Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to use pipe operator as simple character in text file? Post 302774529 by ravi.trivedi on Saturday 2nd of March 2013 10:26:14 AM
Old 03-02-2013
Well, I will try your suggested answer in a while but have got a similar problem as well:

Code:
[root@SVHJ1315 SCRIPTING]# cat cmd
cat -n reduce_opt.sh "|" grep -iw
[root@SVHJ1315 SCRIPTING]# 
[root@SVHJ1315 SCRIPTING]# cat file
echo
[root@SVHJ1315 SCRIPTING]# cat command1 
#!/bin/sh

one=$(sed -n '1p' cmd)
two=$(sed -n '1p' file)
both=`echo $one $two`
echo `$both`
[root@SVHJ1315 SCRIPTING]# ls -lrt command1 
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 94 Mar  2 20:58 command1
[root@SVHJ1315 SCRIPTING]# sh command1 
cat: invalid option -- 'i'
Try `cat --help' for more information.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Wall, Write, select users, pipe a text file, HELP Before I'm Bald!

OK... I'm fairly new to unix having the admin handed to me on a platter w/almost no training. However, being a programmer, I do pick up things fairly easily, but this one is getting the best of me. I have a unix server that runs multiple versions of the same ERP system, hand crafted for our... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chimodel
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem working with Pipe Delimited Text file

Hello all: I have a following textfile data with name inst1.txt HDR|ABCD|10-13-2008 to 10-19-2008.txt|10-19-2008|XYZ DTL|H|5464-1|0|02-02-2008|02-03-2008||||F||||||||| DTL|D|5464-1|1|02-02-2008|02-03-2008|1||JJJ DTL|D|5464-1|2|02-02-2008|02-03-2008|1||JJJ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi0435
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing a field in pipe delimited TEXT File

Hi, I want to replace a field in a text delimited file with the actual number of records in the same file. HDR|ABCD|10-13-2008 to 10-19-2008.txt|10-19-2008|XYZ DTL|0|5464-1|0|02-02-2008|02-03-2008||||F||||||||| DTL|1|5464-1|1|02-02-2008|02-03-2008|1||JJJ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi0435
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe text from a file into an array

Hi Guys I have a question about filling up an array I have a file called USER_FILE.txt it contains the following: Real Name:Thomas A Username:THOMAS_A Real Name:Thomas B Username:THOMAS_B Real Name:Thomas C Username:THOMAS_C Real Name:Thomas D Username:THOMAS_D Real Name:Thomas E... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: grahambo2005
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I use a pipe operator in a variable: OPTION="| command"?

I have a string of commands I am piping some data through and I want to allow command line switches to select which commands are used. I want to do something like this: OPTION="| command3" command1 -a -b c.txt | command2 -d -e $OPTION >result.txt I want to do it that way because OPTION may be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KenJackson
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read the text file and print the content character by character..

hello all i request you to give the solution for the following problem.. I want read the text file.and print the contents character by character..like if the text file contains google means..i want to print g go goo goog googl google like this Using unix Shell scripting... without using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samupnl
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with pipe operator

hi i am having issues with extra pipe. i have a data file and i need to remove the extra pipe in the(example 4th and 7thline) in datafile. there are many other line and filed like this which i need to remove from files. The sample data is below: 270 31|455004|24/03/2010|0001235|72 271... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_n123
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script Help...search then read from file: change text and pipe back...

Hello, I am trying to make a bash script that can pull data from a file and then change one part of said data. I want to search by username and pull the full line. That way there is a way to replace just one part of that line then return it back to the file. My Data is stored like: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: serverfull
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Insert values in multiple lines(records) within a pipe delimited text file in specific cols

this is Korn shell unix. The scenario is I have a pipe delimited text file which needs to be customized. say for example,I have a pipe delimited text file with 15 columns(| delimited) and 200 rows. currently the 11th and 12th column has null values for all the records(there are other null columns... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasan2815
4 Replies

10. Linux

How to run commands with pipe from text file?

Hello, I have standard loop while read -r info; do command $info done < info in info text file I have multiple commands each on line that I want to execute. When I used them in console they worked, but not with this loop. This is one of the commands in info file: grep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adamlevine
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)