Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux SLES Gui Not coming up
Operating Systems Linux SuSE Linux SLES Gui Not coming up Post 302775087 by rupeshkp728 on Monday 4th of March 2013 05:07:03 AM
Old 03-04-2013
Linux SLES Gui Not coming up

I had sles 11 sp2 installed on my system some days back and it was running fine.
Today after I restarted my system the gui is not coming up and system starts in command terminal.
sax2 command returns error:
sax: gui is missing, starting command line interface
sax: no x-server running

and startx return errors like failed to load modules freetype, fbdev, kbd, mouse.

What might be the issue and how to resolve it?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Need a gui for linux.

I want one that won't run too slugish on a slower system (p 200Mhz for example). I know kde is out, anybody think gnome will run ok (I got 128 megs ram on it btw...don't ask :))? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pudad
5 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Linux GUI

I got Linux 9 installed on my system with the GUI. One fine day....the GUI wouldn't start. How should i set it right? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: preeya
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Linux not logging into GUI

hi, Can someone help in trouble shooting why my RedHat linux 8.0 in not logging into the KDE screen. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kayode
1 Replies

4. SuSE

SLES - 10 -DFLT_MSGMAX - Message queues in /usr/src/linux/ipc/mqueue.c

Folks, Does anyone know the magic to balancing out the: DFLT_MSGMAX and the DFLT_MSGSIZEMAX values? Is there some magical formula... We have a home grown program that is choking we think because of these values (the 10 and the 8192 defaults) Thanks, thomas B. #define... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lacakid
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell scripts for linux SLES 10

Hi, could someone help me to create the following scripts Need to create couple of shell scripts on LINUX SLES 10 Using my id --------------- First script – this script should contain su and should take input <process name> 1 -login using my id and then sudo to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lookinginfo
1 Replies

6. SuSE

SLES 9 vs SLES 11 hard drive cache read timings are diffrent

Can anyone give me a little clue on why the hard drive cache read timings on sles 9 is better then sles 11? The same hardware was used in both test. I even deleted the ata_generic module from initrd. The speed difference is 10MB vs 5 MB Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 3junior
1 Replies

7. SuSE

HELP for Newbie: Unable to run GUI installer (Ubuntu client connected to SLES server)

Hello All, I'm using my Ubuntu 10.04 client connected via SSH to a SuSE Linux server (SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64) version 11 patchlevel=1). I'm trying to run an install of WebSphere Portal but can't seem to be able to run the GUI installer. Running xclock as root returns this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kartrait
7 Replies

8. Red Hat

Redhat Linux machine not coming up

We have a Redhat Enterprise Linux server which is not in production environment. Unfortunately it is not logging. How to trouble shoot it ?? How to know the exact problem ? :rolleyes: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux SuSE SLES 8 error..unable to issue shutdown command

the only way we can power off is if we actually press power button on server. Running on HP DL-G4. from root, when we issue command it just returns to root prompt. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amexboy
1 Replies
RESTART_SYSCALL(2)                                           Linux Programmer's Manual                                          RESTART_SYSCALL(2)

NAME
restart_syscall - restart a system call after interruption by a stop signal SYNOPSIS
int restart_syscall(void); Note: There is no glibc wrapper for this system call; see NOTES. DESCRIPTION
The restart_syscall() system call is used to restart certain system calls after a process that was stopped by a signal (e.g., SIGSTOP or SIGTSTP) is later resumed after receiving a SIGCONT signal. This system call is designed only for internal use by the kernel. restart_syscall() is used for restarting only those system calls that, when restarted, should adjust their time-related parameters--namely poll(2) (since Linux 2.6.24), nanosleep(2) (since Linux 2.6), clock_nanosleep(2) (since Linux 2.6), and futex(2), when employed with the FUTEX_WAIT (since Linux 2.6.22) and FUTEX_WAIT_BITSET (since Linux 2.6.31) operations. restart_syscall() restarts the interrupted system call with a time argument that is suitably adjusted to account for the time that has already elapsed (including the time where the process was stopped by a signal). Without the restart_syscall() mechanism, restarting these system calls would not correctly deduct the already elapsed time when the process continued execution. RETURN VALUE
The return value of restart_syscall() is the return value of whatever system call is being restarted. ERRORS
errno is set as per the errors for whatever system call is being restarted by restart_syscall(). VERSIONS
The restart_syscall() system call is present since Linux 2.6. CONFORMING TO
This system call is Linux-specific. NOTES
There is no glibc wrapper for this system call, because it is intended for use only by the kernel and should never be called by applica- tions. The kernel uses restart_syscall() to ensure that when a system call is restarted after a process has been stopped by a signal and then resumed by SIGCONT, then the time that the process spent in the stopped state is counted against the timeout interval specified in the original system call. In the case of system calls that take a timeout argument and automatically restart after a stop signal plus SIGCONT, but which do not have the restart_syscall() mechanism built in, then, after the process resumes execution, the time that the process spent in the stop state is not counted against the timeout value. Notable examples of system calls that suffer this problem are ppoll(2), select(2), and pselect(2). From user space, the operation of restart_syscall() is largely invisible: to the process that made the system call that is restarted, it appears as though that system call executed and returned in the usual fashion. SEE ALSO
sigaction(2), sigreturn(2), signal(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 RESTART_SYSCALL(2)