Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help splitting files greater than 250mb Post 302775881 by mirni on Tuesday 5th of March 2013 02:48:48 PM
Old 03-05-2013
They don't. 250 MB = 262144000 bytes: 262144000/(1024*1024)=250
If you want 250 million bytes instead, use "MB" instead of "M", or just the number. Look at man split for details.
You can look at the file size expressed in k,M etc bytes by doing
Code:
ls -lh

Quote:
ksh[7]: suff++:
Seems like you are using ksh; do you have the shebang line as I wrote it?:
#!/bin/bash

In any case, you can try to change
Code:
((suff++))

to
Code:
let suff += 1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting specific files greater then 90 days

I have a directory that contains a number of history files for a process. Every file starts with the string "EVACK". FOr example EVACK0101.000001 EVACK0102.095940 EVACKmmdd.hhmiss I want to erase in the specific directory ONLY(no sub-directories) all EVACK files older then 90 days. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beilstwh
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem creating files greater than 2GB

With the C code I am able to create files greater than 2GB if I use the 64 bit compile option -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64. There I am using the function fprintf to write into the file. But when I use C++ and ofstream the file is getting truncated when the size grows beyond 2GB. Is there any special... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobbyjohnz
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Important finding --- find files greater than 1 MB

as we can find file greater than 1 MB with find command as: find /dir -name '*' -size +1M find /dir/* -name '*' -size +1M but wats its doing is , its finding files only in current directory not in sub-directories. i want files from sub-directories too. Please help... Thanx in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj_dahiya22
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to find files equal to and greater than

Hi Guys and Gals, I'm having some difficulty putting this check into a shell script. I would like to search a particular directory for a number of files. The logic I have is pretty simple: Find file named *.txt that are newer than <this file> and count them If the number of files is equal to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List of Files which are Greater then a specific date

A newbie question... I need to get a list of the Files and folders which are greater then a specific date. I want write the output to a Text file. What I know ls -lrt gives me list of all the files ordered by date. Also ls > fileName will write the results to a text file. Please help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkaif
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files greater than a particular date in filename.

I need a unix command which will find all the files greater that a particular date in the file name. say for example I have files like(filenaming cov : filename.YYDDMMSSSS.txt) abc.201206015423.txt abc.201207013456.txt abc.201202011234.txt abc.201201024321.txt efg.201202011234.txt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
11 Replies

7. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Very Urgent ---Need to delete the log files when the disk used% greater than 85% using df -k*

Hi, I am new to Shell scripts. I have an urgent requirement to find the disk space using "df -k". from that output,I need to check the used% whether greater than 85%. if it is greater than 85% then need to delete my log files. It is very urgent please some one help me. Thanks in Advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anandbarnabas
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to delete the log files when the disk used% greater than 85% using df -k

Hi, I am new to Shell scripts. I have an urgent requirement to find the disk space using "df -k". from that output,I need to check the used% whether greater than 85%. if it is greater than 85% then need to delete my log files. It is very urgent please some one help me. Thanks in Advance... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anandbarnabas
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help list/find files greater 1G move to different directory

I have have 6 empty directory below. I would like write bash scipt if any files less "1000000000" bytes then move to "/export/home/mytmp/final" folder first and any files greater than "1000000000" bytes then move to final1, final2, final3, final4, final4, final5 and that depend see how many files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotran
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Automate splitting of files , scp files as each split completes and combine files on target server

i use the split command to split a one terabyte backup file into 10 chunks of 100 GB each. The files are split one after the other. While the files is being split, I will like to scp the files one after the other as soon as the previous one completes, from server A to Server B. Then on server B ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaika
2 Replies
SPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split -- split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split -d [-l line_count] [-a suffix_length] [file [prefix]] split -d -b byte_count[K|k|M|m|G|g] [-a suffix_length] [file [prefix]] split -d -n chunk_count [-a suffix_length] [file [prefix]] split -d -p pattern [-a suffix_length] [file [prefix]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads the given file and breaks it up into files of 1000 lines each (if no options are specified), leaving the file unchanged. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, split reads from the standard input. The options are as follows: -a suffix_length Use suffix_length letters to form the suffix of the file name. -b byte_count[K|k|M|m|G|g] Create split files byte_count bytes in length. If k or K is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count kilobyte pieces. If m or M is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count megabyte pieces. If g or G is appended to the num- ber, the file is split into byte_count gigabyte pieces. -d Use a numeric suffix instead of a alphabetic suffix. -l line_count Create split files line_count lines in length. -n chunk_count Split file into chunk_count smaller files. -p pattern The file is split whenever an input line matches pattern, which is interpreted as an extended regular expression. The matching line will be the first line of the next output file. This option is incompatible with the -b and -l options. If additional arguments are specified, the first is used as the name of the input file which is to be split. If a second additional argument is specified, it is used as a prefix for the names of the files into which the file is split. In this case, each file into which the file is split is named by the prefix followed by a lexically ordered suffix using suffix_length characters in the range ``a-z''. If -a is not speci- fied, two letters are used as the suffix. If the prefix argument is not specified, the file is split into lexically ordered files named with the prefix ``x'' and with suffixes as above. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE environment variables affect the execution of split as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The split utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
csplit(1), re_format(7) STANDARDS
The split utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A split command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
The maximum line length for matching patterns is 65536. BSD
May 9, 2013 BSD