Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep a line from file?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers grep a line from file? Post 302775077 by MadeInGermany on Monday 4th of March 2013 04:43:52 AM
Old 03-04-2013
What speaks against the correct REGEX
Code:
grep '^\*' file

?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file then grep the line

Dear all, I am reading a file that has 1 column. While reading I must find the line references from the another file. The following shell doesn't works. Please help #!/bin/bash while read filename; do grep ${filename} fs_full.dat >> unprocfull.dat; done < unproc.dat But when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep on specific line of the file

Hi, how can we search for a word (with case ignore )on specific line numbers ex: Awk /^regEX/ with condition on first line or second line Awk/^ regex1/ on line 1 Awk /^regEX2/ on line 3 thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rider29
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to grep a file and cut a corresponding value from the line

i have to grep a file which has contents like /Source/value/valuefile/readme.txt DefaultVersion:=1.7 I have to grep this file with "/Source/value/valuefile/readme.txt" and cut the corresponding value "1.7" from the same line i tried grep and cut but not working. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: codeman007
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep a file from a given line only

Hi all, I'm looking for the line number where the string "total" appears. I know that this is after a given line number which I know. So I would like to know the line number of the first "total" after the line X. Is it possible to use grep a file from a given line only? Thank you, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep a line from a text file

Hi all, I need to grep a line from a log file which ensures me that the application server script is executed successfully. Some body please help me on this. I also need to write a while loop in which i need to use the status of the above grep output. Could some one please tell me how to use... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep command on a line from a file

Dear forum, Please excuse my ignorance. I have looked through various forum posts and tried various solutions but have not been able to solve my problem. File1.txt consist of a list of 100 names (one per line). File2.txt contains details for 1000 people (one per line), with the first field... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginner0302
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep? - using a file of terms to search another file when the information is on a different line

I have a flat file that looks like this, let's call it Chromosome_9.txt: FT /Gene_Name="Guanyl-Acetylase 9" FT /Gene_Number"36952" FT /Gene_Name="Endoplasmic Luciferase" FT /Gene_Number"36953" FT ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep in file and print in the line

hi # cat test.txt Test Date: 20131008 1515 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Saxx = Proc_m0_s13 : 1640 Saxx = Proc_m0_s15 : 1791 Saxx = Proc_m0_s17 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: justbow
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep particular line from a file?

Hi, I am having file like $ cat file sumanth anil harish from the file i want to grep one line at a time depending on the line number.And can it work through grep -n... TIA Please use code tags next time for your code and data. Even if its this small... Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanthupar
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep: Retrieve two strings from one file to find them anyone on line in another file

I am having trouble matching *two* strings from one file anywhere in a line of a second file, and could use some help getting this figured out. My preference would be to use grep for this because I would like to take advantage of its -A option. The latter is due to the fact that I would like both... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)