Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Better to Delete or Overwrite Post 302774285 by MadeInGermany on Friday 1st of March 2013 01:50:52 PM
Old 03-01-2013
Creating a guessable tmp file in a public area like /tmp is a security risk.
It is safer to leave such a file, so the next time it is overwritten not created.
There a methods for a safer tmp file, see
Code:
man mktemp

Most safe is to avoid a tmp file. E.g. by using | and (sub shell).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Overwrite

if i want to pipe output to a file, say, cat abc.dat > abc.txt, how do i make it replace the existing file? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duckman
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

overwrite problem

Hi im using the following to copy a file to a directory, the user being prompted to overwrite if the file already exists in that directory, cp -i myfile /home/brief/bin2 but this reveals the path of the directory when being prompted to overwrite (below) cp: overwrite... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali999
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overwrite & Delete in Text File

Dear All, I have text file like this: Header Record 1 Record 2 ....... Record n Tail This line of code : awk '{ if ( NR == 1 ) { head=substr($0,1,300);} else { last = substr($0,1,300);}END{printf "Header is : %-300s Trailer is : %-300s\n", head, last}' filename converted Header... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: 33junaid
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files overwrite in awk

Hi guys, I checked the knowledge base before posting this question. is there any way by which you can ALWAYS ALLOW file overwrite in AWK?. i.e. an option similar to noclobber in Korn shell. I don't to check for files existence and remove them. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Moon Noon
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to overwrite but can delete file

I'm debugging a ksh script written by someone else that does the following: It runs a command and redirects stdout to a file called dberror that already exists using ">". This command fails with the following error: The file access permissions do not allow the specified action. dberror:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: savage66
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

overwrite problem

my script is: awk '...mycode...' file1.txt > file2.txt and i want to overwrite file2.txt eachtime I run this script. but it says:File exists! :( I have tried awk '...mycode...' file1.txt >| file2.txt but it again says:Missing name for redirect! :confused::confused: what is this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux overwrite directory

How do you overwrite a directory with another directory? I know you can delete your directory then copy your directory over, but I would think there would be a way to do this in one step. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

overwrite only if both files are the same size

Dear users, I've been looking for a way to overwrite files only if both have the same size, how could I do this? any help is very appreciated. Best regards, Gery (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overwrite file every day

Hi Friends, I have written a script to capture system performance every hour and redirected to output file. How to overwrite the file every next day? Thanks Suresh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
4 Replies
ns_tmp(3aolserver)					    AOLserver Built-In Commands 					ns_tmp(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ns_mktemp, ns_tmpnam - commands SYNOPSIS
ns_mktemp template ns_tmpnam _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
ns_mktemp returns a unique filename based on the template you specify. ns_tmpnam returns a filename that can safely be used for a tempo- rary file. The template for ns_mktemp should contain a string with six trailing Xs, which will be replaced with an alpha-numeric string of six charac- ters chosen to make the filename unique. If template does not end with six trailing Xs the empty string will be returned. ns_tmpnam calls the tmpnam() C library function, and the results will depend on your operating system. On Irix, for example, tmpnam() always generate a file name using the path-prefix defined as P_tmpdir in the header file which is "/var/tmp/". EXAMPLES
nscp> ns_tmpnam ;# On Linux /tmp/filevuLwaE nscp> ns_mktemp /tmp/foobar.XXXXXX /tmp/foobar.p6SlaC SEE ALSO
nsd(1), mktemp(3), tmpnam(3) KEYWORDS
AOLserver 4.0 ns_tmp(3aolserver)