Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Capturing Output?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Capturing Output? Post 302775229 by mrm5102 on Monday 4th of March 2013 10:35:11 AM
Old 03-04-2013
Hey Shamrock, thanks for your reply!

Awesome, that did it!

I had to remove the 2nd "2>&1" that was right after the 'cat' Command in order to get its STDERR to be captured by the
array "COMMAND_OUTPUT"... But other then that it worked PERFECTLY..!

Final code to capture both Command's STDERR & STDOUT into an Array:
Code:
IFS="
"

declare -a COMMAND_OUTPUT=( $(exec 2>&1; cat "$SEND_FILE" | send_nsca $IPADDR -p 5667 -to 10 -d , -c $SEND_NSCA_CFG ; echo "EXIT_CODES=${PIPESTATUS[@]}") )

Thanks again everybody for all your suggestions!

Thanks Again Shamrock,
Matt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

capturing the output of grep as integer variable

Hi, I have an expression using grep and nawk that captures the ID number of a given Unix process. It gets printed to screen but I don't know how to declare a variable to this returned value! For example, ps -ef|grep $project | grep -v grep | nawk '{print $2}' This returns my number. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babariba
2 Replies

2. Programming

Capturing cli Program output

A few years ago I took a C programming class and used both Linux and FreeBSD as my operating systems and gcc as the compiler. I ran a Command-line utility to to capture what happened as I ran the code, the output was saved to a file that I specified when I ran the utility command (that I can't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Christopher
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing output in script

I have the following line in my script: $sftpcmd $rmthost <<COMMANDS>> $sftplog 2>&1 For some reason this is not capturing the errors from sftp, they go to the file attached to the cron entry ie mm hh dd MM * /myscript > cron.out any idea why? digital unix 4.0d (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capturing output from C++ program

Hi I have a C++ program that generates a lot of log information on the console, I need this output (printed using printf function) to go to a file since I will use crontab to schedule the job. I know I can do this: myprog > myfile but I don't know how to enter this in crontab. I use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the output from an exec command

Hi, I'm new to ksh - unix platform. I'm writing a small script which will search my current directory and will search for file names which it takes input from the users. Here is the code I'm having. 1 #!/bin/ksh 2 echo "enter a file name to be searched in the current dir : " 3 read... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avik
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing output from top and format output

Hi all, I'd like to capture the output from the 'top' command to monitor my CPU and Mem utilisation.Currently my command isecho date `top -b -n1 | grep -e Cpu -e Mem` I get the output in 3 separate lines.Tue Feb 24 15:00:03 Cpu(s): 3.4% us, 8.5% sy .. .. Mem: 1011480k total, 226928k used, ....... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing and sending of vmstat output everyday

I need to capture the vmstat output of a server every 5 minutes, in a text filename with the name in the format vmoutput. yesterday's date.txt. I need to get the vmstat o/p for the whole day with 5 minutes interval and send it (preferably ftp) to my local desktop folder. eg: vmstat 300... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yuvanash
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the output of dbv

Hello, We have an oracle database running on a Linux host (RHEL5)...I'm trying to run Oracle dbv (database verify utility) and capture its output to a file using the following syntax but the standart output does NOT get redirected to the file... dbv blocksize=32768 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the output of a background job

Hello, I unfortunately have a process that does two things, it returns an answer to me and then does a bunch of work that I would like to wait on. Here is a simple example: #!/bin/bash function p_w { echo "poopy" sleep 10 echo "scoop" } foo=$(p_w &) sleep 1 echo "1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: brsett
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help capturing output of expect script

match_max 500000 set timeout 30 set outcome1 {} set outcome2 {} set inputfile C:\\Users\\Administrator\\Desktop\\inputfile.txt send -i $con "\r"; expect -i $con "Desktop>" { exp_send "type $inputfile \r" } set timeout 30 expect { "Desktop>" { set outcome $expect_out(0,string);}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cityprince143
3 Replies
GRC(1)							      General Commands Manual							    GRC(1)

NAME
grc - frontend for generic colouriser grcat(1) SYNOPSIS
grc [options] command [args] DESCRIPTION
grc will execute command command with optional parameters [args] piping its stdout or stderr into grcat, with apropriate configuration file. Configuration file for grc is determined by /etc/grc.conf file. Format of /etc/grc.conf: each entry consists of 2 lines, between entries there can be any number of empty lines or lines beginning with # (comments) First line is regular expression, second line the name of configuration file for grcat. Configuration file after the first regular expression matching command [args] will be passed to grcat as its configuration file OPTIONS
--help Show summary of options. --version Display version. -e --stderr Redirect error output. Unless -s is selected as well, this cancels redirection of standard output via grcat -s --stdout Redirect standard output. Used to redirect standard output together with --stderr option. --colour=x x is one of on off auto --colour=on will colourise (default) --colour=off will just execute command without colourising. --colour=auto will test if standard output is a tty, and colourise only when it is. SEE ALSO
grcat(1) AUTHOR
Written by Radovan Garabik <garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk> GRC(1)