Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to combine two variable strings? Post 302773663 by Jotne on Thursday 28th of February 2013 12:31:41 PM
Old 02-28-2013
This may work
Code:
var=$(ps -exf | grep $pid)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending strings to variable

is it possible? as i keep reading a file, i want one particular variable to keep storing the line that i've read so far (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: finalight
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

combine data of 2 files by variable

my first post ... please be gentle. I have been working on a script to get info out of mysql. Its a support ticket system database OTRS. I can write the subject of open tickets to a text file with a unique user id. I also have a text file with the unique user id, username and email adres. I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dicenl
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deciphering strings or variable values

Hi, I have a script at the moment of which reads in simply what the latest version is within a folder i.e. v001, v002, v003 etc and then stores this latest version in a variable i.e. $LATEST would echo v003. I have then cut this string so that I only consider the 003 part. I would then like to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl removing strings from a variable value

Dear all, I have a variable called $abc, which the value is something like below, *** *********** : ***** where * can be anything. I need to remove all but the final characters until last whitespace. example grd groupstudy : tutor6/7 becomes tutor6/7 something like if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine 2 values into single variable

Hi gurus, I need to manipulate the output of a database query. The output contains 2 fields (asset and serial number) and I'd like to combine them into a single value, seperated by whitespace. the orginal data is in seprate fileds and of the following format: asset serial asset serial etc ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: melias
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combine two variable result?

Hi, i have two variables i.e lck_ckm_customer=ckm_customer and(present in some script A) table=ckm_customer(present in script B) in script B i am executing this part if ; then --- ---- ---- fi Now, while comparing in my log file i am getting this result if but i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine identical lines and average the one variable field

I have the following file 299899 chrX_299716_300082 196 78.2903 299991 chrX_299982_300000 18.2538 Tajd:0.745591 FayWu:-0.245701 T2:1.45 299899 chrX_299716_300082 196 78.2903 299991 chrX_299982_300000 18.2538 Tajd:0.745591 FayWu:-0.245701 T2:0.283 311027 chrX_310892_311162 300 91.6452... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfern
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with using strings in variable

Hi, I am calling a in-house built api from unix shell script for posting some comments on jira. Facing some problem in handling variables could someone give some insights here. #1) Below is working I have declared a variable called var=testing and used that var in my api it works fine. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: close2jai
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can I combine below mentioned grep commands using OR (when searching strings having spaces)

Command 1: $script | grep 'Write to ECC( SSID=MARGIN)' Command 2: $script | grep 'is not greater than existing logical processing' The above commands run my script and search the mentioned strings but I do not want to run my script twice. It is increasing run time. Can someone tell me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to get multiple strings in one variable

I am processing a file using awk to get few input variables which I'll use later in my script. I am learning to script using awk so please advise in any mistakes I made in my code. File sample is as follows # cat junk1.jnk Folder1 : test_file (File) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunya
5 Replies
scroll(3NCURSES)														  scroll(3NCURSES)

NAME
scroll, scrl, wscrl - scroll a curses window SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int scroll(WINDOW *win); int scrl(int n); int wscrl(WINDOW *win, int n); DESCRIPTION
The scroll routine scrolls the window up one line. This involves moving the lines in the window data structure. As an optimization, if the scrolling region of the window is the entire screen, the physical screen may be scrolled at the same time. For positive n, the scrl and wscrl routines scroll the window up n lines (line i+n becomes i); otherwise scroll the window down n lines. This involves moving the lines in the window character image structure. The current cursor position is not changed. For these functions to work, scrolling must be enabled via scrollok. RETURN VALUE
These routines return ERR upon failure, and OK (SVr4 only specifies "an integer value other than ERR") upon successful completion. X/Open defines no error conditions. This implementation returns an error if the window pointer is null, or if scrolling is not enabled in the window, e.g., with scrollok. NOTES
Note that scrl and scroll may be macros. The SVr4 documentation says that the optimization of physically scrolling immediately if the scroll region is the entire screen "is" per- formed, not "may be" performed. This implementation deliberately does not guarantee that this will occur, to leave open the possibility of smarter optimization of multiple scroll actions on the next update. Neither the SVr4 nor the XSI documentation specify whether the current attribute or current color-pair of blanks generated by the scroll function is zeroed. Under this implementation it is. PORTABILITY
The XSI Curses standard, Issue 4 describes these functions. SEE ALSO
ncurses(3NCURSES), outopts(3NCURSES) scroll(3NCURSES)