But my question is? how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dozy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

limits.conf

I have line in this file that says: username - maxlogins 1 and user can login 2 times instad of one. does enybody know why? and how can I fix that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shooroop
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

urgent help required on changing process priority using nice

Hi folks, Hope you can help me. I have a process that is currently running at nice 20 and need it to run faster (-10?). How do I change the process using nice? I have the process number and thought it would be along the lines of; nice -10 process_id but it doesn't seem to like that. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gshuttleworth
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc/security/limits.conf

HI, To restrict the number of files and number of processes used the user we use the following configuration in the file /etc/security/limits.conf. oracle soft nofile 65572 oracle hard nofile 65572 oracle soft noproc 16384 oracle soft noproc 16384 My question is what do the 'soft' and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris counterpart of /etc/security/limits.conf

Hi, How can we set per user core file size, etc in solaris, i.e. I want solaris counterpart/equivalent of linux /etc/security/limits.conf. TIA (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slash_blog
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Modifying limits.conf & pam.d

Hello all, I'm running Oracle 10.2 on RHEL5. Current value of ulimit -n is set to a low value of 1024. I need to increase it to 65536 using the following procedure. cat >> /etc/security/limits.conf <<EOF oracle soft nproc 2047 oracle hard nproc 16384 oracle soft nofile 1024 oracle hard... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

max/ideal value of items in limits.conf in rhel5?

i want to set limits in /etc/security/limits.conf.My os is rhel 5.2. It was giving continuous messages in in /var/log/secure like : continuously. I have changed values of priority and nice to "0" from unlimited and messages are not comming. But i want to know what is the ideal/maximum... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Nice command (priority) from /bin/ksh

Hello, I am just starting with shell scripting, as everyone will soon see from my question. What I'm trying to do is call the Nice command to set the script process priority from /bin/ksh. The difference is I'm running it not directly through the shell, but through Bigfix (very similar to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solly119
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Soft and hard limits for nproc value in /etc/security/limits.conf file (Linux )

OS version : RHEL 6.5 Below is an excerpt from /etc/security/limits.conf file for OS User named appusr in our server appusr soft nproc 2047 appusr hard nproc 16384 What will happen if appusr has already spawned 2047 processes and wants to spawn 2048th process ? I just want to know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
3 Replies
nice(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   nice(1)

NAME
nice - run a command at nondefault priority SYNOPSIS
command [command_args] command [command_args] DESCRIPTION
The command executes command at a nondefault CPU scheduling priority. (The name is derived from being "nice" to other system users by run- ning large programs at lower priority.) Arguments The command-line arguments are as follows: priority_change The difference between the system nice value (relative priority) of the current (or parent) process and the actual system nice value at which command is to run. An unsigned value increases the system nice value for command, causing it to run at lower priority. A negative value requires superuser privileges, and assigns a lower system nice value (higher priority) to command. If the current process is not privileged, the value is silently treated as if it were 0. If the value of priority_change would result in a system nice value outside the range 0 through 39, the correspond- ing limit value of 0 or 39 is used instead. Note that a positive priority_change (lower priority) has a single option character before the numeric value; a neg- ative (higher priority) priority_change has two: the option character followed by the minus sign If is not speci- fied, it defaults to command A program, HP-UX command, user shell script, etc. to be executed at the nondefault priority. command can be run as a foreground or background process. If command is run as a background process, any nice priority_change made by the shell executes all background pro- cesses via is in addition to that specified in the command line. command_args Any arguments recognized by command. Process Priorities All processes have an associated system nice value which is used to compute the instantaneous-priority of the process when it is scheduled to run. Normally, all processes inherit the system nice value of their parent process when they are spawned. The shell etc.) can create a child process with a different priority from the current shell process by spawning the child process via the command. If the prior- ity_change value is unsigned (positive), the child process is nicer (lower in priority) relative to the parent. If the priority_change value is negative, the child process runs at a higher priority with a greater share of available system resources. To spawn a higher pri- ority child process, the parent process must be owned by a user who has the appropriate privileges. At boot-up, the system starts the process at a system nice value of 20 (system default). On most systems, all processes (down to the login shells) inherit this priority. Starting from their individual login shell processes, users can alter the system nice value of descendent processes to as much as 39, or, with appropriate privileges, as little as 0. A system nice value of 0 establishes an extremely high prior- ity, whereas a value of 39 indicates a very low priority. Ordinary users can only increase the system nice value of any child process relative to the current process; i.e., priority_change must be a positive (unsigned) value, resulting in a lower priority. To start a child process at a lower system nice value (higher priority) than the current process, the user must have the appropriate privileges, regardless of the relative nice-priority value desired. For example, using the command from a login shell whose current nice value is 20 spawns a subshell with a system nice value of 30. Attempting to use from the new shell to spawn another subshell whose system nice value would be 28, is rejected (unless the user has appropriate privileges), even though the resulting system nice value would be less than the priority of the original login shell process. The system nice value for current processes is listed under the column produced by the command (see ps(1)). Background Processes Foreground processes are run at same system nice value as the parent shell. Background processes spawned by run at the equivalent of a by default. If a background process is started via from any priority_change specified in the command is added to default Thus the command runs at a system nice value of 36 if executed from EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. RETURN VALUE
returns the value returned by command. EXAMPLES
The following examples assume the current process is running with a system nice value of 20 and is executed from the Korn shell (see ksh(1)). Run a program named in the current directory at the default priority_change of 10 (system nice value of 30): Run the same program in the background using a system nice value of 36 (priority_change=12 plus 4 for the Korn shell): As a user with appropriate privileges, run as a foreground process with a system nice value of 6: WARNINGS
The C shell, has a built-in command with different syntax. See csh(1) for details. SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), nohup(1), sh-posix(1), sh(1), renice(1M), nice(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
nice(1)