Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Why doesn't motd show up when I su to root? Post 302773593 by glev2005 on Thursday 28th of February 2013 09:54:50 AM
Old 02-28-2013
Why doesn't motd show up when I su to root?

When I do sudo -i isn't that like creating a root login shell session? Why isn't motd displayed? motd=message of the day.

---------- Post updated at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:25 AM ----------

I think I answered it myself, it is only called for remote login sessions, once you're connected, subsequent shells only read /etc/profile.d and ~/bashrc etc... Is that correct?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

My sig doesn't show

Is there an issue with it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spetnik
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing old motd with new motd

I need to replace the current /etc/motd text file with a new motd across 30+ servers. Which is the best way to do this? Shell script? sed? Does anyone have an example I can use? Thanks in advance. Unix people are the best!!! :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: antalexi
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Have htdocs/site/ show up at root

I have a site, www.mySite.com I have a folder where pages are served from, htdocs/ I have a folder containing one site at htdocs/drupal/. I'd like to be able to go to www.mySite.com and see the index.php page within the drupal folder, but instead I see a directory listing: drupal phpBB3 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumakuma
9 Replies

4. Solaris

Non-Root mode ... luxadm to show path(s) for Disks

Hi Gurus out there... I am pondering over a situation where I have non-root access (user account), where I am trying to determine paths (including multipaths) on a host. "luxadm display" seems very appropriate, but requires root access. Is there anyway I can get the FC path information? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: verisund
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

Traceroute doesn't show gateway as hop

I have a Linux server connected to the Internet like so: Server (66.77.88.130) -> /29 VLAN Gateway (66.77.88.129) -> Core Router (64.0.0.1) -> Internet If I run a traceroute from my server to an arbitrary site on the internet I get a result like this: # traceroute some-other-server... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramnet
2 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Command Doesn't Show Description

im making c code in linux and im having problems with one command, id should bring up a list but instead id doesnt do nothing, there are no error's, can anyone solve whats wrong ? void environ() { extern char **environ; int i=0; for (i = 0; environ !=NULL;i++) { ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: figureout
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compiling VIM, doesn't show menu and toolbar.

I'm trying to compile vim73 with the Motif Toolkit. ./configure --enable-gui=motif make ./src/vim -g Vim runs in a window, without the standard toolbar and menu bar. I tried to recompile with ./configure --enable-gui=gnome2It compiled with GTK2 toolkit, but still no menubar, nor toolbar.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
0 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Grub Doesn't show menu

Hi guys. I have installed Acronis disk director in windows XP and allocate some free space to install Debian beside fedora. after completion i rebooted and now grub is in command line mode and does not show the menu list. (I didn't remove the fedora partition. I just allocate some space from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

sendmail doesn't work for root

I've created a Perl daemon that needs to send an email when an error/shutdown occurs. I use the Perl Email::Valid module and that uses sendmail. When I run the script as a regular user, the email is sent with no issues. When I run the script as the root user, I get the following message in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OldManEd
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounted to mac, doesn't show DIR contents on first 'ls'

Hi, I have a cronjob that mounts machines every 15 minutes. sudo mount -t cifs -o username=Ren_user,password=AIB#1109$,nounix,bg,sec=ntlmssp //10.204.129.233/Desktop /mnt/clinical/234mac When I open a new shell and ls /mnt/clinical/234macto the mount point it is blank, but when I do the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
7 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)