Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Increase two numeric variables incrementally together Post 302773755 by hubleo on Thursday 28th of February 2013 04:02:07 PM
Old 02-28-2013
Hi, thanks that's also a great idea. There are instances where I could simply add on 6000, but others where I can't, so both yours and bipinajith's solutions should cover what I need. Thanks!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do you to add numbers incrementally?

I've refined the filesystem size using awk and directed to a file name. eg, here's the content in a file called "numbers" $cat numbers 345 543 23423456 44435 546 . . how do you write a script to all these numbers to get the total? thanks a lot. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiem
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

validating variables (numeric)

Hi I need to get a user to enter a number (an exchange rate) into a script. I have the following: #!/bin/ksh echo "Enter exchange rate:" read EX_RATE if \"`" ] then echo "Well done - only numeric here" else echo "Not so well done - there is NON numeric stuff here!" fi This works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjd1
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code to differentiate numeric and non-numeric input

Hi All, Is there any code in Perl which can differentiate between numeric and non-numeric input? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to incrementally backup data & use most recent data

Hey, dunno if the title really explains this well; basically my problem is (and this is on a router which is why the flash issue)... I have some data I want to store (it's really irelevant, i'm just counting the lines per file, basically a simple counter). I could store this data in flash but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pepsi_max2k
0 Replies

5. Programming

How to convert byteArray variables to HexaString variables for Linux?

Hello everybody, I am having problem in converting byte array variables to Hexa String variables for Linux. I have done, converting byte array variables to Hexa String variables for Windows but same function doesn't work for linux. Is there any difference in OS ? The code for Windows is given... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritesh_163
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and Replace random numeric value with non-numeric value

Can someone tell me how to change the first column in a very large 17k line file from a random 10 digit numeric value to a non numeric value. The format of lines in the file is: 1702938475,SNU022,201004 the first 10 numbers always begin with 170 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bahf1s
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux command rsync sending files incrementally

Please, i have a question about rsync command: Here is the command that i have used in my script: rsync -ratlz --rsh="/usr/bin/sshpass ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no" -aAXHltzh --progress --numeric-ids --devices --rsync-path="rsync" $1 $hostname:$1 using this command, i can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a file incrementally

Dear all, I would like to split a file incrementally. My file looks like: $path { $name "path_sparc_ifu_dec_1" ; $transition { "dtu_inst_d" v ; // (in) "U622/Y" ^ ; // (INVX16_LVT) "U870/Y" ^ ; // (AND2X1_LVT) "U873/Y" v ; // (INVX1_LVT) "U872/Y" ^ ; // (NAND3X0_LVT)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jypark22
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read files incrementally and search for particular string.

Example I have following requirements where i need to search for particular string from the log files.Files will be archived with number attached end to it and creates a new log file. First Day i will ran at 8:00 AM Filename:a.log1 Wed Aug 24 04:46:34... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nareshnani211
1 Replies
FITCIRCLE(l)															      FITCIRCLE(l)

NAME
fitcircle - find mean position and pole of best-fit great [or small] circle to points on a sphere. SYNOPSIS
fitcircle [ xyfile ] -Lnorm [ -H[nrec] ] [ -S ] [ -V ] [ -: ] [ -bi[s][n] ] DESCRIPTION
fitcircle reads lon,lat [or lat,lon] values from the first two columns on standard input [or xyfile]. These are converted to cartesian three-vectors on the unit sphere. Then two locations are found: the mean of the input positions, and the pole to the great circle which best fits the input positions. The user may choose one or both of two possible solutions to this problem. The first is called -L1 and the second is called -L2. When the data are closely grouped along a great circle both solutions are similar. If the data have large dispersion, the pole to the great circle will be less well determined than the mean. Compare both solutions as a qualitative check. The -L1 solution is so called because it approximates the minimization of the sum of absolute values of cosines of angular distances. This solution finds the mean position as the Fisher average of the data, and the pole position as the Fisher average of the cross-products between the mean and the data. Averaging cross-products gives weight to points in proportion to their distance from the mean, analogous to the "leverage" of distant points in linear regression in the plane. The -L2 solution is so called because it approximates the minimization of the sum of squares of cosines of angular distances. It creates a 3 by 3 matrix of sums of squares of components of the data vectors. The eigenvectors of this matrix give the mean and pole locations. This method may be more subject to roundoff errors when there are thousands of data. The pole is given by the eigenvector corresponding to the smallest eigenvalue; it is the least-well represented factor in the data and is not easily estimated by either method. -L Specify the desired norm as 1 or 2, or use -L or -L3 to see both solutions. OPTIONS
xyfile ASCII [or binary, see -b] file containing lon,lat [lat,lon] values in the first 2 columns. If no file is specified, fitcircle will read from standard input. -H Input file(s) has Header record(s). Number of header records can be changed by editing your .gmtdefaults file. If used, GMT default is 1 header record. -S Attempt to fit a small circle instead of a great circle. The pole will be constrained to lie on the great circle connecting the pole of the best-fit great circle and the mean location of the data. -V Selects verbose mode, which will send progress reports to stderr [Default runs "silently"]. -: Toggles between (longitude,latitude) and (latitude,longitude) input/output. [Default is (longitude,latitude)]. Applies to geo- graphic coordinates only. -bi Selects binary input. Append s for single precision [Default is double]. Append n for the number of columns in the binary file(s). [Default is 2 input columns]. EXAMPLES
Suppose you have lon,lat,grav data along a twisty ship track in the file ship.xyg. You want to project this data onto a great circle and resample it in distance, in order to filter it or check its spectrum. Try: fitcircle ship.xyg -L2 project ship.xyg -Cox/oy -Tpx/py -S -pz | sample1d -S-100 -I1 > output.pg Here, ox/oy is the lon/lat of the mean from fitcircle, and px/py is the lon/lat of the pole. The file output.pg has distance, gravity data sampled every 1 km along the great circle which best fits ship.xyg SEE ALSO
gmt(1gmt), project(1gmt), sample1d(1gmt) 1 Jan 2004 FITCIRCLE(l)