Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk return number of entries
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk return number of entries Post 302776533 by Yoda on Wednesday 6th of March 2013 01:08:19 PM
Old 03-06-2013
Regexp /<[^>]*>/ means:

/ -- Begin pattern

<[^>]*> -- < followed by zero or more occurrence * of any character [^>] other than > followed by >

/ -- End pattern

The gsub function returns the number of substitutions made which the code prints.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

return number of rows selected

Hi all, i am doing a perl script to read from a db. I am able to retrieve the rows, but i am unable to return the number of rows selected. i tried $selectedrows = $sth->numrows; i got the error msg: Can't locate object method "numrows" via package "DBI::st" i changed it to $selectedrows =... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff Command to return the number of lines inserted,deleted and changed.

Hello, I have to compare two files file1 and file2, retrieve the number of lines modified (added, deleted or modified) in file2. Output must be like: File2: Added Deleted Changed Total ------ ------- -------- ----- 2 1 1 4 Somebody... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmattam
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return Number of Substitutions made by SED?

Hi guys, Is there any way this can be done, or return whether any substitutions have been made? thanks for any input. skinnygav (using Bash shell) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skinnygav
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to trap script error and return line number of failure

Hey all UNIX nerds- I've built a shell script which runs pretty well- only I want it to have much better error trapping. (Like the kind I could apply to every shell script I write). I'm not a UNIX genius, and could really use a bit of help. The original script goes something like this: 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevekerver
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to return the middle line number

I need an awk script that returns the 1st field of the line in the middle of a file. For example, if a file I have has 6 lines, I want it to return the 1st field on line number 3. If a file has 7 lines, I want the script to return the 1st field on line number 4. File1: 3 214 4 219 5 226 2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jontjioe
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search specific pattern in file and return number of occurence

Hi I want to search for a specific pattern in file Say ABC;HELLO_UNIX_WORLD;PQR ABC;HELLO_UNIX_WORLD_IS_NOT_ENOUGH;XYZ ABC;HELLO_UNIX_FORUM;LMN Pattern to search is : "HELLO_UNIX_*****" and not "HELLO_UNIX_***_***_" I mean after "HELLO_UNIX" there can only be one word.In this case... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I use sed to return only the serial number here?

I'd appreciate the help and explaining "which each switch/command does. Thanks in advance. 1742@3min# ./fmtopo|grep serial hc://:product-id=SUNW,Sun-Blade-2500:server-id=c3admin:serial=130B58E3146/motherboard=0/cpu=0 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LittleLebowski
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to find number in a field then print the line and the number

Hi I want to use awk to match where field 3 contains a number within string - then print the line and just the number as a new field. The source file is pipe delimited and looks something like 1|net|ABC Letr1|1530||| 1|net|EXP_1040 ABC|1121||| 1|net|EXP_TG1224|1122||| 1|net|R_North|1123|||... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Print column number that return value comes from

I have the following awk script that I am using to find the max value in the file and print results. awk 'BEGIN {MAX=-1E100} {for (x=2; x<=NF; x++) if ($x>MAX) {MAX = $x; C1 = $1}} END {print substr(C1,1,11), substr(C1,13,4), substr(C1,18,2), MAX}' ABC* Input (ABC*) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to return only field with a number in it

What is an awk command to print only fields with a number in it?? Input file....... S,S,S,S,S,S,S,S,S 001S,S,S,S,S,S,S,S,S 00219S,23S,24S,43S,47S,S,S,S,S 00319S,10S,23S,41S,43S,47S,S,S,S 00423S,41S,43S,46S,47S,S,S,S,S 00510S,23S,24S,43S,46S,S,S,S,S 00610S,23S,43S,46S,47S,S,S,S,S... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethsays
2 Replies
Regexp::Common::whitespace(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			     Regexp::Common::whitespace(3)

NAME
Regexp::Common::whitespace -- provides a regex for leading or trailing whitescape SYNOPSIS
use Regexp::Common qw /whitespace/; while (<>) { s/$RE{ws}{crop}//g; # Delete surrounding whitespace } DESCRIPTION
Please consult the manual of Regexp::Common for a general description of the works of this interface. Do not use this module directly, but load it via Regexp::Common. $RE{ws}{crop} Returns a pattern that identifies leading or trailing whitespace. For example: $str =~ s/$RE{ws}{crop}//g; # Delete surrounding whitespace The call: $RE{ws}{crop}->subs($str); is optimized (but probably still slower than doing the s///g explicitly). This pattern does not capture under "-keep". SEE ALSO
Regexp::Common for a general description of how to use this interface. AUTHOR
Damian Conway (damian@conway.org) MAINTAINANCE
This package is maintained by Abigail (regexp-common@abigail.be). BUGS AND IRRITATIONS
Bound to be plenty. For a start, there are many common regexes missing. Send them in to regexp-common@abigail.be. LICENSE and COPYRIGHT This software is Copyright (c) 2001 - 2009, Damian Conway and Abigail. This module is free software, and maybe used under any of the following licenses: 1) The Perl Artistic License. See the file COPYRIGHT.AL. 2) The Perl Artistic License 2.0. See the file COPYRIGHT.AL2. 3) The BSD Licence. See the file COPYRIGHT.BSD. 4) The MIT Licence. See the file COPYRIGHT.MIT. perl v5.16.2 2010-02-23 Regexp::Common::whitespace(3)