Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Server Monitoring Suggestions Post 302774315 by Phylum on Friday 1st of March 2013 03:02:16 PM
Old 03-01-2013
Data Server Monitoring Suggestions

Hi all - newb here.

We're a Windows shop and I'm looking for something [free] that I could stand up to monitor various aspects of our servers. I'm specifically looking for something that can:
  1. verify that servers are up [& responding]
  2. verify services are up [& responding]
  3. verify remote sites are up/accessible
  4. monitor CPU & memory (warn when its above X% sustained for Y mins etc)
  5. monitor latency between this site and the remote site
  6. monitor disk usage (e.g.: warning when its down to 10% etc.)
  7. monitor things like disk queue length (like performance monitor)
  8. monitor exchange specific things like number of mailboxes left to crawl, oustanding batches & outstanding documents to index (again, like performance monitor)
  9. monitor other things like IIS, BES, Lotus Notes, DFS, IronPort - custom services etc

I'm hoping for some sort of nifty frontend that others could have up on monitor/projector to keep an eye on general health & maybe highlight 'problem' areas.

I don't know, but, I suspect I'll need something like Nagios, SmokePing and/or Edoceo to tackle this. Since I have 0 experience with any of these, I figured checking with the community first might be best.

Many thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DHCP Server Suggestions

I need to setup a DHCP server in our office for Macs, Windows (98/ME/NT/2000) Linux and Unix servers and workstations. We want it on a Unix server, but I'm unsure what is out there. The Unix world is new to me, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! Corey (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coreyhead
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

monitoring server

Hello, I work with 4 flavour of UNIX ( AIX, IRIX, HPUX and SUN). I have a problem maintaing the system. can any one let me know of the software or script that will check the date,time services running or not, perticular machine is up or not and post a mail with all the details. It... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepmacha
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Server Monitoring Script !!!

I am the Linux Admin in my organisation and need to write a shell script which will monitor the machine statistics every day and will send a consolidated report to me on my email id / will display the output into a file. Does anyone have such kind of script fulfilling this kind of purpose? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me monitoring the IO for remote server

Hi guys i have purchased sun server for my visualization project. Request you to help me finding the io for disk . I have put storage(disks) on different location (File Server) and on server (Application) i have configured 4 virtual machines. How would i monitor the io for file server from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
0 Replies

5. Web Development

Ubuntu Brainstorm? Server software suggestions please!

I'd like to find a similar sort of software, not ideatorrent, because that would require a full installation of drupal, but some very simple software for users to submit/vote on ideas/proposals for a semi-democratic committee that I'm on. I'd like to enable the people whom this committee... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guptaxpn
1 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

Monitoring Solaris 10 Server

Hi, We user What's Up Gold tool for monitoring the WIndows servers. My idea is to add my Solaris 10 server to this monitoring tool. Is it feasible? If yes, can somebody help in configuring the server onto the tool? My current solaris 10 server is i86pc, and has SNMP daemons running. the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
0 Replies

7. Programming

JMX monitoring on unix server

Hi All, I am new to JMX.Can anybody tell me how to use this it on unix server. Using JMX i want to check the system monitoring(%cpu utilization , size utilization )how to start JMX on UNIX Thanks Double post, continued (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

WPAR monitoring shell script suggestions needed

Hi All, This is for WPAR monitoring shell script, earlier opened thread was closed, had to open a new thread, as suggested I have used script as below, But am trying to get the output in below format, need suggestions with it. Below is the lswpar output, required output format. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
7 Replies

9. Solaris

Need Suggestions to monitoring Scan Rate

Hi All, I need suggestions to monitoring Scan Rate on Solaris Operating System. Any idea? Thanks Edy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
5 Replies

10. Infrastructure Monitoring

Tuxedo server monitoring

Hi I like to use tmadmin commands to monitor running application in tuxedo server 12c.But When i use tmadmin help command i get only meta commands.But i like to check printconn,printclient,printserver like that.But these commands are not avaialble in list.I here pasted the help command... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: selva1587
0 Replies
DateTime::TimeZone::Local::Win32(3)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		       DateTime::TimeZone::Local::Win32(3)

NAME
DateTime::TimeZone::Local::Win32 - Determine the local system's time zone on Windows VERSION
version 1.63 SYNOPSIS
my $tz = DateTime::TimeZone->new( name => 'local' ); my $tz = DateTime::TimeZone::Local->TimeZone(); DESCRIPTION
This module provides methods for determining the local time zone on a Windows platform. HOW THE TIME ZONE IS DETERMINED
This class tries the following methods of determining the local time zone: o $ENV{TZ} It checks $ENV{TZ} for a valid time zone name. o Windows Registry When using the registry, we look for the Windows time zone and use a mapping to translate this to an Olson time zone name. o Windows Vista and 2008 We look in "SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/TimeZoneInformation/" for a node named "/TimeZoneKeyName". If this exists, we use this key to look up the Olson time zone name in our mapping. o Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server We look in "SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Time Zones/" and loop through all of its sub keys. For each sub key, we compare the value of the key with "/Std" appended to the end to the value of "SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/TimeZoneInformation/StandardName". This gives us the English name of the Windows time zone, which we use to look up the Olson time zone name. o Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millenium Edition The algorithm is the same as for NT, but we loop through the sub keys of "SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Time Zones/" AUTHOR
Dave Rolsky <autarch@urth.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2013 by Dave Rolsky. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-10-28 DateTime::TimeZone::Local::Win32(3)