Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl help - how to assign output of perl to variable Post 302774611 by whipuras on Saturday 2nd of March 2013 02:22:44 PM
Old 03-02-2013
Perl help - how to assign output of perl to variable

Hi, guys, i have a script i inherited from a coworker but i'm not perl savy. The script works but i would like it to work better. I want to run this command

./ciscomgrtest.pl -r "show version" -h hosts.router

and have the script goto each router in the hosts.router file and run the command "show version" on telnet.

Right now the script works but i have to put in the "show version" inside a variable inside the actual script like this.

Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl
#
#
use Net::Ping;
use Net::Telnet;
use Net::DNS::Resolver;
use Getopt::Std;
use lib '/home/sadmin';
use BER;
use SNMP_Session;

$COMMAND = 'show version';

How can i get that -r switch to put the "show version" from the command line into the variable when run? BTW the -r is arbitray, any switch would work.

hope this makes sense. thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to assign an output to a variable

Hi, I am giving a grep command, and i am getting the output. i want to store it in a variable for eg a = grep '12345' /dir/1/2/log.txt ( the output is number) b= grep 'basic' /dir/1/2/log1.txt (in this case the output is character) so how to assign the output of grep to a variable ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

hot to assign output to a variable

I want to assign a comment to a veriable for example my program head -1 myfile I want to assıgn output to a variable (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walnut
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving output from awk into a perl variable

How would I pass awk output to a perl variable? For example, I want to save the value in the 4th column into the variable called test. My best guess is something as follow, but I am sure this isn't correct. $test = system("awk '/NUMBER/{print \$4}' $_"); (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: userix
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping and assigning output to a variable in Perl

Hi All, I am trying to convert the below Csh code into Perl. But i have the following error. Can any expert help ? Error: ls: *tac: No such file or directory Csh set $ST_file = `ls -rt *$testid*st*|tail -1`; Perl my $ST_file = `ls -rt *$testid*st*|tail -1`; (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to assign the output of the interective script to the variable

Hi, I work in ksh88. I have an interective script which prompts the user for the input and returns numeric value depending on the input provided. I need to call this script inside another script and then assign the resulting output the the variable. The call like that A=`my script` obviously... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl:Read single value from text file and assign to variable

Hello All, A part of my very basic perl code requires me to read a single value from a text file. The file output is the following: Reading image ... done IMAGEREGION=0x0x0-256x162x256 VOXELDIMENSION=0.9375000000x1.2000000477x0.9375000000 VOXELNUMBER=10527001... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncl
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign perl output to ksh shell variable

Hello, I am writing a ksh script on an AIX system. I need to get the date and time from a file into a variable. I found the following perl script from another post on this site and modified it slightly to output the format I need: perl -e '@d=localtime ((stat(shift)));... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swimp
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign output to dynamic variable

Hi Folks, I am trying to assign a value from the command to a dynamic variable. But I am not getting the desired output.. I am sure something is wrong so i need experts advise. There will be multiple files like /var/tmp/server_1, /var/tmp/server_2, /var/tmp/server_3, having different server... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i assign directory path to a variable in perl?

Hai how can I assign directory path to a variable in perl Thanks&Regards kiran (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran425
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can i assign directory path to a variable in perl?

Hai how can I assign directory path to a variable in perl Thanks&Regards kiran (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran425
3 Replies
control_rancid(1)					      General Commands Manual						 control_rancid(1)

NAME
control_rancid - run rancid for devices of a group SYNOPSIS
control_rancid [-V] [-m mail_rcpt] [-r device_name] group DESCRIPTION
control_rancid is a sh(1) script to parse a group's router.db(5), run rancid for each of the devices, possibly re-run rancid for devices that failed collection, e-mail diffs, and e-mail error reports. The command-line options are as follows: -V Prints package name and version strings. -m mail_rcpt Specify the recipient of diff mail, which is normally rancid-<group>. The argument may be a single address, multiple comma separated addresses, or -m may be specified multiple times. -r device_name Specify the name, as it appears in the router.db, of a particular device to collect and generate diffs for. The device must be marked "up". The -r option alters the subject line of the diff mail. It will begin with <group name>/<device name> rather than just the group name alone. control_rancid is normally (and best) run via rancid-run(1) which provides a locking mechanism on a group basis and saves output in a log file for each group. SEE ALSO
rancid-run(1), rancid.conf(5), router.db(5) 5 October 2006 control_rancid(1)